Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

^ are there any options in terms of custom firmwares etc. to mod the Galaxy S? Also,I was reading there is no option to turn off Touchwiz - is that true?

This was actually another problem - as compared to HTC devices, the icons and general UI seemed quite drab to me in the Galaxy S.

294nd04.jpg

^ This is the same nonsense I got (and have been getting since May). While it was refreshing to see a manufacturer actually quoting a date (as opposed to likes of Nokia that just say "we have no information"), the fact that they have got this date wrong since May till August now, completely negates it and makes the experience more frustrating.

I wonder if the delay is because of this:
HTC makes Super LCD screens for Desire and Nexus One official -- Engadget

What's curious is that they are trying to present it as if super LCD is better than AMOLED. While I don't know which one is better, it begs the question why did they not use Super LCDs anyway in the first place?

any word on the moto droid X guys ? Need a new phone badly ... Droid 2 , Droid X , Samsung GalaxyS , HTC EVO are what im thinking off

Thanks a ton and sorry for the thread crap ! :p

Cheers and kind regards..

toolius said:
any word on the moto droid X guys ? Need a new phone badly ... Droid 2 , Droid X , Samsung GalaxyS , HTC EVO are what im thinking off

Thanks a ton and sorry for the thread crap ! :p

Cheers and kind regards..
Droid X is CDMA phone that is available for verizon network. and there is no release date on Droid X's GSM version. It may taken another month or two. right now, if you want a phone with support, Samsung Galaxy S is a good option or check for Motorola XT720 that is going to be released very soon.

Honestly I wouldnt touch XT720. It still has that damn unlockable bootloader (at least for now, but I dont see it changing as even Milestone is not yet broken ).

it has just 256MB Ram.

The only good thing about this phone is camera. But I wouldnt put nearly 30 grands on an Android phone that has unlockable bootloader.

The Processor is A8 so even though its 720Mhz, it packs enough punch, thats not an issue. But this move by motorola to not up the RAM to 512MB and their obsession with encrypted bootloader is seriously uncool.

Checksum said:
Especially the pinkish tint due to the pentile matrix screen of the Nexus One/Desire seemed bothersome. It might not be that apparent, but just seeing pics/videos of it online put me off. Too bad HTC is taking the Desire lightly in India. It had very good potential to become the best selling high end android phone here
The pinkish tint problem will be solved with the new SLCD screens I guess.

You are right. I am waiting for this phone too but looks like they have no firm plans on the launch. Maybe India is not a top priority market to HTC and the display shortage might only be pushing the launch date further. Legend and wildfire was launched because they did not have this AMOLED shortage issues.

Meanwhile I mailed HTC support asking them if the desire is launched second week august, will it be launched with Froyo.. They replied saying they have no information of OS of Desire. Did they mean they have no idea what OS Desire is running or did they mean they have no information on OS upgrade, only god knows...:ashamed::ashamed:

They could have either said yes it will come or no it will not come preloaded with Froyo. But they got back saying they have no information. If the customer care has no information, then how are they planning on helping the customer.. :no::no:

I think where the Sony Ericsson models fail is that they are not multi-touch (AFAIK). Motorola XT720 has low RAM and a much slower processor. I don't care about the camera.

It really is between a Galaxy S and waiting till a better phone comes out / someone coming from abroad can get me a nexus one.

Any reason why most people prefer Nexus one over HTC desire other than getting the fastest android updates? Am I missing something? I am contemplating buying an Android phone and I am kind of convinced that HTC desire is better (slightly more RAM) and cheaper than Nexus one. I understand that I might not be the early ones to get the android OS update, but I am not missing much either. I haven't used a sense UI or plain vanilla android UI, but have definitely been spoilt by iOS. Looking at various comparisons and videos (and one chance to play around with N1), I found the response to be similar to iOS.

^ I think one of the other differences is that whoel Google search / navigation by voice thing. I don't think (IIRC) that the Desire has it. Other than that the obvious difference is that the Nexus One has a trackball and the Desire has a optical trackpad - though I have not been able to find a comparison between the two, so can't say which one is supposed to be better.

How do you say that the Desire is cheaper? AFAIK they are about the same cost.

Also, the whole getting updates thing can make a big difference. For instance, I use my bluetooth headset a lot and use ti to dial by voice. 2.1 does nto have that feature, but 2.2. (froyo) does. So that can mean a whole lot or nothing at all depending from person to person.

Anyway, neither is available officially in India, so wtf.

vebk said:
^ I think one of the other differences is that whoel Google search / navigation by voice thing. I don't think (IIRC) that the Desire has it. Other than that the obvious difference is that the Nexus One has a trackball and the Desire has a optical trackpad - though I have not been able to find a comparison between the two, so can't say which one is supposed to be better.

How do you say that the Desire is cheaper? AFAIK they are about the same cost.

Also, the whole getting updates thing can make a big difference. For instance, I use my bluetooth headset a lot and use ti to dial by voice. 2.1 does nto have that feature, but 2.2. (froyo) does. So that can mean a whole lot or nothing at all depending from person to person.

Anyway, neither is available officially in India, so wtf.
Cheaper for me = Price in India = Grey market quotes / Ebay. AFAIK, desire is about 25-26k and N1 is about 29-30k. Umm, may be the feature may mean a lot to you, but there are work arounds and yes for me as a new android user, I wouldn't miss anything as I am just going to be a guy who is new to it :). I'll accept it for what it is and what it isn't.

I'd have gone with the legend if not for the lower res screen. I know I won't be able to get Gingerbread on it as it has a 600Mhz proc, but I don't think I'll need it, unless all my apps start throwing up errors saying I need to upgrade to the latest OS (like in the case of an iPhone, where I was forced to upgrade from 2.2.x to 3.0 for a few apps/upgrades to work). The legend's screen is similar to that of an iPhone 3g (HVGA) so I am still wondering if a WVGA would really make that big a difference for me? Hmm, the only way I can find out is by having a test run of all of these devices. Will do so this weekend and buy it :).

As far as the differences between N1 and Desire go, it won't be a deal breaker for me to pick Desire over N1. The only reason being, trackball or trackpad won't matter as I'll be using touch to operate the phone. Voice search is a nice to have option, but I can live without it.

By the way, does anyone have a contact in bangalore where I can buy a Desire? Any leads/help will be great and I'd be really grateful and a beer from me :D. Thanks in advance! :)

Back