Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

Go for the XT720 dude.

A really good phone

Else(if possible ) get a dell streak from US...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Go for the XT720 dude.
A really good phone
Else(if possible ) get a dell streak from US...

vebk said:
Just thought I'd post an update. I've been in touch with HTC Asia and they said that the delay is because of short supply and they have only been giving target dates, but it all really depends on when the suppliers provide them with the shipment. Also, more than likely these pieces will have Super LCD screens, not AMOLED. The jury is still out there whether Super LCD is any worse or better than AMOLED or not. But my own gut feeling is that they are not going to be able to launch it next week as they have been saying.
I contacted the customer support too and even on 08-08-10 they kept saying Second Week of August for HTC desire.... Let's just hope they are not pushing the dates any further.. :ashamed:

^ This time we may be close. I have got a report from HTC Asia that a shipment of Desires has been sent to India and should be reaching here in a couple of days (very very likely before the end of this week). But I am not sure of what time it takes from there to actually reach the retail stores (customs, transportation, etc.). As always, when the Phone will be available in the market, it will be there on their website. So keep a lookout in dealerships and the website! (especially since reportedly the stock may not last long!)

Hey vebK, if you find a place where you can get your hands on this thing then send me a PM. i live in south delhi too maybe we can checkout this thing.

I am not too sure whether to go for Desire or Galaxy S.

^ I know :) If the Desire isn't overpriced (i.e. over 30k) I am definitely going for it over the Galaxy S. Else I am importing a Dell Streak from the US.

There are two HTC authorized dealers within 2km of my place, so I think I will be paying them a visit in a couple of days.

^Does the Dell Streak fit inside a pocket? It seemed to be unusually large to be called portable! :ashamed:

Btw is it already available unlocked in the US?

PS: Desire over the Galaxy S anyday. The build quality of the G S sucks donkey balls. :\

^ according to various reviews the Dell Streak does fit into the average pocket. Anyway youtube it and decide for yourself. It's not yet available in the U.S. either, but is on the verge of it.

The only reason i prefer Galaxy S over HTC is the extra .3" :) . Otherwise i would any day go for Desire .. eyes closed.

@vebK : do post the price once you get the info on it. I will try and get it from grey market coz there is no use of HTC warranty :mad:

vebk said:
^ This time we may be close. I have got a report from HTC Asia that a shipment of Desires has been sent to India and should be reaching here in a couple of days (very very likely before the end of this week). But I am not sure of what time it takes from there to actually reach the retail stores (customs, transportation, etc.). As always, when the Phone will be available in the market, it will be there on their website. So keep a lookout in dealerships and the website! (especially since reportedly the stock may not last long!)

It's almost end of second week of august, and still no sign of any launch.. sigh!!

No news so far. Basically that the shipment is en route to India, and that before the actual retail pieces hit the market, their website will be updated. Let's wait and see. I will probably stop by the HTC authorized retailer on the weekend to see if they have any news.

vebk said:
No news so far. Basically that the shipment is en route to India, and that before the actual retail pieces hit the market, their website will be updated. Let's wait and see. I will probably stop by the HTC authorized retailer on the weekend to see if they have any news.
Hope that shipment was not in the sinking container ship at mumbai :| .If so any one knows scuba diving .Lot of androids under the sea .:bleh:

^ I seriously doubt (this is just my guess) the price of the officially launched model is going to be very much less than that (if not more). So if 27.7k seems excessive to you, do go for some other phone.

vebk said:
^ I seriously doubt (this is just my guess) the price of the officially launched model is going to be very much less than that (if not more). So if 27.7k seems excessive to you, do go for some other phone.
I am somehow losing hope about Desire, have almost made up my mind on SGS or Legend. I know that I won't be starting at the screen all day long and I like my phones to feel strong and sturdy. But on a 6 months EMI, the difference between legend and SGS is just 750 bucks. So yeah, just evaluating...

This is a wrong time for Android phone lovers, so many options, but none perfect :p. Or the problem is with us buyers, who don't know what they want ;).

How nice would it be if Mobiles were like PCs. I can pick a screen(S-Amoled), processor(A8 1Ghz PowerVGR), Ram of my choice(512MB), assemble it (in Legend Casing) and load an OS(Android with sense) i want.... Guess it can happen only in my dream...

I also am waiting for Desire, not exactly to buy but just that it will lead to some change in the market.

Most probably the price for Desire would be close to Galaxy S only, maybe a bit more. Just see the pricing for Legend, its 22.5 k , the Galaxy S is only 5k costlier.

I actually had plans to go in for Spica, but it went out of the market , and all the upcoming Androids (<20k) have a low res screen. This really pisses me off, even though we know that Samsung can easily launch high res, good phones for the mid range (spica, i7500), they deliberately now want the mid range to be lower spec'ed (Wildfire, X10Mini, Galaxy 3, 5)

Acer Liquid E however is about 20k and its base specs are the same as desire. So, now I am torn between Acer Liquid E (lower price) or Galaxy S (the crown jewel)

Back