Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

Good NEWS people! I had almost made up my mind about SGS, and I was talking to this other dealer in Gandhi Bazaar about Desire. He had quoted 27 k for it a couple of weeks back. Today, I was in that area and thought, heck might as well go and check the desire to see what's special in it. The owner who I was talking to was not there, eventually one of the guys called him and told him that I was there to check out Desire. Then the dealer said that HTC announced Desire in the morning today and he will give it to me on Monday with bill and warranty. Guess the price? :D I just hope the news is true, if yes, Monday morning, I'll have the HTC desire with me ;).

ultra vires said:
Hellwrath, can you please tell us where this dealer is ( city and address ) ??

I was about to buy HTC Desire without bill and warranty from ebay for 25k :O , you saved me :D ( reps for you buddy)

He's in bangalore :). The place is called New Mas in Gandhi Bazaar, Bangalore. Thanks for the rep :), you could have waited till it's confirmed :D.

Parv said:
^^ Gandhi Bazaar :S

Make sure you check everything means bill and warranty card before you pay them.

Generally a lot of grey stuff is sold there.

I think you're confusing Gandhi Nagar with Gandhi Bazaar :). Gandhi Nagar is close to Majestic, with national market (grey market) etc. Gandhi Bazaar is close to Basavangudi. Yep, I'll definitely make sure I get a HTC India Warranty card along, or else I ain't buying it.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ah, so it's confirmed! AWESOME! Flipkart is in Koramangala, wish they allowed me to shop there tomorrow ;).

That's great news :)

So,can anyone confirm whether the screen the desire now comes with is the SLCD one? I am tempted to buy this phone.But, am apprehensive about the camera quality..(I hate carrying my camera around;for me, the camera quality of say, a N82 [picture capture] would suffice, with good 30 fps or more 480 p recording capability even under low-light situations). I guess the video recording capability of Samsung Galaxy S far exceeds the Desire, but how about images? Does, having the LED flash help in low-light situations?

Out of the two authorized dealers near my house, one was shut today on account of independence day, and the other did not have any clue about the desire and said it's not been launched yet. I asked him to call me once it was released, but he declined. I will go to the other one tomorrow or day after, and I hope the information we have got so far on the price is right, because 26990 wold be spot on!

p.s. here is the android os.in article referred to by ultra vires (which says it's available for 27.5k):

http://androidos.in/2010/08/exclusive-htc-desire-finally-available-in-india-for-rs-27500/

p.p.s. Ordered a stealth guards full body protection shield in anticipation, since it's available for $3.85 shipped to India (Link here). Hope this news is correct, otherwise I will be selling this thing in the TE market place soon! :p

Back