Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

vebk said:
p.p.s. Ordered a stealth guards full body protection shield in anticipation, since it's available for $3.85 shipped to India (Link here). Hope this news is correct, otherwise I will be selling this thing in the TE market place soon! :p
Did too ;). Haha, we think alike :p. News is confirmed, there was another dealer I spoke to in Bangalore, who had the stock as of today but was quoting 31k! I was like, take a hike. I spoke to Sathya's dealer as well, he confirmed that he will be getting it tomorrow. Atleast in Bangalore, most of the dealers I have spoken to have acknowledged the release and are awaiting the delivery, which is tomorrow at many places.

Hey where did you order yours from ??

Edit : crap.. checked the post now, link is there.. Can someone please confirm the price for desire??

I will buy the screen guard accordingly..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys did you check the Pink Tint issue on AMOLED screen ??
If thats the case with Indian shipment then i am waiting for a SLCD screen.

ultra vires said:
Hey where did you order yours from ??

Edit : crap.. checked the post now, link is there.. Can someone please confirm the price for desire??

I will buy the screen guard accordingly..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys did you check the Pink Tint issue on AMOLED screen ??

If thats the case with Indian shipment then i am waiting for a SLCD screen.

Well, I paid about $4 for shipping, that's all :).

AFAIK, the pinkish tint is not on all phones, so yeah, I'll check that as well today.

ultra vires said:
^^ Hehe i was asking the price of desire :p

if its 31k then i am going for Galaxy S.
Oh ok, the least price quoted so far has been 26,990. But he is yet to give me a call when the stock arrives. Infact, most dealers in bangalore are saying that it will be available in the evening today and for 28k. Even on flipkart, it's 27.3k.

Went to the other dealer near my house today. According to him, there is no news of the Desire, and there will be no news till the 18th. According to him HTC is changing its national distributor, and right now they are in the midst of switching from one company to another, which shall only complete by the 18th. According to the dealer, after that it may take 10-15 days to finally arrive in stock. Hopefully he is only talking nonsense (as I find many dealers doing on a regular basis), otherwise this is bad news! :(

vebk said:
Went to the other dealer near my house today. According to him, there is no news of the Desire, and there will be no news till the 18th. According to him HTC is changing its national distributor, and right now they are in the midst of switching from one company to another, which shall only complete by the 18th. According to the dealer, after that it may take 10-15 days to finally arrive in stock. Hopefully he is only talking nonsense (as I find many dealers doing on a regular basis), otherwise this is bad news! :(
Sigh, I am still waiting on my dealer to call me about arrival of stock. If it happens today or max tomorrow, I might buy it. Else, SGS here I come :).

ultra vires said:
^^ What happens to your shield guards then :p ..

Even im getting edgy.. might buy Samsung if desire doesn't show up today :mad:
Lol, no idea what I'll do with the shield guard :D

The more HTC delays it's launch or stock, the more I am liking the galaxy s :p.

EDIT: On a second note, it could be the legend as well, I just love the body and it's size. Anyways, still hoping to get desire today or tomorrow.

Interestingly the androidos.in article (as well as several others sites) are reporting an official press release launching the HTC Desire in India at a MOP of R. 28,990/- Weirdly, I can't find anything like this on the HTC India site or the Tata Docomo site (who have supposedly partnered with them as per the said press release). And no one has given any links or even a scan of an official press release or anything like that.... hmmmmmmmmm.......?

Another link,
HTC Desire launched in India with Tata - Online Best Latest HTC Desire launched in India with Tata Price Reviews | Features in India

Cell phone dealer refered to me by Sathyanaidu, called me (as I have been pestering him too) and said that it will be available tomorrow and will be priced at Rs.26,750. Cheaper than the guy I have been talking to, another reason to negotiate. It seems the bangalore distributor didn't get the stock today and will be getting it only tomorrow morning, hence the delay. The same reason was quoted by both, so I believe that to be true. I guess I'll need some more patience :D.

ultra vires said:
What is this drama ?? :( can somebody please get me the dealer for HTC desire with price below 27k ?? ( in Delhi )
vpraveenis said:
Wow... 27K is my Max limit. Anyone know what's the best price in Chennai??
Any reason you guys don't want to order off flipkart? It's just a couple of hundred bucks more than your budget and it's free shipping. Give it a thought.

Hellwrath said:
Any reason you guys don't want to order off flipkart? It's just a couple of hundred bucks more than your budget and it's free shipping. Give it a thought.

Want to feel a live device in hand... I want to play with one for sometime and feel completely satisfied before giving away 27 grands..... I have to convince my brain that it is actually worth it:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Edit: Some sites say it's AMOLED, some say its SLCD (and one site said AMOLED first and down below it said SLCD) and every site says it comes with 2.1.... Where is the Froyo?? It's all so confusing....

vpraveenis said:
Want to feel a live device in hand... I want to play with one for sometime and feel completely satisfied before giving away 27 grands..... I have to convince my brain that it is actually worth it:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Haha alright :). Look around, try vasavi, you might get it there. Infact, I had contacted Vasavi for a Nexus one about 3-4 weeks back and they had said they have a branch, but they gave my number to the dealer I am in contact with now. So, they might have it. Give it a shot.

Back