Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

Desire too has voice search and dial integration. In fact this feature is not restricted to any phone as such.

And having optical trackball or simple scroll ball is lifesaver for these high resolution capacitive screens. It's immensely useful to navigate quickly to particular word or letter for editing / fixing typos while smsing / mailing, text selection for copy pasting, marking strings for searching etc. Much faster and more accurate that your finger touch at this.

Dell streak is mainly a tablet. Using it as primary phone is a challenge. Big gadgets are always difficult to carry and safeguard on day to day basis.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

vebk said:
Hmmmmmm, maybe I should wait for this:
Dell Streak India Launch in October ?

If they Froyo this bad boy, it would be the perfect device for me! 1GHz, 5" screen and Gorilla glass! Awesome! Plus I would trust Dell to come up with timely updates more than I would trust Samsung or HTC India (stress on India).

If you're ok buying it off ebay, there's a premium deal for Dell streak for about 36k. Check it out.

Hellwrath said:
Any reason why most people prefer Nexus one over HTC desire other than getting the fastest android updates? Am I missing something? I am contemplating buying an Android phone and I am kind of convinced that HTC desire is better (slightly more RAM) and cheaper than Nexus one. I understand that I might not be the early ones to get the android OS update, but I am not missing much either. I haven't used a sense UI or plain vanilla android UI, but have definitely been spoilt by iOS. Looking at various comparisons and videos (and one chance to play around with N1), I found the response to be similar to iOS.

IIRC the desire comes with FM radio, while the N1 does not have it (Or maybe 2.2 for N1 brought it???). It might not make a big differentce to people who dont use FM, but I do use it pretty often..

Hellwrath said:
If you're ok buying it off ebay, there's a premium deal for Dell streak for about 36k. Check it out.

Too expensive, and it's locked (O2). Would rather get a sealed pack (factory unlocked) from the UK for 31-32k. Or wait till it released in the US and get it for 25-26k from there.

Wonder what the price in India is going to be. I think around 30k.

5" screen ? That's too large to carry around as a phone . Anyways you can also checkout the Motorola Milestone XT720 , its available for 28k'ish i think . Not the very best of processors but pretty decent specs overall .

after using the xperia x10, i sure would recommend it since it carries a 1 year warranty and is assured of getting atleast eclair soon..

multitouch is speculated to be unlocked with the 2.1 update, since there are rumors that SE isnt declaring it due to patents from apple.

yes, desire is better that xperia..but warranty does make a difference..atleast for me..

and i do prefer x10 over the galaxy, just because of the looks, build quality and UI.

coming from iphone and being a new user to android, you wont even know what ur missing even if you are on the lower version of android.

XT720: not considering because of the processor. Overpriced IMHO.

Xperia X10: It doesn't even have eclair? Out!

I think I will wait to see if the HTC Desire is being launched in the next couple of weeks, now that Froyo is supposed to roll out in a matter of a week or so. Otherwise I will try to get a Dell Streak from the US when it releases there. Till either of these happen I have to suffer my el cheapo Nokia dumbphone.

That 720Mhz chip in XT720 is Arm Cortex A8 chip. In terms of performance, its on par with snapdragon. THat shouldnt be your deciding factor.

But I would still not touch any motorola android phone at this point.

vebk said:
XT720: not considering because of the processor. Overpriced IMHO.

Xperia X10: It doesn't even have eclair? Out!

I think I will wait to see if the HTC Desire is being launched in the next couple of weeks, now that Froyo is supposed to roll out in a matter of a week or so. Otherwise I will try to get a Dell Streak from the US when it releases there. Till either of these happen I have to suffer my el cheapo Nokia dumbphone.
why r u waiting for the desire to be launched .. just pick it up from the grey market .

if ur under the impression that htc india is going to repair ur phone incase something happens to it you can forget it ..htc india service is so pathetic that their service centre staff does not even know names of most of the phones htc launches . so warranty for htc phones does not matter .

i had an hd2 with warranty but when i called their service centre to get a new battery cover they told me that they had not even heard of the phone and this was within 15 days of the phone being officially launched

the desire is available in mumbai for 25750 in the grey market.

warranty iis of no use when is come to htc phones in India . u have to take the risk and buy the phone and hope it works well . It same as buying an iphone from the grey market in india

^ If it's around the same price, I would rather go with warranty than without. Their after sales service may be bad, but in case the phone goes completely kaput, at least they would replace it. In the grey market, I would just be out 25-26k, which is not a small sum for me.

Just thought I'd post an update. I've been in touch with HTC Asia and they said that the delay is because of short supply and they have only been giving target dates, but it all really depends on when the suppliers provide them with the shipment. Also, more than likely these pieces will have Super LCD screens, not AMOLED. The jury is still out there whether Super LCD is any worse or better than AMOLED or not. But my own gut feeling is that they are not going to be able to launch it next week as they have been saying.

Unfortunately this means that as of now I have no option but to either buy a grey market piece or wait for the Dell Streak, which apparently is supposed to release in October (or import one from the States).

Sucks that I have the money, and want to buy a legit piece (with bill and warranty) and I can't.

^ who's talking about nexus? We're talking about the HTC Desire (and the Dell Streak). And if you read the thread, I think I have made it pretty apparent that I really dislike the build quality of the Galaxy S. That and TouchWiz. Everything else is great about the phone (or at least fixable thanks to xda). I even went to the extent of looking on ebay in other countries whether anyone was selling better manufactured replacement cases for the body of the Galaxy S, but no luck.

Hi.

BTW Xperia X10 has no Multitouch support

But X10 mini has Multitouch support.......

And i recommend getting backflip or Legend or galaxy S(if budget allows you to)

Shripad said:
That 720Mhz chip in XT720 is Arm Cortex A8 chip. In terms of performance, its on par with snapdragon. THat shouldnt be your deciding factor.

But I would still not touch any motorola android phone at this point.

Shripad, by the way, while the XT720 chip is rated at a possible 720, Moto is running it at the same old lower speed of 550 Mhz for now. Its rumored that they may fix it in a future firmware, but thats somethign NOT to depend on while buying it.

So another point against it :)

Source:

Milestone XT720 CPU speed confusion

Root Access for Milestone XT720 [Archive] - xda-developers

Back