Need some advice on purchasing Washing Machine

This will be my first washing machine and I am truly clueless what should I look for. Need your help with some pointers. Following are some details if they help.

1. Top load machine for a family of two.
2. Weight- between 6-7 kg. I mean I don't know. Will 7 kg be too much for 2 people. We will be primarily using it for washing heavy clothes like bedsheets, curtains, recron pillows. I was thinking of getting 6.5 kgs if in case there is extra load. 7 kg just to be extra safe.
3. Which brand to look for? No idea. LG seems fine. Anyone which has a better service record. I have had bad experiences with big brands like Sony, Hitachi, IFB. So will be avoiding them. Samsung, LG have been good for me. My 2002 Samsung refrigerator still going strong.
4. Most important- I live in an area where the issue of corrosion is significant. So any company which offers durable electronics will be preferred.(Seems LG already got a head start here with corrosion proof and inverter tech.)
5. Availability of spare parts.
6. I live on 4th floor and the main water tank is on the 8th floor(terrace). So I am assuming there shouldn't be any issue with water pressure. In summers it may create some problem when water supply is reduced.
7. Budget 15,000-18,000
What are the other things I need to look for? Do I need to get a wheel tray? I mean I am looking at a possibility that I might have to move the machine during summers when water supply and pressure is low.
What are the demerits of not having the required water pressure?

Last edited:
Hi,

7 kg is a better choice for your requirements as you intend to wash heavy clothes like curtains, you can even opt for 8 kg it won't make much difference.
You can also wash foot mats made of clothes. With 7-8 kg capacity you can even use it once for 2-3 days bulk load like on weekends.
We don't change waching machines like mobile phones so extra headroom is always a good option and with 50-60% load machine will perform with better efficiency.
we're also a family of two and using Bosch 8kg front load machine since winter 2018 and I don't think it's something big or bulky for our requirements.
Another aspect is to look for energy rating and as for the brands you've already decided well.

I 've heard more complaints of Hitachi than IFB, but IFB is still ok but may not be better than LG or samsung.
Just like your 2002 Samsung mine 2009 Samsung is doing well too :happy: but for washing machine I think LG's a better choice I had seen LG's machine with some seriously good build quality which I can't deny.
You can also look for Whirlpool, mine whirlpool top loading fully automatic served me well since 1998-2017 don't know if they still maintain good quality.
Corrosion can damage any electronic product and no company provides extra something regarding this but as you've already figured out about some LG's corrosion proofing and inverter tech it's just fine.

Availability of spare parts is another important aspect but if you've dealer or service provider in your city it's not a problem, they can manage parts from other cities even if it's out of warranty.
I remember such an incidence with my Mitsubishi AC but it was never a problem.

If you've got good water pressure on 4th floor it's not a problem but definitely a good tray with lockable wheels is required so you can move the machine as per your requirements.
you may need to move the machine sometimes to clean or wipe the floor, it also raises the total height making if comfortable to take out the clothes or to clean some water splashes on the machine body.

you can also buy a machine cover if you like,
demerits of not having required pressure is nothing, machines 've got inbuilt sensors so it will halt in between if the pressure is low.
in this case nothing can be done with front loading but as it's top loading you can pause - open the lid and pour a bucket of water ,
this is not advisable but I had done it a few times with my old machine :tonguewink:

I would strongly recommend a front load. These days a decent shirt costs 2k. A top load is really harsh on clothes. Like Nitendra Singh has mentioned above, washing machines last much longer than phones. Over time, the use case changes to include everyday clothes like shirts tshirts etc. You want a machine that doesnt take the sheen off the expensive shirts. When I set up my place post marriage, was grappling with too many expenses. Bought a cheap front load Haier which was being used as a display piece in the shop. It cost 16k. I had stupidly sold my one year old Bosch front load for very cheap before shifting to avoid the hassle of shifting it across cities. It was a bad move. The haier washes just fine and isn't too harsh but it takes 2 hours to wash a round in normal mode.

If I had to do it again, I would get a Bosch or Samsung 7kg front load. The Samsung at my parents' place is running fine even after around 10 years. Occasionally needs repairs and has no parts availability issue.

Definitely, like icysmoke said I'll also opt for front loading over top. I think you should reconsider your decision for top loading machine.

I am constrained for space in kitchen where the machine will be setup. More importantly, it's the cost that is not in my favour. I am not sure if my dad would allow for a costly machine. If i can get hold of FL(front load) around 20k then perhaps I could convince my dad.
Anyone has an idea how much would be the price difference between a machine from an e-commerce site and a retail unit from shop?

Last edited:
I had recently bought LG Front load washing machine from Amazon during the Prime day sale for around 27K with bank discounts and exchange of old Bosch washing machine. This is the one I had bought during Prime day sale - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08CPP59KH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also whatever brand you buy make sure the drum and bearing is not welded together since if the bearing has worn off you need to replace the drum also along with the bearing. I came to know of this when the Bosch WM bearing needed to be replaced and was quoted around 15K for replacing both the drum and bearing but the drum needed no replacement and Bosch chose to make sure you replace the drum when the bearing goes off. More on this on the below thread.

Thanks for the replies..
Do I need to go for a trolley? The only reason for getting trolley would be to clean the marble floor under the machine which would get stained if not cleaned regularly.
But I have also read that machine would be unbalanced leading to more vibrations and wear and tear. LG specifically mentions not to put on a trolley.
If not using trolley, how do you get to clean the under area?
Any opinion?

The LG WM vibrates a lot in 1000 to 1200 RPM. Using a trolley might make it to vibrate more. I used a trolley with Bosch machine and the vibration was very low. The same cannot be said about LG WM. You cannot clean the area where the machine is placed as the gap between the machine and the floor is only few inches. Maybe you can tilt the machine backward once in a while to clean the floor if you are up to it.

So i finalised an LG w/m FL. I have some questions if anyone has gone with extended warranty(E/W) and if they did, which one did they opt for.
I live in an are which is more prone to corrosion so I do want to extend it if it's worth it.

1. Should I opt for E/W? Are they genuinely good?
2. Vijay sales gives E/W from Onsitego. Is it reputable? Can anyone share their experience? I did go through their website and they do mention service for all parts except physical damage which is understandable.
3. Another one is from Super Electronics which is "LG BRAND STORE." Should I opt for them? I didn't inquire from which party they source.
4. Cost wise not much difference. Both bring the final price to 30k-31kk(incl of GST)
5. Has anyone of you opted for E/W from LG itself? Super guy told me there would be a difference of 3000 and he is sought of correct as 18% gst over 5000. I don't mind going for their E/W if there is genuine advantage over other parties E/W.
6. Do any of third party ones renew after 5 years? LG has mentioned it does based on its working.

I am finalising it in 1-2 days so it would be really helpful if you can advise as early as possible.
Thanks.

So i finalised an LG w/m FL. I have some questions if anyone has gone with extended warranty(E/W) and if they did, which one did they opt for.
I live in an are which is more prone to corrosion so I do want to extend it if it's worth it.

1. Should I opt for E/W? Are they genuinely good?
2. Vijay sales gives E/W from Onsitego. Is it reputable? Can anyone share their experience? I did go through their website and they do mention service for all parts except physical damage which is understandable.
3. Another one is from Super Electronics which is "LG BRAND STORE." Should I opt for them? I didn't inquire from which party they source.
4. Cost wise not much difference. Both bring the final price to 30k-31kk(incl of GST)
5. Has anyone of you opted for E/W from LG itself? Super guy told me there would be a difference of 3000 and he is sought of correct as 18% gst over 5000. I don't mind going for their E/W if there is genuine advantage over other parties E/W.
6. Do any of third party ones renew after 5 years? LG has mentioned it does based on its working.

I am finalising it in 1-2 days so it would be really helpful if you can advise as early as possible.
Thanks.
1. Yes
2. My flagship phone was covered under onsitego EW, was a good exp overall though they cover only a ltd. value the bal you need to pay. Clear the same with Vijay sales.
5. If the brand itself is offering EW then always go for it as anyways third parties like onsitego source the parts. etc from the brand itself and still levy some amount on the customer stating capping value etc.
6. Third party once done for the mentioned years there is no way again to renew it so think before opting for 1/3 or 5 yrs when you buy the product.

Last edited:
Is corrosion covered in any EW? I very much doubt it, and wouldn't go on anyone's word unless it's specified in the terms and conditions.

Is corrosion covered in any EW? I very much doubt it, and wouldn't go on anyone's word unless it's specified in the terms and conditions.

But if any part is damaged due to such factors they are covered. Mostly like the control panel.
Doubtful as cosmetics and physical damages aren't covered.
Only mechanical, electrical and operational components that too subject to manhandling etc.

Let's say the control/display panel gets corrupted due to moisture(not by intentionally putting water) from the air. Will it still be not covered under warranty?

The Lg main controller board is covered with atleash 1/2inch deep of resin, so there is no way moisture is getting inside it. I didn't opt for any extended warranty, FL washing machines from reputed brands usually wont have any issues till 6 years, unless one abuses the machine by using incorrect detergent, keep it outside subjected to direct rain/sunlight, continuing to operate it without leveling and putting unbalanced loads.

I should have clarified..I meant will it be covered under extended warranty. Sorry for the confusion.
Since this is my first machine, and electronics in my area are kind off more prone to breakdown due to moisture, corrosion so that is the reason I need to opt for E/W. If this one works good, none next time.
I have placed and order and will get one tomorrow. Do the delivery guy sets up the machine or the LG guys?
@adder or anyone you mentioned unbalanced load? Could you elaborate what is it and how to avoid it?

I should have clarified..I meant will it be covered under extended warranty. Sorry for the confusion.
Since this is my first machine, and electronics in my area are kind off more prone to breakdown due to moisture, corrosion so that is the reason I need to opt for E/W. If this one works good, none next time.
I have placed and order and will get one tomorrow. Do the delivery guy sets up the machine or the LG guys?
@adder or anyone you mentioned unbalanced load? Could you elaborate what is it and how to avoid it?
Delivery guys just deliver while LG person will visit for a demo.

Back