Storage Solutions Need some idea about NAS

Naga said:
How about using remote desktop or some such software to control the independent headless dl rig once it has been setup using monitor/ kb/ mouse? That's what I was doing before getting a NAS but I don't remember the remote desktop software. Will post if I recall.

Edit:^^^ Nice stuff there@hanzy! Would be great for a dl rig!

1) for remote access the main rig needs to be up....so if the main rig is up u can mstsc or use 3rd party app and get the console of the download rig.

2) if main rig is off....use kvm ;)

lol , im really sleepy....i just scribbled that in 5 mins and wasnt even sure i was doing it right........just like u are waiting for the upgrade of the tv , i have somethings planned , just on papers yet.....:) something similar to wat i plotted.

Thx guys, very good when all ones points get taken out :)

Also, if something can be done in a easy and straight forward way, why should techies avoid it (as per your comments like "good only for non-techies) ?

Fear of the unknown.

HDs dying and finding it has some proprietary RAID but with RAID 1, thats taken care of. Also if the drives can be swapped out for bigger drives in time, then you can handle growth.

Powerwise you are better off too.

If you want just a file + print server, think NAS might not be so bad after all.

So how does the RAID 1 get done, software ?

How reliable is ths ?

If things go egg-shaped can you pull ur drives out, stick them in a normal PC and fsck them back to sanity ?

Naga said:
Btw, if you follow any popular NAS forum, u'll see there are tons of customizations, mods etc (techie behaviour) going on.

Which sites would you recommend ?

Is there a 'cdfreaks' for NAS :)

If you’re like me, you have multiple computers at home, multiple laptops in the family, and at least one video game console with Video/Music playback capability connected to your TV and sound system.
Synching music and picture databases is a pain, and having central storage that can be accessed by all of these would definitely make things easier, as all the devices would either

* Read directly from that device (if it’s a “Stay at home†computer or data considered “Stay at homeâ€)
* Synchronize only with the central storage (i.e.: Laptop1 to NAS, NAS to Laptop2, never Laptop 1 to Laptop2).

Requirements

1. Storage: At least 500gigs usable storage
2. Redundancy: At least a mirror
3. Power: As low as possible (No full blown PC!)
4. Speed: No hard numbers, but “fast enough to be able to stream HD Xvid rips and bluray ripsâ€, which should be using 6000 to 8000kbps. (Kilobits per second)
5. Protocols:
1. It absolutely has to support CIFS for Windows and Mac OS X Access to shares.
2. Obviously, FTP access, to enable any device to transfer to it and from it, especially over the VPN when you forgot to sync something and CIFS is too unstable at low bandwidth.
3. DLNA ( Digital Living Network Alliance ) support would be great, simply because I intend to use my ps3 to play movies on the TV. My XBMC powered Xbox can mount SMB/CIFS shares but the ps3 can’t. Also, the Xbox supports many more codecs, hopefully, DLNA with transcoding will help the ps3 (though I am not expecting to end up with a machine able to transcode, since it won’t be powerful enough. Oh well, I’ll make sure to download supported media).
4. Some kind of “Sync†protocol needs to be supported, such as rsync, Unison, etc.
6. Noise: Not too noisy please !
7. Encryption: Ability to encrypt the drives would be great, as this device will also store unencrypted backups of laptops. I use full drive encryption on my hard drives, and I want to be able to easily back them up and restore single files. But at the same time, I don’t want someone stealing my NAS and having my complete computers available.
8. Fun option: Torrent client. If I’m going to leave it on all the time, it might as well handle the torrents by itself too.

Option #1: DNS-323

After researching SOHO hardware, the only one that was cheap enough and looked “hackable†enough, with a decent reputation to go, was the
2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure - DNS-323 by D-Link . It costs 150 to 200$ depending on your retailer, without drives.

Let’s see how it scores against my requirements..

1. Storage: It has two available SATA slots, and according to this page , it has been tested with drives up to 1TB .
2. Redundancy: It supports RAID 1 .
3. Power: According to TechDigs.net , the device uses 24 to 26 watts when in use, and 14 to 16 watts when drives are parked. Other anecdotal data suggests that it uses around to 25 watts when in use, too. We will average this to 20 watts.
4. Speed: The same TechDigs review has tested the DNS-323 with speeds of 14.5 to 16 MB/s.
5. Protocols
1. It does support SMB/CIFS.
2. It does support FTP.
3. It does not seem to support DLNA out of the box. However, a software called TwonkyMedia could be purchased and added to it.
4. It could be synched relatively easily with rsync on client computers by mounting it as a smb or nfs share. NFS not included, but can be added.
6. Noise: According to the same article, the machine generates approximately 40decibles at 2 feet, and 50decibels at 2 feet under maximum usage. Maximum usage is less of a concern as it won’t be in the room where I watch movies, but the minimum noise is important as I will often work near the machine. Sounds like it’s pretty quiet. We will average this to 45decibels.
7. Encryption: The DNS-323 doesn’t seem to support full drive encryption. I could probably manage to recompile the Linux kernel for it, or I could use something such as duplicity to encrypt the actual backups. Meh.
8. Fun option: Torrent client. Multiple torrent clients seem available for the DNS-323, plus command line ones could probably easily be compiled and used along with ssh and screen.

Option #2: FreeNas on a MSI Wind Desktop

After finding that FreeNas looked like a really promising distribution, the MSI Wind PC was the machine I decided was the best hardware fit for my project.

It is available on NewEgg for approximately 170$, so there is not much price difference with the DNS-323. This could be a bit more expensive since a bit of RAM will need to be added to it. (It looks like it comes with no RAM).

Let’s see how it scores against my requirements..

1. Storage: It has two available SATA slots. I did not find much about the biggest type of drive supported but it shouldn’t have any type of hard limit (especially not under 1TB!)
2. Redundancy: The board has no RAID support, however, FreeNas supports multiple types of raid, including 1 and 5.
3. Power: The unit comes with a 65watt power supply, and anecdotal evidence seems to point at a 20watt “idle†power usage, and 30 to 35 watt peak usage. I do not know if this includes two hard drives, so let’s go with 35 to be safe. 35 and 20 average to 27.5 (even though it will be idle more often,I use this very simple average for the chart below. It’s not scientific at all.)
4. Speed: I have no idea. Quite simply, I haven’t seen benchmarks of people running FreeNas on that machine, as it is pretty new. It does have a Gigabit Ethernet port, so the bottleneck will definitely not be the network adapter, and I do own a MSI Wind netbook which performs rather well overall.
5. Protocols: According to the FreeNas manual ..
1. It does support SMB/CIFS.
2. It does support FTP.
3. DLNA support is not fully documented yet, but is available. It uses uShare
4. It includes Rsync, Unison, NFS, AFP… synching to it as an rsync server or a mapped share should be easy.
6. Noise: Anecdotal data suggests a 30decibel volume rating, so with two drives, it should be similar to the DNS-323. We will average this to 40decibels.
7. Encryption: The manual explains encryption support for plain and RAID volumes. It supports multiple algorithms, including AES.
8. Fun option: Torrent client. There is a built-in t
orrent client, and since it runs on FreeBSD, installing any command line client should be straightforward.

Source : Home NAS Project: Part 1 | binaryfactory.ca

Very good article, i just might go this way to setup my nas. Only hurdle is i want to know if 2 X 3.5 inch drives can be had in the wind desktop or not.

well just to add in the discussion, take a look at this.

DealExtreme: $43.25 Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + UPNP USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer Sharing Network LAN Server

Multiple feature all-in-one LAN server:

1. 2-port USB devices sharing (printers, hard disk drives, USB jump/flash storage devices, card readers, and other similar storage devices)

2. FTP file server

3. SAMBA file server with file permissions and security control (creates mountable network drives in Windows/Mac/*nix client operating systems)

4. Standalone Bittorrent BT downloading client -- does not require PC to download files via the BT peer-to-peer network. Downloads to attached storage devices (flash drive, external hard disks, card readers, etc)

5. Printer sharing server -- share up to 2 printers at the same time

- Easily create a solid state drive SSDD always-on Bittorrent downloading client

- Multi-use account and permission based acces control

- 1-button system recovery feature

- Automatic USB device state and type detection

- Fully automated installation

- USB 2.0 high speed device host interface

- 10/100Mbps ethernet LAN network RJ45 port

- Supports software/firmware system upgrade

- Supports Windows (including Vista) and Mac OS systems

- 100V~240V AC adapter included

- 1.8 meters network cable included

- USB client software and instructional CD included

Price: $43.25 + FREE Shipping to India.

Approx :- 2250/- Rs

What more do you need ????

Naga - Sorry for the O/T but can I borrow some of your "Wi-Fi" friends :bleh: all of my friends drop in with a USB drive... and they need to play each and every file to make sure it works.

I'm like :| buzz off you #@!$@#$

cooling_dexter said:

DealExtreme: $43.25 Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + UPNP USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer Sharing Network LAN Server

Multiple feature all-in-one LAN server..........................

wow someone emailed to the company and some more additional features are listed:
Thanks for your enquiry on our network/print server(model-652), any questions and special requiements pls let me know, I like to do my best for you and anticipate to establish business ralationship with your company!
Answer:
- NTFS Support ?: yes it can support it! (confirmed both read / write support in another mail)
- File Access: WebInterface, mounted samba share : all can support
- USB camera server ? : sorry, it can not support camera, but model-651 can support!
- USB-Hub Support ? : ok, no problem!
- Bittorrent usage (performance, file manipulation, usage with public/private servers, speed, configuration) : I like to send you sample to test, ok?
model-652 can support to: BT download/Printer server/FTP Server/SAMBA Server
model:651 can support: printer/camera/Scanner and so on, it can support 4 use device one time.

good for an always on downloader :eek:hyeah:

well 6 pack options loooks gr8 as i already have 120gb portable...and after downloading a file when i m not around i will transfer it bak to my system

is it good option...is it available in india??

if not getting it here will cost ard 2.5k without warranty than....so again NAS option would be better or this as...a 500giga mentioned by czar looks to do more function than this with 3k more

cooling_dexter said:

Multiple feature all-in-one LAN server:

1. 2-port USB devices sharing (printers, hard disk drives, USB jump/flash storage devices, card readers, and other similar storage devices)
2. FTP file server
3. SAMBA file server with file permissions and security control (creates mountable network drives in Windows/Mac/*nix client operating systems)
4. Standalone Bittorrent BT downloading client -- does not require PC to download files via the BT peer-to-peer network. Downloads to attached storage devices (flash drive, external hard disks, card readers, etc)
5. Printer sharing server -- share up to 2 printers at the same time

- Easily create a solid state drive SSDD always-on Bittorrent downloading client
- Multi-use account and permission based acces control
- 1-button system recovery feature
- Automatic USB device state and type detection
- Fully automated installation
- USB 2.0 high speed device host interface
- 10/100Mbps ethernet LAN network RJ45 port
- Supports software/firmware system upgrade
- Supports Windows (including Vista) and Mac OS systems
- 100V~240V AC adapter included
- 1.8 meters network cable included
- USB client software and instructional CD included

Price: $43.25 + FREE Shipping to India.

Approx :- 2250/- Rs

What more do you need ????

Any one using this ? Any other similar locally available solutions ?

Just need to get my External Disk shared via LAN .

well, i have ordered one of these, hoping to get get it by end of next week. i would be coupling it with a Transend 160GB 2.5" drive. Will let everybody know if it works as advertised.........

magnet said:
is this NAS too??

Asus Eee Box B208

Its a nettop... Not a NAS solution... But if you are looking for something on similar lines then I received an e-mail from PRIME for something similar....

Small Form Factor Machine at economical rate Rs. 9999/-**

* Atom processor with motherboard

* 1gb Gskill ram

* 160gb segeat HDD

* Samsung DVD writer

* Prime Cabinet

Pls Comment for the below :

Good MB with RAID 0 Support Rs. 2.5k with Giga Lan
Cel/Dual Core CPU with 512mb ram Rs. 2k

Used old CAB + Circle SMPS Rs. 900

WD 500GB x 2 Rs. 6k

With 32/64bit OS of 10gb balance as NAS