Storage Solutions Need some idea about NAS

@magnet, I hope you are accessing it through the config page. It is not going to get 'automatically' detected like a USB device would

config page u mean to say?????

http://nas stuff right??

mohit.....i m unable to access the device via pc???if i m unable to access same it does mean that even the wd disc too is not accessible....

hope i m more clear this time.....

btw the guide suggest ull get icon on pc so it looked like a it gets detected on pc as usb

Yes "http://NAS" is the 652's Web UI/config page.

Put it in IE/Firefox to access the device

To access your entire WD drive/or parts of it via windows explorer, do the following steps

1.Set up a network stare on the 652

2.Map the network share to a drive(like M: or V: )

problem solved :)

try this

Start>Run

type "\\NAS" or "\\a.b.c.d" (a.b.c.d = IP of your NAS device)

Hit enter

Once it is up & running , you can map it as a netowrk drive for permanent access

tried still not detecting......btw how to get NAS ip address.......have enable all file sharing remote sharing still not connecting

Open your router's WebUI/config page, over there look for DHCP section and see what IP is allotted to the 652.

MAGNeT said:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/669/57419530.jpg

thats the only stuff i can see.....

that address which is shown below takes me to network neighbourhood of my pc.....as i have enable file sharing

From what I can see, the 652 has not been allotted an ip.

Either your DHCP is not functioning or the wire is bad or there is some issue with the 652.

What wire are you currently using b/w router and 652? Cross or strait? Does you router have auto-sensing, meaning can it use both types of cable.

First try with a different wire or try with a different router.

Also try changing your DHCP IP Address Pool to "192.168.0.2", because maybe the 652 is stuck on 192.168.0.x subnet

If nothing works then there is a sure shot way of knowing whether the 652 is working or not, do the following

-Get a cross network cable

-connect PC and 652

-In your PCs' network adapter properties settings under TCP/IP version 4, put IP ADDRESS - 192.168.0.1, SUBNET - 255.255.255.0, GATEWAY - same as IP

-Access 652 on 192.168.0.240

-If still you're unable to access it, we could do a netstat to see if a connection is established or not

By looking at the last screen shot, I agree to what Mohit said the router is just allowing the IP ranging between 192.168.11.2 - 192.168.11.63 and the default IP for NAS is "http://192.168.0.240", so change it as Mohit said. The other peculiar thing that i noticed in the first screenshot is that you have connected the WD HDD with just one USB to the NAS. As I mentioned in previous post, the NAS might not be able to give enough juice to HDD so that it can detect properly. Connect the 2nd Y ended USB cable to other USB port of the NAS. Now, along with above the suggestions. I would like you to try the below mentioned as well.

1. Change the Lan cable used between the NAS and the router as even i find the quality to be inferior and changed it. (Was also suggested to me by a tech from NAS 652 techsupport)

2. Try accessing the NAS device without the HDD as the WEBGUI of NAS would be still accessible without the HDD.

3. You can even connect a Pen drive and check.

ya it was the ip address issue...i 4got to write here...yesterday i directly connected 652 with the comp...no internet just the device and pc....and bingo on typing NAS it got detected .......

Changed the ip address to 192.168.11.240...and now when i connect it to router it does get detected......

Btw its necessary to format HDD to fat32??

when i was trying to add download file it gives message downloading please refresh later...

Btw wht should i type in network gateway address?? default gateway?

Thanks for all the help guys

MAGNeT said:
Btw its necessary to format HDD to fat32??

when i was trying to add download file it gives message downloading please refresh later...

Btw wht should i type in network gateway address?? default gateway?

Thanks for all the help guys

No, it is not necessary to format HDD in fat32. As per the manual NTFS is supported.

Where to do you have to enter the gateway address.. In the router?

In the router let it be at 192.168.11.1.

That is happening because on NAS652 you have selected a static IP, whereas on the router you have DHCP enabled.

On the NAS652 select "Automatic IP via DHCP" and all will be fine.
On your router DHCP page, at the bottom it will show your NAS652's correct IP.

Hope this will finally solve your problem :)

ya got it working this time..resetted the settings......and than reconnected it with default nas address...allowed the router to do default works...and now the page opens in router range with ip address 192.168.11.3

now just need to check the downloading part plus mapping stuff..will post furthur as i progress.....

thanks m0h1t for all the inputs....and cooling dexter for all the help

file downloading has started......now i need to get check via 3rd party stuff(e51 wifi)....how it works without a computer

cooling_dexter said:
Good to know that it is working for you. Also did you put in the port forwarding settings ?? else you would have downloading speed issues...

ya i was abt to ask that....how to do port forwarding and all

ALso how to see the drive on computer unable to get through the content of hdd when connected to 652.....i mean how to map it?

For port forwarding log on to Port Forwarding for the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

1. In the above mentioned link skip the part about Utorrent. Choose a random port like "16543" and IP address of the NAS, in ur case "192.168.11.3".

2. Once this is done insert the same port# in the NAS -->Downloader-->Bittorrent--> BT Global settings.

You are good to go.

To access the share in your computer.

1. NAS-->Share Manage-->Create Share-->Description (Put any name e.g Share).

2. Choose access control as Read/Write then hit save.

3.Now open My computer in ur PC. In the menu bar click "Tools-->Map Network Drive".

4. Choose a drive letter and then put the folder name as "\\192.168.11.3\share" and then click Finish.

Thats it you now have a new network drive listed in "My computer" with the drive letter.

Have fun ! ! !

thanks dexter actually yesterday only i did port forwarding without knowing its the same stuff....

And ya..managed to even map the disc...finally got it working....

Now only need to get a wifi device to check it usage without a pc......unluckily my e51 is dead and have given it for checking hence have to wait......

ALso the only downside i see is i cant prioritized torrent.....in sense some file of some torrents i want to disable........as i dont need it......but all contents getting downloaded.....plus cant used the old trick of maintaining low ratio by doing minor changes in the path of tracker once download starts....

nyways this also isnt that bad

cant rep u again but thanks for all the support guys

Sorry for bumping old thread..

i have few queries regarding this device:

1. How many torrents can i download simultaneously?

2. Is the device reliable? I mean will it stop/hang suddenly during a download?

3. Can this be Connected to a 320GB HDD? If yes, can that Hard disk have partitions?

And what are the other issues you guys are facing with this device..?

Back