Need suggestion for Intel i5 based rig for Photo Editing (Photoshop/Photomatix etc)

Re: Need suggestion for Intel i5 based rig for Photo Editing (Photoshop/Photomatix et

viralbug said:
^ First link for Corsair review is broken.

Second link is for the older version of the Seasonic I think. The newer version is 80 plus bronze certified. :D

Thanks for letting me know that the first link is broken...

and yeah i think the 2nd review link that i have given him is of old S12II 430GB model... The new model is S12II 430B... And i cant find the review of this particular model... But OP can be rest assured that new model is better than even its predessor... Which got great feedback from the reviewers... :)

@OP

New Link : Corsair CX430 V2 430W Review

Re: Need suggestion for Intel i5 based rig for Photo Editing (Photoshop/Photomatix et

^ Yup exactly.

@OP - Prime ABGB is the best computer shop in Mumbai. :D They are well known for their after sales support and many of us can vouch for that. :)

You can try assembling it yourself, it is very easy. Every part specifically fits in a particular socket, so you will never have a problem of putting it in the wrong place. :p Read the motherboard manual to see where to plug in what component. The only tricky part would be placing the heatsink on the CPU. The push-pin design really sucks. :|

You can look at online tutorials which will help you. If you still don't feel confident enough, just ask the shop from where you buy the components to assemble it for you.

If you have no prior experience with assembling, I'd suggest you seek some guidance from friend or the retailer itself. Especially with the socket part. If those pins get bent during the process, straightening them is almost impossible and you cannot do anything but get the board's socket replaced!

Prime can assemble the PC for you for a nominal price (Rs 500 methinks). In fact, they even ensure that the cables are routed nicely.

Btw, regarding a fast drive for OS. The Velociraptors are not worth getting. It's either a fast 7200 rpm drive like the WD Black or go for an SSD. The Velociraptors aren't that big a step up from current generation 7200 rpm drives. The SSDs are whole different ball game, the difference is huge. But cost/GB is very high, so you'll have to make the call.

For HDD, i'd recommend you get a small SSD (~40GB) for windows and program files, and 7200rpm HDD for storing stuff.

SSD's really make a lot of difference, esp as you are gonna do rendering work!

Also, you can go for Nvidia Quadro professional series GFX if the budget permits.. They speed-up the rendering very well..

^^ Sire, Windows 7 itself takes ~39GB of space after patching to Service Pack 1 + various other patches and hot-fixes, if OP wants to buy an SSD minimum capacity I recommend is the 120GB one, with ample room for further applications [which he'll use on a regular basis]. So currently OP can forget about adding an SSD in his kitty.

I think I'll let go off getting a faster drive as of now as the prices are just to forbidding. Will go for a normal 1TB drive and partition it and may be will get another 1TB later.

About the assembly I'll try it myself and I think I can do it. I can do small DIY stuffs like assembling car audio system or repairing small stuffs related to car but never tried assembling a PC before. Let me try doing it and if I'm not successful then I can anyway go to some nearby computer store to get it done. I just wanna give it a try for the joy of doing stuffs myself. I think I can handle the OS installation part also myself and that should be a easy job.

BTW, few more things I want to know is that if I want to go for a P67 board (for supporting the GSKill Sniper RAMs) then what is my best option considering budget constraints. I probably will be going with the H67 intel board itself but I jut want to know and probably keep my options open.

Will go for the Seasonic PSU and hoping to find a good deal again somewhere :)

As akj suggested, do I really need a Graphics card? Or the onboard Intel HD graphics should be good enough? I'm bit confused here.

And BTW, thanks a lot to all for pitching in your ideas/advices, that means a lot to me and would/is immensely help/helping me in getting me a good PC. You guys rock!!

KonfuSed said:
BTW, few more things I want to know is that if I want to go for a P67 board (for supporting the GSKill Sniper RAMs) then what is my best option considering budget constraints. I probably will be going with the H67 intel board itself but I jut want to know and probably keep my options open.

Will go for the Seasonic PSU and hoping to find a good deal again somewhere :)

As akj suggested, do I really need a Graphics card? Or the onboard Intel HD graphics should be good enough? I'm bit confused here.

And BTW, thanks a lot to all for pitching in your ideas/advices, that means a lot to me and would/is immensely help/helping me in getting me a good PC. You guys rock!!

First of I would like to thank you, for the nice bit of encouragement, you've sent our way, means a lot Sire.

You don't need a P67 for your G.Skill SNIPER RAM modules to function, so get that doubt out of your mind. The Intel DH67-BL TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Intel DH67BL LGA 1155 Micro ATX Motherboard, is the board for your needs. Cheapest P67 motherboard I'll recommend you is -- ASUS P8P67-B3 Revision TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard that will retail around ~10500/-.

You will not need a graphics card per se, but with the card I've suggested you, your usage and work flow will be greatly assisted by the nVidia plug-ins for Photoshop and other productivity based applications so its you call.

ALPHA17 said:
^^

If you want to add a professional series graphic card, get the Quaddro FX-310 ~ 8000/-, but this is not a must have.

Hope this helps Sire, Cheers!! & happy RIG hunting.

ALPHA17 said:
First of I would like to thank you, for the nice bit of encouragement, you've sent our way, means a lot Sire.
Thanks and I really appreciate the help I'm getting here. And also, please don't call me Sire, I'm not that old :p

You don't need a P67 for your G.Skill SNIPER RAM modules to function, so get that doubt out of your mind. The Intel DH67-BL TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Intel DH67BL LGA 1155 Micro ATX Motherboard, is the board for your needs. Cheapest P67 motherboard I'll recommend you is -- ASUS P8P67-B3 Revision TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard that will retail around ~10500/-.
Just saw this motherboard at abgb, Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 Motherboard for 8900Rs. How is this mobo compared to others?

You will not need a graphics card per se, but with the card I've suggested you, your usage and work flow will be greatly assisted by the nVidia plug-ins for Photoshop and other productivity based applications so its you call.
Will make use the onboard GPU as of now and once I can allocate more funds then I would go for a good GPU.

BTW, I got the GSkill Snipers yesterday from Primeabgb, pretty fast shipping via Fedex, I'm impressed.

totally worth it... go for it... plus buy i5 2500k along with it if you really want a Z68 motherboard.

Thanks Hades. There seems to be one more similar board from Asus which is called V-Pro. No idea about the price though.

BTW, noob question, do I need a micro ATX or ATX board? What are the differences between these two different types( apart from size) of boards and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

the full ATX boards are better for those people who installs a lot of PCI components for eg. Multi GPUs , sound card, lan card, PCI SSD etc etc these people require full ATX boards because the components they install require good spacing so that the components dont interfere with each other... See full ATX boards are good for every average joe but the question is do you require those extra ports and are you gonna use them in the future? See both Full ATX and micro ATX boards have advantages and disadvantages... Micro ATX boards are small in size so they are good for creating HTPCs and for people who want to build a powerful pc but of compact size... Plus micro ATX boards cost less as they come with slightly lesser ports and features than their Full ATX counter parts... See Full ATX motherboards are large that doesn't mean that there would be good space between the ports on every Full ATX motherboard actually it depends on the manufacturer that how well the motherboard manufacturer designed the motherboard... See if you dont need those extra ports then go ahead with a micro ATX board else buy a full Atx board...

My plan is to add a good quality Sound Card (for audio which is probably I'll go for) and might be a Graphics card later(I might not even go for GRaphics card if I found the onboard GPU is good enough for my job, for watching movies I anyway will be using my Home Theater setup only). Other than that I don't see any more card that I would be adding. So I guess I can still go ahead with a micro ATX board itself, am I right? So it seems that the Asus P8Z68 M-Pro is a pretty good deal, I hope that Prime will soon provide a even better deal with their daily deals on this board :D

yes you can go ahead with a micro ATX board as far as you dont need those extra ports... and a micro ATX would be enough if you are just gonna add a sound card and a GPU...

Hi guys, this is the month that I'm planning to buy my PC. But with the increased prices due to the Thailand flood and dollar appreciation I'm thinking again if it's a good time to go for a PC. Please let me know if anyone has any idea that how much extra would I be paying for parts as of now. If the difference is only 1.5-2k for the whole PC then I won't mind at all but if there is 50% kind of hike like that happened with hard drives then I'll have to postpone my purchase. Please help and let me know. I'm checking the prices and it seems mostly the price of HDD's have gone up and so is the processors and Mobos. :(

hmm nice,I am quite new.But this setup will rock r editing,if u want it.

Processor:-i5 2500K(12K INR)-------->Reason:-HD3000 and (Read the Review)
Motherboard:-Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 Motherboard(10700 INR)---->SSD Caching if u plan to use SSD and Utilizes Integrated graphics
PSU:-Corsair CX V2 430W(2200 INR)------>Hybrid for its price
UPS:-APC BR-1KVA IN(4600 INR)----Ur choice
Case:-Get a local one,save money buddy :p

Total:-25K+case(2K max) excluding UPS(U really need one??)

Regarding HDD or SSD(wait till prices comes down)

^^ Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 12000/- [the HD 2000 IGP is more than sufficient for HD movie viewing, no need to spend extra on HD 3000]

Intel DH-67BL ~ 5800/- [you get all that you need [USB 3.0 + SATA III], why spend extra seriously just to get a Z68 chipset]

Corsair XMS3 4GB 1600MHz module OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB ~ 1650/-

Cooler Master GX 450W ~ 3300/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

APC BR-1KVA IN ~ 4600/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 4500/- [if you can afford one now]

Hope this helps.

Guys, I've already got the RAM (Gskil Sniper 2x4GB) quite some time back. My worry now is the price of the hard drives which have astronomically gone up. :(

Following is the setup that I've decided,

Intel Core i5 2500k (price increased from 10800 to 12000)

Asus P8Z68 M-Pro (Price increased from 9450 to 10400)

GSkill Sniper 2x4GB - Already bought

NZXT Gamma - Price not changed, 2200Rs.

Seasonic s12II 430W - Price not changed, 2650Rs.

APC BR-1KVA - Price not changed? UPS is important for me as I don't want to loose my work in between because of a power failure.

Samsung/LG DVD write - 1k??

Somehow I've to manage the Seagate 1TB but I'm not at all feeling like paying 4.5k for a drive which was available for only 2.8k. Still thinking what to do about it.

Q: Are you looking to overclock? -- No

You are seriously confused -- KonfuSed --, you say you don't want to over-clock and you are getting a k processor, don't think that the HD 3000 graphics is going to helps you in photo-editing OR going to decode HD content faster [it will, but not substantially great performance boost], better than this, get this RIG --

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 11000/-

Intel DH-67BL ~ 5800/-

nVidia GT 430 OR nVidia Quaddro FX-600 ~ 4500/- OR 7000/- [good for HD content, play games while Quick-Sync decodes your videos and nVidia plug-ins are tons galore for Adobe / Autodesk and other productivity applications]

Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 2700/-

APC BR-1KVA-IN ~ 4600/-

LG / Samsung OEM DVD drive(s) ~ 1100/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~ [buy second hand OR if you can afford it first hand].

Hope this helps.

Back