Need suggestions for purchasing a new AirCon.

My dad's company makes the R32 gas which go in a lot of AirCons, we recently got great deals on them. Eventhough I think Daikin are on the more expensive side of things, they do offer great performance. I've previously also used O General ACs man they are great too.

Isn't Mumbai's weather already humid for humidifier?
Unless your skin feels itchy due to dryness or dry cough due to soreness in throat, don't think there is any need.
If you have a medical condition then it's a different story.
Or did you mean to say dehumidifier??

Sorry. I meant to say dehumidifier.

How much is the humidity in your house/room? Preferably it should be between 30-50%. If you are using your AC, then humidity would hover around 40-60% depending on what temperature you operate.
Any specific reason why the thought of dehumidifier came to mind?

How much is the humidity in your house/room? Preferably it should be between 30-50%. If you are using your AC, then humidity would hover around 40-60% depending on what temperature you operate.
Any specific reason why the thought of dehumidifier came to mind?
I don't know how can I measure humidity inside my room. Accuweather says indoor humidity is 62% for the city. I don't know how accurate is this. I operate my AC at 26C.

I am not sure if I need it. I am just wondering if it will help. If I turn off the AC then the room feels humid.

I am not sure an app can give you that much of an accurate reading. I use this to monitor temperature and humidity,
It is accurate to my knowledge.
Well AC is the best machine to dehumidify your room, it can't be practically be run 24*7 most of the times.
If you are in a situation where you can't run the ac(monsoons are coming) but humidity goes through the roof(90%+ last week when we had the cyclone) and you are extremely uncomfortable with those levels of humidity, or you have expensive electronic items going bad(camera lenses, TV's or others which has PCB') then the use of dehumidifier comes into picture.
Since you run at 26C and have 62% humidity(assuming it's correct), I would suggest turn down the blower to lower speeds. This way you will ensure the air circulating has more time to pass through those cooling coils which will suck out more moisture with time.
FYI, I run my ac at 27C with lowest fan soeed, humidity at 80%, by 5 am, room temps drop to 26C with 50% humidity.

A little update about reliability, the Hitachi 2 ton window that I bought this year in January stopped cooling a few days after my last post here. They said that the compressor has stopped working and needs to be replaced, there were no issues with rusting etc. It's been over a week but no replacement yet. Honestly the companies need to start producing ACs that can run 24/7.

Look at VRV systems from Daikin for 24x7 operation. Modern albeit high-end homes in NCR are equipped with it these days. Needs ducting though so may need be very useful as an afterthought. Personally running 3 Daikin JTKJ units and even in 24x7 operation they do brilliantly well especially for maintaining the said temperature.

My house does not have any ducting. It's either window or split. I have a split Daikin, it's okay, in general split are rubbish and cannot function 24x7 at all. I've used many different ACs (window and split) and windows still are able to run 24x7 for some amount of time. The splits just give up. Have you tried running splits 24x7, 365 days a year for at least 3 years, at temperatures below 22C? For me they could not do what I asked.

Don't know about VRV but I do know there are commercial whole building ACs that are designed to run like that, I think you'd find these in 5 star hotels etc. Not that it's practical for homes unless your building a big villa or perhaps preinstalled in some apartment complexes. Are VRV similar? I don't know the technical name for the system I described. I was simply hoping that they would manufacture a window AC for this kind of use.

Don't know about VRV but I do know there are commercial whole building ACs that are designed to run like that, I think you'd find these in 5 star hotels etc. Not that it's practical for homes unless your building a big villa or perhaps preinstalled in some apartment complexes. Are VRV similar? I don't know the technical name for the system I described. I was simply hoping that they would manufacture a window AC for this kind of use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilled_water

Colloquially called central air conditioning.

I think vrf systems are still doable, chilled-water cooling is incredibly hard or even next-to-impossible to retrofit to an existing building.

At a basic level, central chilled water systems pump ice cold water to multiple floors of a building where blowers blow air over the chilled pipes and that's how the cooling works. The refrigerant remains in the room (could be the basement level) where the water is chilled, doesn't need to travel long distances.

A VRF is the same as a split in which it actually pumps the cooled refrigerant gas to the room where cooling is required and air blowing over the evaporator coil is cooled. VRFs are sometimes called multi-splits but that's simplifying it too much i guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_refrigerant_flow

A quick google led to these, i think they explain it pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little update about reliability, the Hitachi 2 ton window that I bought this year in January stopped cooling a few days after my last post here. They said that the compressor has stopped working and needs to be replaced, there were no issues with rusting etc. It's been over a week but no replacement yet. Honestly the companies need to start producing ACs that can run 24/7.
Earlier, ATM booths used to always have 2 ACs installed instead of one. Reason being that if made to run 24x7, the ACs would fail. So they used to run in 12hr shifts instead.

I just was myself searching for a new 1.5 ton split ac, and found this page https://buy.guru/best-split-ac-1-5-ton-price/
Everything else aside, one thing that caught my eye is that despite all being 1.5 ton AC all had different BTU (cooling capacity) and that one whirlpool 1.5 ton magicool Pro 5 star ac had 22500 btu (2nd number in list) which is in some cases 5000 btu (more cooling power??) more than some other brands with same tonnage. I have indeed purchased this unit but thanks to lockdown postponed the installation of the same.

Will surely share my views once I start using it, but that aside, is it marketing gimmick to inflate BTU somehow or is it possible it is more effective?
Have been using it for 2 weeks now. It is really powerful. The earlier installed ogeneral AC 1.5 ton AC struggled always. This seems perfect.

I just was myself searching for a new 1.5 ton split ac, and found this page https://buy.guru/best-split-ac-1-5-ton-price/
Everything else aside, one thing that caught my eye is that despite all being 1.5 ton AC all had different BTU...

Have been using it for 2 weeks now. It is really powerful. The earlier installed ogeneral AC 1.5 ton AC struggled always. This seems perfect.
Usage feedback, the AC has started giving some troubles. It is making lots of water, that's understandable but a lot of it is dripping from louvers. Have lodged a complaint lets see how it goes

Back