Budget 41-50k Need to buy this weekend .Gaming rig ~42k. Please help.

Sorry i meant ... 7750 radeon , 7770 is 200 more on golcha website , i can go for that if thats better
On their websites these are the prices
550 ti : 7400
ASUS GRAPHICS CARD HS7750 1GB DDR5 V2 : 7899
GIGABYTE HD 7770 GRAPHICS CARD : 8099
ASUS GRAPHICS CARD HD7770DC 1GB DDR5 V2 : 9700

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry i meant 7750.
7770 is rs 8100 , just 200 more than than 7750. Is it better than 7750 then i ll go for it.
i have gone from 5670 to 6670 to 6770 to 7770 now! i know costlier will always be better but there has to be a price/performance bench mark where one of these stand out :).

- - - Updated - - -

I mailed golcha my config and here is their quote.

PLZ FIND FOLLOWING REPLY

1xCPU Intel Core i3 2120 Boxed 3.3 Ghz. Socket 1155 RS 6500

1xMB Gigabyte B75M-D3H RS 5000

1xMonitor Dell ST2220M 22 inch with DVI n HD LED Wide RS 8000

1xMemory DDR III G.Skill 2gb X 2 4GB Kit F3-12A00CL9D-4gbXL 1600 mhz. Rip Jaws RS 1500

1xHDD WD SATA 1TB 64 MB Cache (blue edition) RS 4500

1xDVD Writer Samsung ( low cost) RS 900

1x NZXT Gamma ( if not available then a cooler master elite for ~ 2500rs) RS 2400

1xSMPS Corsair 430W CX RS 2200

1xCard PCI Express ATI Radeon HD7750 1gb DDR5 RS 6500

1xSpeaker 2.1 Creative RS 1200

1xUPS APC 600VA BR600CI-IN RS 2000

Total ~ 40700 + 5.5 VAT ... The motherboard is costing me 5k ... is it worth that much or is there another alternative costing slightly less with almost all features as this?

I mailed golcha my config and here is their quote.
1xMonitor Dell ST2220M 22 inch with DVI n HD LED Wide RS 8000
1xCard PCI Express ATI Radeon HD7750 1gb DDR5 RS 6500[/B]

Total ~ 40700 + 5.5 VAT ... The motherboard is costing me 5k ... is it worth that much or is there another alternative costing slightly less with almost all features as this?

Okay, instead of the HD7750 go for the HD6770 1GB GDDR5. The performance is slightly better and you can over-clock it too, something that cannot be replicated on the HD7750. The monitor I told you to go for the DeLL ST2220L over anything else.

For the motherboard, you can buy it from flipkart.com --> Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com; the motherboard is the best you can get in class, nothing touches it.

What happened to HD7770-7.9K?

Where are you seeing that?

These prices are old (my opinion).

The prices which i mentioned were in the golcha website .Seems like it hasnt been updated for quite some time.
For the GPU i am confused now :O .. I thought 7750 ~ 7770 > 6770 > 6670 ?
Not sure how much the 7770 costs in golcha but it will be around 200 more. 6670 should be around 1k lesser i think than 7770 around 5500 something.

Sorry i got the LED code wrong . Corrected it to L now. THe motherboard is available on flipkart at 4300 rs. I think when i ll inform golcha of that he might reduce it else i ll get from flipkart.
Thanks

For the GPU i am confused now :O .. I thought 7750 ~ 7770 > 6770 > 6670 ?
Not sure how much the 7770 costs in golcha but it will be around 200 more. 6670 should be around 1k lesser i think than 7770 around 5500 something.

Sorry i got the LED code wrong . Corrected it to L now. THe motherboard is available on flipkart at 4300 rs. I think when i ll inform golcha of that he might reduce it else i ll get from flipkart.

This is how the naming convention works --

AMD HD7770 GHz --> HD -- this is the brand prefix they are getting these days, in the ATi Radeon days this was X; 7*** -- this is the family of the card, in this case this is from AMD the HD 7*** series; *7** --> the sub-family, dependent on the performance of the GPU-chip used; **70 -- the number on the end generally [**70 OR **50] defines their place in the hierarchy HD **70 > **50. The final GHz suffix is a new addition to the convention as the HD7*** series cards are considered the first GPU's to have their core-clocked @1.0GHz.

By this naming convention an HD7870 > HD7770 GHz > HD7750 [as 78 > 77, defining both cards position in the entire family of HD7*** series cards].

The current costs of the HD7770 GHz edition is ~9000/- -->9900/-

HD7750 depending on the core-clock will cost you between ~7200/- -->7900/-

HD6770 an older card (which performs better than the HD7750) ~6500/- -->7500/-

HD6670 is a HTPC and entry-level card ~6000/- and below.

The GTX 550Ti is an nVidia card that competes against the HD7750 and HD6770 series cards, its priced ~6800/- -->7500/-.

*Prices are indicative and might be wrong in current market scenario.

Hope this answered your question, Cheerio!

To use 1600 MHz RAM with Gigabyte B75M-D3H the op must use a 22 nm processor. Core i5 2400/Core i3 2120 are 32 nm processors which means the RAM speed will be limited to 1333 MHz.

Intel i5 2400-10.5k OR i3 2120-6.5k
Gigabyte B75M-D3H-4.5k
Gskill Ripjaws 2X2GB 1600mhz-1.7k
Segate 500GB 7200RPM-3.5k
Sapphire HD7770-9k OR Sapphire HD7850-16k
Seasonic S12ii 520W-4k OR Corsair GS500-4.3k
Nzxt Gamma-3k
DELL ST2220L-8.5k
Logitech MK200 Combo-0.7k
Samsung OR HP ODD-1k
Considering your budget i've given you best rig within,You will have to compromise high level graphic detail considering HD7770 gives mid performance on Full HD reso gaming.
Hope this helps.:)

To use 1600 MHz RAM with Gigabyte B75M-D3H the op must use a 22 nm processor. Core i5 2400/Core i3 2120 are 32 nm processors which means the RAM speed will be limited to 1333 MHz.

You again, every-time I have to repeat the same topic all over, it does not matter whether the Sandy-Bridge processors were rated to ~1600MHz RAM OR not, in that vein of things Ivy-Bridge processors support RAM frequencies upto ~2400MHz, yet after 1600MHz there is no point as the Integrated Memory Controller is very similar (almost same, just scaled down) and thanks to the mature design does not get affected by high RAM frequencies OR very low latency.

I am going to put up the same arguments again and hoping that this time you go through the article.
AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3 / DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform - X-bit labs / Choosing the Best DDR3 SDRAM for Ivy Bridge - X-bit labs.

Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost.

Memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.

We don't believe there's any value in the more expensive memory kits on the Sandy Bridge platform. Once you have enough bandwidth (DDR3-1600 at a small $9-$10 price premium), there's just not enough of a performance increase beyond that to justify the additional cost, even when it's only $34 between 4GB kits. Once you jump to the 8GB kits, the price difference for CL9 DDR3-1600 is a mere $8, but it becomes much more pronounced at $92 to move to DDR3-2133. We simply can’t justify such a price difference based on our testing.

Our investigation of the correlation between the performance of Ivy Bridge platforms and their memory subsystem parameters suggests a lack of significant differences from Intel’s earlier platforms. The Ivy Bridge memory controller is largely the same as the Sandy Bridge one and delivers similar performance at the same settings. So, the influence of system memory settings on practical tasks is rather low. However, the new CPUs have brought about certain changes, the most important of which is the opportunity to choose a very high clock rate for DDR3 SDRAM.

Such clock rates were not possible even with overclocker-targeted systems of the previous generation. As a result, the range of DDR3 SDRAM offered for LGA1155 systems has been extended, increasing the gap between configurations with slow and fast memory. By changing the memory clock rate alone, you can see a performance boost of 5-10% while applications that need large amounts of data (such as games) may get up to 20-30% faster! So, choosing the right kind of memory for you LGA1155 platform is important.

So, the rational approach to choosing system memory is in looking for the optimal frequency/price ratio. Modules up to DDR3-2133 SDRAM may be recommended for Ivy Bridge platforms, but not faster ones. Up to that frequency, the price remains reasonable while the performance in everyday applications grows up. Faster memory modules are considerably more expensive without providing tangible performance benefits.

:O . Didnt know that! So I should go for 1333 mhz RAM then? will go for 4 X 2 then.
Thanks for the GPU tip

Stick to 1600MHz RAM modules. Read the articles that I have linked if you have doubts.

P.S. -- sorry for sounding so brusque but Detox101 has already posted that I do not know how many times, every time I have suggested 1600MHz RAM modules he comes up with that argument, this is not 2010 anymore where a step-up from ~1333MHz -->1600MHz meant a jump in ~2000/- INR also with Sandy Bridge Intel rectified a lot of problems with the Nehalem memory controller which hungered for fast RAM OR low latency RAM kits for performance boosts.

Check the specifications link for B75M-D3H:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

* To support DDR3 1600 MHz, you must install an Intel 22nm CPU.

As clearly mentioned on the Gigabyte website as it can possibly be. 1600 MHz RAM may work with 32 nm processors on B75M-D3H but its not supported officially by them. So if the ops motherboard breaks down while using a 32 nm processor with 1600 Mhz RAM on B75M-D3H then I think there will be an issue with the warranty exercise. Also, may not be good for the medium term stability of the system.
@ALPHA17: I am not referring to the processor dude.. I am referring to the motherboard's specs..

You again, every-time I have to repeat the same topic all over, it does not matter whether the Sandy-Bridge processors were rated to ~1600MHz RAM OR not, in that vein of things Ivy-Bridge processors support RAM frequencies upto ~2400MHz, yet after 1600MHz there is no point as the Integrated Memory Controller is very similar (almost same, just scaled down) and thanks to the mature design does not get affected by high RAM frequencies OR very low latency.

I am going to put up the same arguments again and hoping that this time you go through the article.
AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3 / DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform - X-bit labs / Choosing the Best DDR3 SDRAM for Ivy Bridge - X-bit labs.

Stick to 1600MHz RAM modules. Read the articles that I have linked if you have doubts.

P.S. -- sorry for sounding so brusque but Detox101 has already posted that I do not know how many times, every time I have suggested 1600MHz RAM modules he comes up with that argument, this is not 2010 anymore where a step-up from ~1333MHz -->1600MHz meant a jump in ~2000/- INR also with Sandy Bridge Intel rectified a lot of problems with the Nehalem memory controller which hungered for fast RAM OR low latency RAM kits for performance boosts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the specifications link for B75M-D3H:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

* To support DDR3 1600 MHz, you must install an Intel 22nm CPU.

As clearly mentioned on the Gigabyte website as it can possibly be. 1600 MHz RAM may work with 32 nm processors on B75M-D3H but its not supported officially by them. So if the ops motherboard breaks down while using a 32 nm processor with 1600 Mhz RAM on B75M-D3H then I think there will be an issue with the warranty exercise. Also, may not be good for the medium term stability of the system.
@ALPHA17: I am not referring to the processor dude.. I am referring to the motherboard's specs..

Detox plenty of people are using 1600MHz RAM kits with Intel DH67-BL motherboards + Core i5 2400. Both components from the Sandy-Bridge era with no official support from Intel for RAM modules with frequencies over 1333MHz, the tests carried out by Anandtech and Xbits Lab were done using P67 / H67 motherboards and the Core i3 2100 processor.

Also GIGABYTE technicians cannot track down the memory usedby the OP in his build IF anything goes wrong. There will be no issues regarding warranty until and unless there are signs of physical / burn / electrical-burn damage on the motherboard.

Nowhere in the warranty agreement does it state, we will withhold the same if you use RAM modules rated over ~1333MHz. Please also note that the motherboard supports RAM frequencies upto ~2400MHz. Nothing will be damages as 1600MHz RAM modules operate nominally at ~1.5v while high speed RAM modules operate at ~1.65v +.

E.g. --> @BIKeINSTEIN's build --> http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/project-cure-bf3-addiction-127229/#post1580995. G620 + Corsair Vengeance LP + nVidia GTX580.

Given your budget, here are my suggestions:
Processor - Intel Core i3 2120 (7k)
Mobo - ASRock H61M-PS2 - 2.8K
RAM - Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 mhz (2x2GB)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4800/-
GPU - Gigabyte HD7770GHz - 9k
Monitor - Dell IN2030M - 6K
UPS - Microtek 800VA Dual battery - 2k
Speaker - Altec lensing BXR1221 - 1K

These tests are about running RAMs at various frequencies and measuring performance with changes in RUNNING frequencies, not RATED frequencies. For B75, RAM rated at 1600 MHz will run at 1333 MHz, making the setup equivalent to the Anand/xbit's setup of 2xxx MHz RAM running at 1333MHz, which gives MINIMUM performance in their tests.

Nowhere in these is it mentioned that running RAM rated at 1600 running at 1333 MHz performs any better than RAM rated at 1333 MHz running at 1333 MHz. Anand briefly alludes to this when saying why he used the 2xxx MHz RAM for all his tests, and just to verify if it is justified, also ran some RAM rated at 1600 MHz but found no difference from that rated at 2xxx running at 1600. Chit doesn't even talk about this topic.

These tests are about running RAMs at various frequencies and measuring performance with changes in RUNNING frequencies, not RATED frequencies. For B75, RAM rated at 1600 MHz will run at 1333 MHz, making the setup equivalent to the Anand/xbit's setup of 2xxx MHz RAM running at 1333MHz, which gives MINIMUM performance in their tests.

Nowhere in these is it mentioned that running RAM rated at 1600 running at 1333 MHz performs any better than RAM rated at 1333 MHz running at 1333 MHz. Anand briefly alludes to this when saying why he used the 2xxx MHz RAM for all his tests, and just to verify if it is justified, also ran some RAM rated at 1600 MHz but found no difference from that rated at 2xxx running at 1600. Chit doesn't even talk about this topic.

I used to get in the same arguments earlier with members that the rated memory for Sandy-Bridge is just 1333MHz and purchasing 1600MHz rated modules is a waste of cash and there will be no performance benefit.

There are, I repeat plenty of members using Sandy-Bridge non-over-clockable RIG's (Core i5 2400 + DH67-BL @viralbug and @BIKeINSTEIN are the first that come to mind) with 1600MHz RAM modules and the system runs fine. Most of the benches that Anandtech used were a mix of synthetic software test passes and real-world benches, the same situation cannot be created in our assembled RIG's but we can take it (with a pinch of salt) that the performance increments that are highlighted in the tests will be there in our systems as well.

The test systems used in the Anandtech review is given below (explain me how the P67 chipset / Core i3 was running seamlessly with 1600MHz RAM modules? [when both are not officially supportive of the RAM frequency]), using XMP in most cases the users are able to run 1600MHz RAM modules at stated speeds and things work fine.

More on topic -- [Solved] RAM for Sandy Bridge - Memory - Motherboards-Memory / The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge - Comments | bit-tech.net.

I used to get in the same arguments earlier with members that the rated memory for Sandy-Bridge is just 1333MHz and purchasing 1600MHz rated modules is a waste of cash and there will be no performance benefit.
No, I don't think it is a waste of cash, but only because price difference betwee 1333 and 1600 is not much. Even if probability of processor upgrade is 20%, it might make sense to include 1600 MHZ RAM at the outset.

There are, I repeat plenty of members using Sandy-Bridge non-over-clockable RIG's (Core i5 2400 + DH67-BL viralbug and BIKeINSTEIN are the first that come to mind) with 1600MHz RAM modules and the system runs fine.
I am not saying that the system will not run fine. I don't think that motherboard manufacturer can crib about warranty either. But ..

Most of the benches that Anandtech used were a mix of synthetic software test passes and real-world benches, the same situation cannot be created in our assembled RIG's but we can take it (with a pinch of salt) that the performance increments that are highlighted in the tests will be there in our systems as well.

IF we use the memory multipliers that Anand uses. Which is only possible if the motherboard supports XMP" as the ASUS P8P67 Pro used by Anand does. But Gigabyte B75 D3H supports XMP only for Ivy Bridge processors. Still it is fine to be recommended as it will do well during upgrades. But I cannot agree it will help performance right now with Sandy Bridge without XMP.

The test systems used in the Anandtech review is given below (explain me how the P67 chipset / Core i3 was running seamlessly with 1600MHz RAM modules? [when both are not officially supportive of the RAM frequency]), using XMP in most cases the users are able to run 1600MHz RAM modules at stated speeds and things work fine.
Exactly. Using XMP. As long as the motherboard supports XMP, it is awesome, no issues at all.

@ALPHA17: Well in that case... no sweat... a healthy debate always helps...

The OP can then go ahead an use an IVY bridge processor as the price difference between i5-2400 and i5-3450 is about 700 bucks... then he can enjoy 1600 MHz at "full speed" as they say..

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.0). It says it supports XMP but with only 22nm processors, maybe OP needs to reconsider for an MSi-H67M-E35 ~4800/- for this setup.

You have a point here. Cheerio!

Sorry @Detox101. Point has been duly noted.

Dude I went ahead and bought my PC without reading the last statement of Dextox :( . Now i have i3 2120 (diff between this and i5 3450 is around 5k in golcha) ,with B75M-D3H and a 1600 mhz gskill 4 gb ram .. wont be able to change the motherboard now :( ..

Dude I went ahead and bought my PC without reading the last statement of Dextox :( . Now i have i3 2120 (diff between this and i5 3450 is around 5k in golcha) ,with B75M-D3H and a 1600 mhz gskill 4 gb ram .. wont be able to change the motherboard now :( ..

Not an issue mate, the system will work fine although you did loose ~200/- -->300/- quid you spent on the 1600MHz RAM; if you upgrade to an Ivy-Bridge processor in the future you are set.

a healthy debate always helps..

More like it opened my eyes, I think a formal apology is in order.

This set up should help u if u plan to upgrade to 3rd generation i5 processors.. Although, I hope u got urself 2x2GB instead of a single stick of RAM.

Back