Budget 0-20k Need to choose PSU and Case

ShaDe2312

Recruit
Hey everyone, I'll be making a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 6600 based build soon. It will have those two components and 1 m.2 NVME SSD, 2x8gb ram sticks, and no RGB except whatever might come with the case.

In the future, I might upgrade to a R5 5600X, and might add an upto 4TB hard disk in the future. I'm using a B450 Steel legend motherboard.

Based on all this, what PSU and Case combo do you recommend?

I'm thinking 450 watt might be enough for now, and 550 might be slightly future proof, but your recommendations are needed. The only PSU requirement is that it should not trip and it should not hurt my other components. Efficiency is not that big of a deal honestly for me, but it should be a smooth, silent experience and my other parts should be safe.

The case should have sufficient airflow. I'm using the stock 3600 cooler. RGB and other aesthetics is nice to have, but not a heavy requirement. Form over function. Please check if the case you're suggesting fits my board, because I believe there are form factors involved like mATX, ATX, ITX etc.. I'm not very knowledgeable on that front.

Total budget should ideally fit inside 5k for both but willing to extend budget and spend more on PSU to make sure I get a safe PSU.

Thanks to you all in advance!
*Function over form haha

Also, I put in my parts in this power calculator, and it's saying my load wattage might be around 275 watts and is recommending me a 375 watt PSU. In that case, shouldn't 450 watts be enough?

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend 550 watts for the psu and if you are willing to push for the sake of future proofing a 650watt one. A good PSU is important.

From my experience, Antec PSUs are among best. I own a Corsair RM850, Seasonic SSR-750, Antec EDG750 & Antec NeoPower Blue 650.
Out of these, Seasonic died in 7 years, Corsair died in 4 years . The oldest Antec NeoPower blue still serving pretty well since 2008. And on my main system its Antec EDG750 which is running normal for last 4 years.

Now regarding your setup, If You want to be future proof, opt for 650w PSU minimum. Its not like that You gonna keep upgrading it for future builds. A good PSU will last for a decade.
However if You are dead set on budget, get a 500-550w.

How is a C tier PSU for this build?

I can get Gigabyte P650B 650W PSU for 3900, which is a C Tier PSU on the PSU Tier list.

OR

An Asus TUF Gaming 550W, which is B tier on the list for 5000.

Also looking at other options of course

Hey everyone, I'll be making a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 6600 based build soon. It will have those two components and 1 m.2 NVME SSD, 2x8gb ram sticks, and no RGB except whatever might come with the case.

In the future, I might upgrade to a R5 5600X, and might add an upto 4TB hard disk in the future. I'm using a B450 Steel legend motherboard.

Based on all this, what PSU and Case combo do you recommend?

I'm thinking 450 watt might be enough for now, and 550 might be slightly future proof, but your recommendations are needed. The only PSU requirement is that it should not trip and it should not hurt my other components. Efficiency is not that big of a deal honestly for me, but it should be a smooth, silent experience and my other parts should be safe.

The case should have sufficient airflow. I'm using the stock 3600 cooler. RGB and other aesthetics is nice to have, but not a heavy requirement. Form over function. Please check if the case you're suggesting fits my board, because I believe there are form factors involved like mATX, ATX, ITX etc.. I'm not very knowledgeable on that front.

Total budget should ideally fit inside 5k for both but willing to extend budget and spend more on PSU to make sure I get a safe PSU.

Thanks to you all in advance!
*Function over form haha

Also, I put in my parts in this power calculator, and it's saying my load wattage might be around 275 watts and is recommending me a 375 watt PSU. In that case, shouldn't 450 watts be enough?
650 to 750 is minimum now a days :p consider getting it as it might be uses full for next upgrade as well. telling based on experience.

How is a C tier PSU for this build?

I can get Gigabyte P650B 650W PSU for 3900, which is a C Tier PSU on the PSU Tier list.

OR

An Asus TUF Gaming 550W, which is B tier on the list for 5000.

Also looking at other options of course
A good tier C PSU should be fine. Try shooting for 80+ Bronze, at the very least.

For the configuration you have mentioned, a good 550 - 600W will suffice, especially if it's something along the likes of Seasonic etc. Avoid garbage from brands like Ant Esports.

750 will be overkill unless you plan on going with something like a 3080Ti or higher.

I'm running a 5600 + R9 290 on a 450w just fine currently.

For the config you've mentioned, my suggestion would be along these lines, first off the bronze rated psu comes with 85℅ efficiency and 3 yr warranty and the Ant sports case offers decent airflow on a budget with 4 rgb fans.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-19-20-03-15-270_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-19-20-03-15-270_com.android.chrome.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2022-11-19-20-05-44-381_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-19-20-05-44-381_com.android.chrome.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 53
For the config you've mentioned, my suggestion would be along these lines, first off the bronze rated psu comes with 85℅ efficiency and 3 yr warranty and the Ant sports case offers decent airflow on a budget with 4 rgb fans.
I would suggest the Antec Neo 550 over this for the same price. Better OEM and parts. Plus it's semi-modular.

My suggestion was purely based on the user’s requirement and budget ,sure neo range from antec does offer better parts,if the user is willing to stretch the budget a bit,than i would suggest looking for deecool pm650d gold non modular psu,comes with 5 year warranty and 90% efficiency,having used pm750 to power my 5900x and 3070ti rig,i would say,it’s a pretty decent choice.

Back