Graphic Cards Need Your Help! FPS Drops & Stuttering on High-End PC

Connect your PC to your TV with HDMI and see if it helps with the frame drops. It could be related to your G-Sync monitor.
Will try another monitor with 60 Hz. But I don't eneble G-Sync on my XB271HU 144 Hz monitor.
Do you have any other GPU to rule out GPU issues? Spikes can be caused by the GPU randomly clocking down due to a failing power delivery system. Faced this on an R9 290 I had for a while.
I have AMD Radeon HD7700 will try after all tests.

Do you have any other GPU to rule out GPU issues? Spikes can be...

UPDATE 4

I did all the suggestions from HOWIEJC troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't helpful in anyway.

I did the following actions:
UEFI:
- Install 1301 update and cleaned CMOS
- Customize fans curve and disable unnecessary EXT FANS
- Disable FastBoot
- Set X4 speed for PCIE3_3 and M.2_2 slots
- Set XMP 3,200 MHz
- Disable TurboBoost, SpeedShift/SpeedStep, C-states, Spread Spectrum and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement
- Set "Sync All Cores" to [37]

Windows:
- Completely reinstall Windows 7 and change to Ultimate SP1 version
- Install all drivers
- Disable Windows Update, Defender and Firewall
- Set High Performance Mode
- Set Windows Timer Resolution to 0.5ms with TimerTool and did all tests with it been enabled in the tray
- Disable Core Parking & Frequency Scaling with ParkControl form BitSum
- Set almost ALL (except of Intel SMBUS A2A3) PCI devices to use MSI instead of traditional IRQ channels - Set mouse polling to 1,000 MHz

NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Set Max Pre-Rendered Frames to "1"
- Set Prefer Max Performance (even tried Optimal Power as you said in some of your posts)
- Set Threaded Optimization to "ON"
- Disable G-\VSync and AA

MSI Afterburner:
- Completely reinstall it
- Check and correct all AB settings to have the perfect config

Games:
- Do tests with MAXIMUM and MINIMUM possible graphics settings (TLDR: wasn't helpful)
- Change render quality
- Change screen resolution to MAX and MIN

Settings and games logs in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with no updates:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJw9FySD7Hw4sAGckB8cqjWYJLCqyxv9

Can you help me with any working advice?

Because I'm completely disappointed about these issues on the TOP ~5K$ RIG. =(
I really want to know what is the culprit, software or what worse — hardware. And how I can figure out the source of all this c**p?

P.S.
1. Have you any similar issue on your PC? If yes, how are you get rid of issues on your rig? Do you removed stuttering completely?
2. What are the most valuable tweaks for your PC?
3. Do you notice issues after set UEFI and Windows settings to default?
4. Do you play and have any issues in PUBG, CS:GO or games that I've tested?
5. Does Steam (running in the tray) affect games performance?
6. Is it better to run games without Steam if possible or there are no noticeable changes?

P.S. 2
I'll retest games with 43 or 47 CPU multiplier and TurboBoost enabled.

You tried too many software related solutions and yet the problem persists. It seems your issue is related to hardware. Start with memtest86 on RAM and then do a blender test for 1-2 hours and see if the cpu can keep up and try with different GPU and Mobo if you can. Also you said you have a laptop do you face the same stuttering issue in your laptop ?

Can you help me with any working advice?

Because I'm completely disappointed about these issues on the TOP ~5K$ RIG. =(
I really want to know what is the culprit, software or what worse — hardware. And how I can figure out the source of all this c**p?

P.S.
1. Have you any similar issue on your PC? If yes, how are you get rid of issues on your rig? Do you removed stuttering completely?
6. Is it better to run games without Steam if possible or there are no noticeable changes?

P.S.
I do own a beast but a bit older. Sluttering occurs occasionally on some new games but thats only when the graphics gets way too complex for the gpu or my rig like lots of war going with smoke, horizon, gun flares, firing, missiles, bloodsheds, fogs, leaves, blastings bombs etc etc to name a few and that too during mouse movement around to track enemy and fire gun. Or if I havent tweaked the nvidia settings for that particular game.

If you dont have any issues with normal computer operations then hardcore tweaking with the bios, ram, os is completely useless as its only gonna do more damage and you end up crying that the previous settings were worthy than the current ones...hit and miss.

I have disabled windows update + defender + search indexing to name a few etc. as i use 3rd party tools for everything i disable.
Have disabled anisotropic filtering etc effects in nvidia panel or have set it to auto unless my games doesnt run the way they should on my rig.
Bios, I have set all settings to customized manual incl ram timings, cpu multiplier etc etc though nothing was or is overclocked.
Have directly disabled TPU and EPU dip switch on the mobo. It helps in performance in resource hungry apps incl games etc as it auto safely overclocks your entire rig minus gpu but it rises cpu temps too & I always prefer running cpu to its coolest max possible so have disabled both hardware switches. I'm good with occasional sluttering in games and here and there.

Never tried it as i never really rely on defaults for anything.

CS:GO. Never bothered fps as it was always smooth. I dont like the CS series itself so removed it within 4 days.

I have ubisoft and it doesn't matter as they have designed their services to work in background and not affect rig performance.

Dont think so but you may try.

** I only care about games I play and if they play good I have no complaints. I dont care if other games might not play well on my rig or if its entirely not supported. Cant keep upgrading rig every now and then. Major upgrade every 4-5 yrs is what I aim at.

You tried too many software related solutions and yet the problem persists. It seems your issue is related to hardware. Start with memtest86 on RAM and then do a blender test for 1-2 hours and see if the cpu can keep up and try with different GPU and Mobo if you can. Also you said you have a laptop do you face the same stuttering issue in your laptop ?
My laptop can't handle such powerful games even on MIN settings.
I tried MemTest and Windows memory test, no issues after 2-3 passes. Will try with AMD GPU.

Have you tried following all togerher? - Complete format + bios reset + latest drivers?
TLDR: Issues almost disappear with AMD GPU! I assume it's 100% NVIDIA driver or card failure.

I've tested games with AMD Radeon HD7770 GPU.
I'll be write Update 5 tomorrow with more details.
If you want some info before full Update 5 change-log — you can check MSI AB .hml logs recorded with AMD.

Hardware Monitor logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1riQbrv0E7QhWGAoXxnlmvmkmmdWMRDb7

Important Edit:
I have already returned to NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti and tested Team Fortress 2. Everything was smooth and without spikes BUT at the end of last log recording frametime started jumping every 0.1-0.5 sec to constant 18.7 FPS! Something really goes wrong.

Team Fortress 2 logs (GTX 1080 Ti):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GgXC-kbaqWJO8WBgn5T4HdH5oOqT2YuB

Extreme spikes at the end of logging (screenshot):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZZISlFClcQMHjSmAcZu9GeSgbxAuIl2p

Last edited:
You should clear your driver with ddu and go back to a one from 3-4month ago.
If you still get this problem then just return the card, RMA is a hassle so try replacing it and call your seller.

Already told you earlier it's driver issue as many are struggling with it.
The best driver for goin is the one which comes bundled in the CD accompanied inside the box.
Use ddu tool to clear all drivers from your system and freshly install the drivers from the CD.

You should clear your driver with ddu and go back to a one from 3-4month ago.
If you still get this problem then just return the card, RMA is a hassle so try replacing it and call your seller.
Will record GPUView and MSINFO32 for Nvidia support team for analysis first.
Already told you earlier it's driver issue as many are struggling with it.
The best driver for goin is the one which comes bundled in the CD accompanied inside the box.
Use ddu tool to clear all drivers from your system and freshly install the drivers from the CD.
I always uninstall drivers with DDU. I tried 376.xx driver from my CD - no changes.
I know that there are too many complaints about stuttering and spikes on 1080/1080 Ti. Maybe it's global GPU hardware fault?

Where and when did you buy it?
If from local shop then go to them and ask for replacement, many shop owners take responsibility for RMA and can replace it on their own.

Last resort now replace your card. And then too if it doesnt resolve then you either have to leave it or live with it.
Bad situation. =(
Where and when did you buy it?
If from local shop then go to them and ask for replacement, many shop owners take responsibility for RMA and can replace it on their own.
From internet store in another city. First of all I should send GPU to the SC of vendor.[DOUBLEPOST=1524991444][/DOUBLEPOST]Can anyone else help me by checking the post with AMD GPU results above?

Last edited:
From the images you shared, is your main issue the very infrequent drops to 5fps? I see only 1 dip per each image.
Are you sure you aren't just over analyzing the graphs?

Is the issue noticeable if you turn off all graphs and just focus on the game?

Did you try a non G-sync monitor? Some G-sync displays periodically try to enable G-sync and if your gpu doesn't support it then it will result in framerate dips during those checks.

Also try lowering game details to the absolute minimum and enable v-sync.
If the gameplay now feels smooth then you are over sensitive to frame times.

This happens to me, I can tell when my 60fps v-synced game drops to 59fps.
Playing without v-sync is impossible for me.

Last edited:
From the images you shared, is your main issue the very infrequent drops to 5fps? I see only 1 dip per each image.
Are you sure you aren't just over analyzing the graphs?

Is the issue noticeable if you turn off all graphs and just focus on the game?

Did you try a non G-sync monitor? Some G-sync displays periodically try to enable G-sync and if your gpu doesn't support it then it will result in framerate dips during those checks.

Also try lowering game details to the absolute minimum and enable v-sync.
If the gameplay now feels smooth then you are over sensitive to frame times.

This happens to me, I can tell when my 60fps v-synced game drops to 59fps.
Playing without v-sync is impossible for me.
1, Drops to 5 FPS it's one of the max drops. Usually frames drop to 9-18 FPS in GTA and 14-32 FPS in TW3, etc.
2. Even when I disable AB monitoring and the OSD I continue to notice freezes. OSD helps to determine issues more accurately.
3. I've tried to test with simple 100$ 60 Hz NO G-Sync Tn-TFT monitor. No changes, the same problems. So, it's 100% not XB271HU fault.
4. I've already tried to lowering settings to MAX minimum and set resolution to 800x600! Wasn't helpful.
5. VSync helps a bit for GTA 5 only but I hate any input lag.

Back