Storage Solutions New seagate 2TB hdd died suddenly

6pack

ex-Mod
My bad luck with internal drives seems to be on.
A new seagate drive i bought few months back from Amazon (probably in March 2017) just died. And weird thing is it was in storage and not even attached to the pc. I just used it for 2-3 months just to copy stuff on to it and removed it from pc and kept it covered in its original anti static cover. Now when i tried to attach it to pc its only showing 380MB or something in windows. In linux it was showing 100's of errors of reading physical blocks. :(

I didn't even get to make a 1:1 copy of the drives contents. 1.9TB of anime lost. with bakabt and other sites down, now nowhere to get those stuff. i think i didn't even watch 70% of the stuff which was on it. feel so sad now.

why are internal drives so bad?

Edit: I bought it in March 2016 from eBay. So just a year has passed for this drive.

Wish I had a home made Nas. Would have saved me the tears of the lost 2TB of data.

Last edited:
The hard disk throws error in sector 0x0 in seatools dos. SO seems like everything is destroyed. I have a doubt if the chip is destroyed and not the physical disk. could the person repairing the drive view contents on it?

Asking cause I had taken a catalog of the disk sometime back and it has a zip file containing some important documents. Its not password protected. How do i destroy it? cant see anything on hdd since it does not even load, so can't format it. hdd shows up as just 4000MB in dos. This zip contains all my banking info, documents, etc. so it will be bad if it gets into some bad guys hands.

disk is in warranty till 2019. should i take the 6.5k hit and not give the disk for RMA?[DOUBLEPOST=1500983948][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems data is destroyed as soon as they get the drive.

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/data-overwriting/

Looks like Lacie owns Seagate now.

Last edited:
I really don't think there's much to bother about with regards to confidential data when returning the disk, however it also depends on if the data is even readable when they do sort out the issue.. if it's really that critical I would probably just take the hit and destroy the disk physically myself

Yes. Seatools for Windows couldn't see the drive. Seatools for dos worked. The drive failed both short and long tests.

I even put the drive in an external USB hub to test it. The drive doesn't even spin up. No noise of drive spinning and no vibration. The drive and logic board were both cold to touch after 5 minutes in the hub.

Yes. Seatools for Windows couldn't see the drive. Seatools for dos worked. The drive failed both short and long tests.

I even put the drive in an external USB hub to test it. The drive doesn't even spin up. No noise of drive spinning and no vibration. The drive and logic board were both cold to touch after 5 minutes in the hub.

Always avoid buying HDD online as they might easily get damaged if not properlly handled(Most of the time this is the case). On the side note what error is being reported when you load up any Linux OS? Can you give me S.M.A.R.T report?(If your drive is visible)

drive is not visible in windows (visible in disk management as un-initialized disk) or linux. In crystal disk info, no smart info is visible. the page is blank and it shows 132Gb drive.
In linux os, in the disks menu, it shows drive of 4GB with one bad sector and unformatted. all options to format etc are disabled.

Seatools for dos couldnt read disk and gave this error code - E79FF04E

Edit: SMART info in crystaldiskinfo was similar to this old post of mine (seagate drive here too)

drive is not visible in windows (visible in disk management as un-initialized disk) or linux. In crystal disk info, no smart info is visible. the page is blank and it shows 132Gb drive.
In linux os, in the disks menu, it shows drive of 4GB with one bad sector and unformatted. all options to format etc are disabled.

Seatools for dos couldnt read disk and gave this error code - E79FF04E

Edit: SMART info in crystaldiskinfo was similar to this old post of mine (seagate drive here too)

its Dead Get it replaced ASAP.

Change the pcb and recover data

It's not so simple now. Each pcb has a BIOS chip with data regarding where data is on the drive. Each HDD BIOS has different settings. Even the pcb costs $50 with free BIOS replacement. Even after that, the chance that the disk will work is 50%.

Not worth it imo. Better to replace the drive. I'm waiting for the rainy season to end. Don't want to send the drive to Chennai now.

Not worth it imo. Better to replace the drive. I'm waiting for the rainy season to end. Don't want to send the drive to Chennai now.

Why Chennai only? Where are you located? Don't Seagate & WD have RMA ASC in every metro?

In RMA page they have told to ship the HDD through courier to Chennai. They will return the courier amount if we send a scanned copy of the receipt to them. New replacement HDD will be sent as soon as they get old HDD.

In RMA page they have told to ship the HDD through courier to Chennai. They will return the courier amount if we send a scanned copy of the receipt to them. New replacement HDD will be sent as soon as they get old HDD.

This is crazy! I recall WD & Seagate both had local ASC/RMA centres for warranty. Never had to ship a bad drive via courier

Ah, but you need to register at accel wms and not via Seagate. I was in a similar predicament, went to ASSC and did on the spot registration.

Asking cause I had taken a catalog of the disk sometime back and it has a zip file containing some important documents. Its not password protected. How do i destroy it? cant see anything on hdd since it does not even load, so can't format it. hdd shows up as just 4000MB in dos. This zip contains all my banking info, documents, etc. so it will be bad if it gets into some bad guys hands.

You have 3 options

Firstly take the hit and destroy the HDD - I don't think you need to do this.

Secondly, use a strong magnet and wipe the HDD - this might cause physical damage and is least recommended.

Thirdly, run the ATA Secure Erase command. Best, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1501727955][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looks like Lacie owns Seagate now.

Um, nopes. 'tis the reverse, Seagate owns Lacie now.[DOUBLEPOST=1501727999][/DOUBLEPOST]
You have 3 options

Firstly take the hit and destroy the HDD - I don't think you need to do this.

Secondly, use a strong magnet and wipe the HDD - this might cause physical damage and is least recommended.

Thirdly, run the ATA Secure Erase command. Best, IMO.

@cyberwarfare @tommy_vercetti could help out.

[DOUBLEPOST=1501727955][/DOUBLEPOST]

Um, nopes. 'tis the reverse, Seagate owns Lacie now.

Back