Budget 0-20k New to NAS, looking for a cabinet

nileshsrox

Patron
So the title says I'm new to NAS(like 3-4 weeks in only) and used an old Dell SFF PC to create a TrueNas build by myself since I had 3 1TB hard drives, I got 4 more from someone on olx, now I have all these drives but no space for them as can be seen from the pic. So 2 drives are already in the case and all the remaining ones are stuck on the outside using local double sided tape, I know this is kinda unsafe but it's working exactly how I wanted it to be, since I'm moving out to a new place in like a month I was wondering if I should instead buy a case/cabinet which can solve this problem of sticking the hdds outside. I am looking for a cabinet that could support all these drives, 8-10 preferably, please advise some that I can purchase online and that would fit the dell oem motherboard, thanks!

Attachments

• wse577y0tqqc1.jpeg
    wse577y0tqqc1.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 69
its freaking 8k and non returnable at that xD
I saw these

but not sure about the return policy of these websites, which one would you recommend out of these?

freaking 8k and non returnable at that
Good morning. Were you under a rock ? You need to go out and explore more, kiddo. Amazon and Flipkart no longer allow returns for computer products.
The link I shared, was of the product, which meets your HDD requirements. You can buy it from wherever you want.
The second one supports only 7 hdds and the third one 8. You need to make up your mind - 7 or 8 or 10 or 12 ? Also you never mentioned a budget.
With respect to the sites you linked, you need to do some work on your own eg. search those sites for the return policies, call or email them.

That's exactly why im posting here, it's been a while since i bought any computer things online, didn't know Amazon and Flipkart no longer allow returns on computer parts! thanks for that info, and yeah I have sent an email to both primeabgb and mdcomputers about it so let's hope for the best! Thanks!

I think it is micro ATX, the motherboard looks like this
https://www.dell.com/support/manual...f7de26-3247-4a25-85ab-e5d5bc487320&lang=en-us
I don't care much about the front io or the button lights, I can figure out a way to turn the PC on as well (saw some vids today) But I specifically need to purchase a cabinet for the number of HDD in it.
That's a proprietary board with a mostly non standard mounting layout and size.
GUID-7D2B6F48-C6CD-4AAC-86C2-CF321CB278E6-low.jpg

Even if you don't care about about front IO ,
you're going to have to make sure the board clears all of the case surfaces and doesn't interfere with any of the drive cages if it's that long.

EATX supported cases may accomodate this

Why not ditch the Dell and get something off the shelf or maybe even used...

Last edited:
I'd suggest you to make an external jbod by salvaging hdd enclosures from old pc cases (can be found in local stores) and connect it using an HBA card, make sure to go for the card with an 'e' suffix, which means the cables are connected externally.
You can take some inspiration from this :

connect it using an HBA card
Which cost at least 4-5k here not to mention the extra cost of breakout cables. An old cheap 6-8 sata ports mobo along with a used processor is much better option.

but not sure about the return policy of these websites
Their return policy is basically this, you open the product & install/power it on & if it turns out dead/defective then return possible if reported within 3 days & damage is not physical (in case of electronics stuff like motherboard & you have a perfect uncut unboxing video). No returns for product in working condition/no damage like in case of cabinet.

Which cost at least 4-5k here not to mention the extra cost of breakout cables. An old cheap 6-8 sata ports mobo along with a used processor is much better option.
you can also buy a sata adapter like the one with the Asm1166 chip, its a cheaper alternative and better than other cards as they interfere with C-states.

So the title says I'm new to NAS(like 3-4 weeks in only) and used an old Dell SFF PC to create a TrueNas build by myself since I had 3 1TB hard drives, I got 4 more from someone on olx, now I have all these drives but no space for them as can be seen from the pic. So 2 drives are already in the case and all the remaining ones are stuck on the outside using local double sided tape, I know this is kinda unsafe but it's working exactly how I wanted it to be, since I'm moving out to a new place in like a month I was wondering if I should instead buy a case/cabinet which can solve this problem of sticking the hdds outside. I am looking for a cabinet that could support all these drives, 8-10 preferably, please advise some that I can purchase online and that would fit the dell oem motherboard, thanks!

Believe it or not I actually like the way that compact Dell SFF case looks with the attached Drives on top. Looks like a very cool ghetto NAS rig!

That being said a couple of good options for a NAS build I can suggest are a Corsair Obsidian 750D or a Corsair 780t (hoping that you don't mind a heavy case with larger footprint). These cases are full towers and come with good number of drive bay options and also grant the user the flexibility to upgrade the number of drive cages and expand them if needed in future. Try and check if you can get the 750D in the used market for a good price.

Here's my NAS build inside a Corsair Obsidian 750D for reference:

DSCF5659.jpg

^^ I have actually mounted additional drive cages which I bought from Corsair.

Another NAS Case Option is this one: SilverStone Alloy Steel Cs380

I think @ibose (or maybe someone else here on this forum) had this case for a NAS build.

You could also see if you can find an Antec P-100 Silent Case. That will also be a very strong contender for a NAS build.

I would say hop on FB Marketplace/OLX and find a used Corsair/Coolermaster case like the one I had (CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced). If you are in Pune you can take mine, it will fit in your budget and would be cheaper from newer options. It can hold 7 drives + 3 with 5.25" to 3.5" adapters (I also have those)

Thanks everyone for the replies, I am going through all the options. as @ibose said, I was a bit hesitant at first due to the mobo, thinking it might not be compatible, but i researched around more and I think i can do some diy to make it compatible, also i apologize for not writing the budget in the post, as it was my first post here, didn't really know what things to write and just created the post in hurry.

@demikaun I saw that video too and was actually gonna go with that before posting here but i would actually prefer a cabinet, thanks!

Believe it or not I actually like the way that compact Dell SFF case looks with the attached Drives on top. Looks like a very cool ghetto NAS rig!
Thanks man, but i recently got shocked when my leg touched it, thats why im going for a cabinet to make it a bit more safe

been browsing fb marketplace, reddit and olx constantly for a few days, thats how i found about this website too xD

I think I will go with a coolermaster or antec, still need to research a bit more because of this mobo, but everyone here was a huge help Thanks again!

I always suggest Node 804 for this, but it's no longer available on the sites I kind of frequent...

And aside from the HH video @demikaun linked above, there's another kinda popular 3D model available:

There's also a free version available of it:

The difference being:
1714553183582.png

I'm not sure if AliExpress still works here, or whether customs costs are applied, but they have many good, cheap HBA options available on their site.
For example,

Best of luck and let us know what you end up building! <3

Back