New toys :P

Nikhil, after you are done fixing the cap n stuff ensure there is enough contact between the hs and gpu core. In my case the thermal pads were thick and prevented the core from getting any contact. So had to use a paper napkin before the backplate to pull in the hs closer towards the core.

yeah I know that problem. Quite a common one.....

I had not yet put thermal paste. I was fitting the heatsink without thermal paste to check exactly that... :p

EDIT: Now am somewhat more calm to reply to the replies :p

Got the Verbatim box for 30S$. or 30 x 27 = 810 Rs :D Each DVD is 16.5 Rs. :D

the NV silencer REV 29(with thermal pads) for 60$. less than 1800 Rs.

the thermal paste and thermal pad for around 10S$. or 270/- Rs.

ok..... update.

Got the cap soldered at Sony service station. They did such a good job that you wont even know that it was soldered recently.

Pic here... the one labelled C712 is the one that was soldered.

then installed Silencer but the damn thermal pads are too thick. The core was not making proper contact with heatsink. Idle temps were 80 Dg c. Immediately shut down comp and tried to remove NV Silencer.

but no.... that screw which was loose again got loose(I could not get it soldered at sony service station and had used a drop of Super glue to keep it in place. It again started rotatring with the nut while trying to loosen it. Anyway used a pliers to hold the screw and then loosened the nut properly.

But wait..... more in store. one of the other screws came out completely from the copper base!!!

When you installthe Silencer, supposed to be like this

Tried looseing the nut and the whole damn thing came out.

Dont know what to do for that. I am convinced that it is a manufacturing defect..... And it HAS to happen to me only...... sad....

Anyway, then took the thermal pads from the Silencer and fitted back the stock BFG heatsink. A perfect match!!! Core is now at 54 deg C idle. and 75 deg C load. And it is not with AS5 but some other CoolermasterPremium my dad brought. The reviews of this thermal paste are very discouraging but the performance is as good as AS5.

And I am not able to tighten one side of the Silencer because of that damn screw which keeps rotating with the nut. If I tighten that properly, then I guess the core will make proper contact with the copper base.

Any ideas guys?? For all the problems I have mentioned :p

but overall, today I will sleep satsified. The card is ok. Ran RTHDRIBL for 2 hrs and no artefacts(didnt expect any :p ).

Thanks to DJ and Funky.... without their encouraging and hopeful words, I would have been a wreck by now :p

I also have these thermal pads from Coolermaster. they are thinner than the ones given with the silencer. But they are not enough to fit on 8 Ram chips.

Any ideas?? Or can I try getting hold of more of these coolermaster pads to fit on all the 8 RAM chips?? But in my opinion, if I can get that screw to tighten properly, this wont be necessary.

But before that, how do I put back the screw which came out completely??

Good for ya nikhil ....
firstly how much did you pay @ sony service station ??

secondly i had told you yesterdy not to use superglue , as it is not the proper adhesive for it.

The cheapest and best alternative for you is to take the h/s to any cheap service centre and get the threaded pins soldered. This can be done in front of you within 5 minutes .....cheaply too ...

I paid 300/- at the Sony service centre.

naaah.... j/k. They did it free of cost :D Sony ROCKS!!! :D

And what do I solder??

Am posting pics soon of the heatsink(Silencer i.e)

EDIT:

This screw is the one which keeps rotating with the nut. I cant tighten it all.....

same pic but with the top portion of the screw circled.

the top view again..... I had put a few drops of superglue on this part. It held for sometime but not for long.

So, DJ, what should I solder??

And what abt that screw which has come out completely??

Get both of them soldered.
from both the siides of the h/s copper plate.

since it is copper the solder will make a nice permanent joint.

yeah.,..... waiting for my dad to return.... he will probably tell me where they can do good job.

BTW, DJ, I got some araldite. Do you think I should try araldite for those 2 screws??

good news!!!

As of now, I have installed the Silencer and it is working fine!!! Getting superb load temps.....

Will post more details later.... :D

Anyway just to recap....

the screw which was rotating, I used a bit of super glue from the top. Then 2 days back, I used a bit of some ceramic cement to fix the other screw which had totally come out. I used a bit also on the screw which was rotating.

Now, everything is fine. For how long?? Dont know :p .

Reminds me of the loose screws on my Slot 1 PIII HS which i had fixed with rubberbands (circa 2000)

BTW the machine is still on the line of duty working its A$$ off for my kid cousin :hap2:

Back