Newegg Shipping to India

No idea how this damn thing works.

Recently the same thing happened when I ordered my gaming computer cabinet from primeabgb but they upon my request changed the address and then I just picked it from my friends' home in Delhi. Obviously this is something shipper needs to keep in mind because all of my other components arrived at my home without any problems.

Isn't it the the duty of courier co. to provide Form 38? So one will visit them and duly fill it, complete any other formalities, pay any fees/duty levied and happily get away with their ordered stuff.

Thankfully this isnt the pain for local/national shopping like one shopped from fk, amazon, jabong etc.. else one has to pay some xyz form for rescuing his courier.

It was not a problem earlier but recently the UP state government implemented this change and after that it has been causing a lot of fuss for online buyers from UP. Many sellers on flipkart don't even ship at my pincode any more and my home comes in NCR. Just pathetic.

Wtf? Fear if others states might also follow this pathetic decision.
Btw whats so special with UP for levying such tax?
I'm not an expert in such matters but I have been reading some articles about it and this will give you some insight:

Main part worth reading:
While it may not be political the issue may be specific state regulations. Commenter Anon says:
UP has atrocious sales tax regulation. Each of the goods for sale to UP has to have a Form -38 issued for it by a very corrupt sales department. Each Form – 38 costs money. I guess the physical sellers just bear this cost but to an e-commerce company the margins get hit drastically on each shipment and even more when the goods can’t be delivered.

This observation fills all the gaps – any shipment to an individual needs a Form 39 (and to registered dealers, a Form 38), and this form has to be signed by the commercial tax department. These rules are different from state to state (see Blue Dart Courier’s list!) and it could just be that Flipkart doesn’t get refunded for the VAT it has to pay for unfulfilled orders, and they decided to take that risk upto Rs. 10,000 per order.
Full Article here.

So it looks like the shipper just wanted to save money and didn't want to deal with crappy sales tax department UP has. In the end, end user is getting screwed.

Actually Form 38 is for commercial. Form 39 is for non-commercial and personally used products so that exemption from VAT can be claimed. Getting the form online is not a problem. They can be easily downloaded or collected from the local sales tax office. After that you would have to fill it up and getting it signed and stamped by them is something I'm disinclined to do, as I presume is a task that requires some hassle and some bribe and stuff to get it done on the same day etc.

I usually end up fighting with government employees because they think they need to be paid a bribe for doing the work they're suppose to do. I despise them and like to avoid dealing with these thugs altogether.

Anyways I'm in the process of talking with the DHL people. Waiting for approval so that I can collect the package directly from their storage facility (1 hour away from my home), where I will show my ID\address proof and collect it.

So just posting an update:

In the end the only way I could get the shipment was by filling Form 39 myself. Had to pay 260 rupees as bribe to get it done and a 100 rupee affidavit was attached with the documents. Getting it done was quite easy since I had a contact who is a central government employee himself. Otherwise the sales tax guy was telling me he would've taken more bribe from me, so like maybe 500-1000 more perhaps. Anyways...

List of required documents were:
-To get Form 39 from UP sales tax department you have to fill a 3 page application. Form was in pure Hindi and at that moment I realized how much I sucked at Hindi. :p
-Attach a copy of the Invoice of the purchased product that you want to ship in UP.
-Attach the credit card statement showing proof of purchase or any other document for the relevant mode of money transfer used to buy it.
-Attach the proof of shipper's address, where the product was stuck (not original shipper). So basically DHL's tracking detail showing the current location in New Delhi.
-Address Proof - here I used my Passport and Aadhar Card, one is enough though. You can use anything else like SBI passbook or whatever verified by government itself.
-Affidavit where I told them that it was for personal use and won't be sold for commercial purposes etc on a 10 rupee stamp paper. Plenty of people sit outside the building who will type it up for you. 100 was his fee.
-10 rupee stamp on actual Form 39.

So it took me like 1 hour and the Form 39 looks like this:
kn5qDGK.jpg

After that I just submitted it to the closet DHL centre which was close to my home and it reached its destination in Delhi by midnight. My RAM has been finally delivered, today. :)

Newegg's customer service is crap. Their chat system is very good but their shipping team is completely out of sync and slow. I kept waiting for their approval to collect it from Delhi but they took weeks to even reply it and I received their approval today but guess what? Yeah already have it now. So, be careful when choosing an address since Newegg can't change international addresses once they ship the item. Also their response time is very slow so don't expect any prompt help from them.

It's better to trust Amazon with this. Their international customer support is very efficient and fast and if it was Amazon then they would've given me the approval long ago and then DHL guys would've given me the package. Amazon knows Indian logistics and state rules better than Newegg which is still new with international shipping. Also Amazon's shipping rates are cheaper in comparison, at least in my state\city which is close\next to Delhi.

Anyways, I managed to get DDR4 16GB kit for just 14000 rather than paying 24-30K to Indian sellers for the same exact model. Very unreasonable prices here in India for DDR4 RAM.
BOwqgOE.jpg

So just posting an update:

In the end the only way I could get the shipment was by filling Form 39 myself. Had to pay 260 rupees as bribe to get it done and a 100 rupee affidavit was attached with the documents. Getting it done was quite easy since I had a contact who is a central government employee himself. Otherwise the sales tax guy was telling me he would've taken more bribe from me, so like maybe 500-1000 more perhaps. Anyways...

List of required documents were:
-To get Form 39 from UP sales tax department you have to fill a 3 page application. Form was in pure Hindi and at that moment I realized how much I sucked at Hindi. :p
-Attach a copy of the Invoice of the purchased product that you want to ship in UP.
-Attach the credit card statement showing proof of purchase or any other document for the relevant mode of money transfer used to buy it.
-Attach the proof of shipper's address, where the product was stuck (not original shipper). So basically DHL's tracking detail showing the current location in New Delhi.
-Address Proof - here I used my Passport and Aadhar Card, one is enough though. You can use anything else like SBI passbook or whatever verified by government itself.
-Affidavit where I told them that it was for personal use and won't be sold for commercial purposes etc on a 10 rupee stamp paper. Plenty of people sit outside the building who will type it up for you. 100 was his fee.
-10 rupee stamp on actual Form 39.

So it took me like 1 hour and the Form 39 looks like this:
kn5qDGK.jpg

After that I just submitted it to the closet DHL centre which was close to my home and it reached its destination in Delhi by midnight. My RAM has been finally delivered, today. :)

Newegg's customer service is crap. Their chat system is very good but their shipping team is completely out of sync and slow. I kept waiting for their approval to collect it from Delhi but they took weeks to even reply it and I received their approval today but guess what? Yeah already have it now. So, be careful when choosing an address since Newegg can't change international addresses once they ship the item. Also their response time is very slow so don't expect any prompt help from them.

It's better to trust Amazon with this. Their international customer support is very efficient and fast and if it was Amazon then they would've given me the approval long ago and then DHL guys would've given me the package. Amazon knows Indian logistics and state rules better than Newegg which is still new with international shipping. Also Amazon's shipping rates are cheaper in comparison, at least in my state\city which is close\next to Delhi.

Anyways, I managed to get DDR4 16GB kit for just 14000 rather than paying 24-30K to Indian sellers for the same exact model. Very unreasonable prices here in India for DDR4 RAM.
BOwqgOE.jpg
Good to know that atleast you got the intended product safely.

Yes, Amazon might be better in international shipping as they already operate in India. So they might have been much faster and efficient. Having said that. They don't always offer prices like newegg on electronics. So, it's basically hit and miss.

Something that I would have loved to see you do was to somehow record the voice or video of the officials asking for bribe and then release it on facebook or whatsapp.
That would have hurt them badly. And might have forced the UP govt to take this ridiculous order back.

Yeah. It depends on the seller who's selling at Amazon, also product sometimes. In my case I saw that Amazon would've been cheaper by 1K had I chosen it instead of Newegg. But still quite happy to see that it was delivered without any physical damage since it was just lying at DHL's storage facility for 15 days or so.

And lol I might've done something like that had they given me some hard time over it. They were polite and almost every state department takes 100-200 bribe to get things done. If they were trying to squeeze more money then I might've objected but my only priority at that time was to get my package asap. Nothing else was on my mind at the time. I ordered it in mid June. :p

Back