Nirbhaya documentary: Why Javed Akhtar, Anu Aga's views differ completely

^^ My bad, she didn't deny visa, but Internship. But his main objective to visit Germany was Internship not tourism.

She denied same opportunity to another second student also.

My point here is not about that specific case, but the general image projected about Indians all over the world for misdoings for very very few in 1.2 billion. Unlike earlier times, lot of Indians are visiting foreign nations due to business, career and other reasons. Thous should not be ridiculed and taken advantage of stupid misdoings of few maniacs out of a 1.2 billions. You will only realize this when you start suffering from such cases.

Cultural issues are part of every society, it will be in high in a third world, eastern culture as huge as India. To over-project that is beyond racism, that is opportunism.

And about quick justice, we are discussing this over and over. We do have issues there it is being fully addressed. Another fact is that a huge number of rape cases are now reported to be false claims. Add that to quick justice requirement and you will get at least few dozen innocents rotting in Indian jails

Last edited:
You will only realize this when you start suffering from such cases.
I know, for example... being "fined" by police in pune for not being able to speak in Marathi.

Xenophobia is everywhere. And moving from hyd to pune is not much different than moving from hyd to sydney. You may deny it because you may not have faced it.

I know, for example... being "fined" by police in pune for not being able to speak in Marathi.

Xenophobia is everywhere. And moving from hyd to pune is not much different than moving from hyd to sydney. You may deny it because you may not have faced it.

This is exactly this is what I am saying. Xenophobia, rapes and different kind of violence happens all over the world. If one read about Govt. suppressed cases in UK itself, India may fair ok.

So, why too unfair on India/ns specifically ? Why should India/ns only be on target of ridicule ?

If people start created documentaries over hidden cases in some most developed countries, it surely will shake some ground and make some changes back here in India too.

Last edited:
target of ridicule
First of all, you are questioning the intent of documentary maker. The intent of the documentary was not to make india the target of ridicule. Remeber the documentary only documents the incident but doesnt draw any conclusion from it. it is the people who draw conclusions.
If people start created documentaries over hidden cases in some most developed countries, it surely will shake some ground and make some changes back here in India too.
That should be encouraged. but hey! why only in all the developed countries? why not in India lead the change? Why do you want India to adopt to the changes made in the developed countries? Western culture and Indian culture are not same. To start with, most of the countries dont have censor board. they only rate the movies and not censor them.
Frankly, the above statement is the most ridiculous thing I read.

No use arguing with Prole73, he has 1 fixed idea in his head and nothings going to change that.
The problem is the majority of Indians think like Prole73 and thats why India is in such deep shit today

And we meet again....!

Please see my detailed replies below:

You seems to have have serious issue with 'glory and sanctity' of India.
Yes, I do. Are not most of my posts around this factor a corollary of the same...? What glory does India have..? It was not even a sovereign nation (united), till the British came in, and created the concept. We were just a land mass of Balkan states, which once in a while would get united by some foreign power and then fragment again, due to our infighting and highly ethnocentric views. Had it not been for WW2 and how the European powers were just tired of warfare and managing property eons away, we might have remained enslaved for much longer. That is our glory. And once we did receive our independence large portions wanted their own state(s) which they do till date. Though the factions are splinter groups, I hardly see any patriotism in Indians apart from Cricket...! Religion and caste are still used as machination tools by our leaders, and we follow suite. Regarding our sanctity. LOL. We Indians, are the most dishonest beings on this planet. Why do we even need to discuss this...? The word corruption encompasses all our sanctity and boils it down to one functionary descriptive word: rotten.Our core is riddled black and vile. Most of our industrial projects and/or departments and mass operational segments are overloaded with unplanned development and personal self driven zeal, which has nothing (or even tangential) parallel to growth and humane care. We cannot even take proper care of our women-folk, how should we set a standard of glory and sanctity for the World to look at us, and smile..?

Can you please excuse us from your psychological sentiments and talk some real sense.
This is probably the second time you are saying this to me. What does not make sense to you...? I have been stating actual and literal statements. Anyways, if it seems like Psy-Ops to you, even better. At least it should drill home. Irrespective.

Show us a country which is as glorious and sanctimonious as per your utopian dreams ?
Most of the West is honest. I have been abroad, and read about other countries. Barring MENA (for the unrest and war) and some African countries, most of the World is doing better than us. See places like Singapore, which were set up recently. We as a Nation cannot even take jokes and ridicule about our culture / religion how can we uphold the glory and be honest to each other...? And, should I look at other nations..? Please tell me..? Why do we have to compare other nations when talking about India. I do not get this angle (though even I have divulged in it). Can we just not talk about the situation here. And regarding glory, all nations have a history. So does India. Ours is sad and pathetic. Ya, we hosted the IVC and are old world, but still remain OLD World. LOL. India is not a progressive state.

Why you are not staying in for eg., UK /such a place and
Yes, will just pack my bags and catch a flight out. ?

stop accusing us for not living up to their standards of hidden rapes (don't remind people hear about their Govt.'s purposefully hidden nasties, it will give trauma to some Indians).
Rape is not hidden in India. It is rampant and out in the open. As I mentioned, even a verbal doctrine and suffocation of rights / freedom == Rape. (I did not understand what you wrote in the brackets).

If you do no have any respect for India,
Yes, I do not. There is nothing to be ashamed of, to hold no respect for a nation which is reeking of a shameful society.

please stop discussing about India then.
That is curtailing free-speech.

At time I wanted to refrain from posting on this forum.
Who am I to comment on this.

But, as an Indian I feel some balanced voices should be heard and addressed.
Yin-Yang.

My point here is not about that specific case, but the general image projected about Indians all over the world for misdoings for very very few in 1.2 billion. Unlike earlier times, lot of Indians are visiting foreign nations due to business, career and other reasons. Thous should not be ridiculed and taken advantage of stupid misdoings of few maniacs out of a 1.2 billions. You will only realize this when you start suffering from such cases.
That is what happens when the crimes of societies are atrocious and horrific. Society as a whole suffers. Oh..and by the way, the rape cases we see are not "stupid". Never can rape be stupid. Please, @Prole73. India is all ready ridiculed all over the web anyways. The list is mind-boggling: Drinking cow urine, being dirty, dead bodies in the Ganga, bad state of women, child labor, casteism akin to slavery, corruption, dishonest approach to life. Should we silo ourselves and live like North Korea and/or Persia, pogroms in Gujarat.

Cultural issues are part of every society, it will be in high in a third world, eastern culture as huge as India. To over-project that is beyond racism, that is opportunism.
Exactly, you have hit the nail-on-head...! Culture (and religion) is what is our hyper-visor.It runs everywhere. That is why many States have de-linked these aspects from governance and decision making bodies.

Why do cases need to be hidden. There should be transparency. Opacity is the advent of crime and malign nature.

Oh..by the way:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/park-street-rape-victim-dies-of-multiple-organ-failure-062121996.html

To start with, most of the countries dont have censor board. they only rate the movies and not censor them
No sir. That will not happen. How else can I protect my kid from hearing words like breast, sex, shit, etc. from stupid foreigners who have zero cultural and moral values..? :p

On a more serious note, like so many people have been mentioning here repeatedly, unless we acknowledge we have a problem in our society, there is no way to deal with it. But that is not gonna happen. When even trivial words are being muted on TV channels; when girls don't have the liberty to dress as they deem fit; when a guy does not have the liberty to be seen hanging out with a girl he likes to be with; when sex cannot be discussed in open; when even healthy debates are censored and opposed; when ridiculing and criticizing ourselves and our faults is considered anti-patriotic... I really doubt if we have "freedom" as we would like to claim. If we cannot even self-criticize, forget about criticisms from others. We will continue our free-fall for a long long time.

No use arguing with Prole73, he has 1 fixed idea in his head and nothings going to change that.
The problem is the majority of Indians think like Prole73 and thats why India is in such deep shit today

People with only one agenda are those who want to argue about rape happening only in India and nowhere else.

Many here are forgetting the fact that it was Indian men who were effervescently protesting in N.Delhi braving police, lathis, climate and what not.
Every single person in this country hate this abhorring crime. Each violent case is like questioning security and self respect of every single Indian.

My contention was about over-projection and hyperventilating that of the case beyond proportion. Using our mistakes as a tool, we should not allow others to mislead or exploit us using foolish failed ideologies with out any substance.

When called up on hypocrisy, that more rape happens in developed and educated countries, game changes. Then, not a single rape must happen in this country, we have to set our values forefront! That is a great idea, but suddenly, how value system of Indians comes out, that we should lead the world, we should be able to be self righteous than everyone? How you can expect that from India, that so called valueless third world sh*thole full of rapist misogynist men (according to those same claimants) ? You have to give respect to get respected, it is a two way street.

Of course, everyone all over the world want rapes to stop, not just Indians. If those developed, educated countries with all amenities, technologies and most efficient justice delivery mechanisms ever falter at this, how can Indians find an immediate cure to this contagion ?

What can Indian Govt. do about violent behavior of random maniacs ?
How can Indian Govt. prevent exploitation by Individuals and false claims, thereby putting innocent Indian men in jail with much clamored quick justice deliverance system ? Because, you know, Indians are a dishonest lot ?
Isn't Indian Govt. creating enough laws and awareness in prevention this heinous violence ? Vote bank appeasement politics have already taken over this topic.
Is there a known, fool proof, quick solution India can use to stop is menace ?

If Indian men are misogynists to their bones and those men in developed countries are 'nice guys' why more rapes happen in developed countries even after they have very high percent of men in jails ?
Why feminists failed to discuss Rotherham and Sheffield scandals ? Both those scandals and goof-ups by UK Govt. are several manifold higher than what India faces. How many Indians have heard of Mark Ciavarella Jnr., who ran his kids-for-cash scam for frigging 28 years? How many Indian channels dedicated air time or bandwidth for those grievous crimes ?
We didn't go around making documentaries over such subjects (heard an Indian just created a documentary about rapes in UK, which does not truly cover the opinions of people in UK and came out as immature revenge job), because people and governments in those countries have their own process to address it. We do not call, address or brand those countries as rape prone or people there as rapists. We or Individuals here will not block citizens from studying, working here because few rapes happened there among millions /billions. Neither do people there talk about their country with disdain, ridicule their values, culture, their way of life.

Conditions being this, why no one is questioning what is the real, root cause of rape (irrespective of countries involved) ? Why it is increasing very lately, especially in India ? If this single topic is studied well, so many skeletons will tumble from unexpected 'closets'.

Considering rape is one of the ultimate form of violence, does advertising that crime 24/7 irrespective of a listeners' mental caliber, help resolving the issue ?

Many of the arguments here against India are childish at the best. People seems to be so young and naive about history. Indians were enslaved not because they were small balkan states. India/ns were enslaved because our country was having lot of resources and were are not as warring a culture than that of our invaders, thus had less experience in waging wars against such countries and cultures. Many of religions originated from our motherland and all of them, in the ultimate, taught peace, not war. May be that was our mistake.

Last edited:
we should not allow
immediate cure
quick solution
listeners' mental caliber
you've lost perspective. :(
We didn't go around making documentaries
Its not about other countries... get it?

We didn't go around making documentaries over such subjects
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kids+for+cash+documentary They already made documentaries. and no body gagged them or banned them.

^^ How many Indians know about all that, (or we didn't make enough of such documentaries that is why we are a stymied lot)? How many Indian channels hyperventilated those documentaries in India ? Do we address or think about people from those countries in that context (Consider the fact that it happened over 28 years, do you think is that part of their history and tradition)?
Yeah, answering like a robot with out taking context in full perspective is going to address all issues.
If you thought your articrafts were mind bending, it came as teeny gimmick at the best.
I found how shallow minded (oh, mental caliber?) are the type of people I am discussing with.

Last edited:
@Prole73 dont bother. the self/India-hate is strong in many here.

sounds like many here havent travelled the world much. when they do & are called a "dirty bastard Indian" or stopped from entering a bar or shouted at to "go home" when they are just walking down a street then they might just not hate India so much & not look at foreigners as some sort of superior being

i'm now understanding why India was colonised for so long & so easily. if anyone objected in the beginning then they must have been told that they didnt know anything & how these white angels have come to save us from our dirty, lowly, backward, cow-worshipping, destined-for-hell-selves

Nope, nothing to do with me. Everything to do with whether i can hold the position from challenges. Your job is to take my position. You do not invalidate what i said by merely disagreeing with it. So lets have your counters. Until such time what i said holds.

cant be bothered

He/she and few others here are always having a gripe against Indians as a whole, always engaged in putting us Indians in bad light.
How to improve in the absence of criticism ? Is is possible to improve when criticism is proscribed.

whether criticism is valid or not is another question but surely encouraging it leads to tangible solutions.

For people who travel outside India multiple times and face foreigners, it sad to hear such ill informed topics and disrespected for being Indian (especially when they are in far bad shape than us on same topic). That German professor who denied Indians visa comes to mind. As it is, we Indians are a third world country, but we enjoy more freedom than people in many countries, but we don't cherish /respect our freedom.
The west knows about rape in India how ? US!

whatever they read about we hear about a day or two earlier. Nirbaya was a tipping point where it was acceptable to report on any rape in the country no matter how outrageous. That is a big change from earlier. This leads people to think rapes in India are increasing ? no idea but reporting of it is certainly more than before.

My problem is they can see this doc but we cant. That is a first. Nobody is defaming us when we are talking about it already. all the others are doing is repeating what we are already saying. So nobody can say that we are not trying to acknowledge the problem. So Govt saying its in the public interest to ban this doc rings hollow, if we are not scared of reporting about these things in all their gory details .

So i don't see anything to feel bad about, i'm least concerned what their perceptions are. nirbaya is already over two years old which is what they will see. Are things still the same or can people show some tangible movements. What matters is we are moving in the right direction. I see more reporting as encouraging people to come forward and putting pressure on the govt to enable prosecution. This is a slow process but the momentum is there now. PM already said in the independence day speech worry more about what your sons are doing than your daughters. We are not dodging or hiding anything.

Go throw this at any foreigner and tell me their response ;)

Last edited:
the self/India-hate is strong in many here.
I dont understand why you assumed that it is self/India hate... Acknowledging the problem is not same as hating.

Let me put it this way... I wanted this documentary not to be banned because I wanted everyone to hear, see, understand what the criminals and their lawyers have in their mind. I wanted more people to watch it and denounce it. acknowledge that this type of mindset is toxic for the society. Now if you think that this is hatred then you are wrong.

Now, what happens when you stop this kind of information? the clear example is North Korea where almost everything is censored. There are some people who are oblivious about things like human rights.
I found how shallow minded (oh, mental caliber?) are the type of people I am discussing with.
Attacking the messenger again... phew! why dont you try explaining instead of calling names?

Last edited:
^^ How many Indians know about all that, (or we didn't make enough of such documentaries that is why we are a stymied lot)? How many Indian channels hyperventilated those documentaries in India ? Do we address or think about people from those countries in that context (Consider the fact that it happened over 28 years, do you think is that part of their history and tradition)?
Yeah, answering like a robot with out taking context in full perspective is going to address all issues.
If you thought your articrafts were mind bending, it came as teeny gimmick at the best.

Why don't you try to understand that this is about us. This is about what we are doing to our women. What happens elsewhere, what everybody else thinks about us is not a matter of concern now. How is hiding a fact of our own society going to hamper the already declining society? Yes, I worry when my girlfriend goes shopping alone. Yes, I worry if my sister goes out alone. Why? Is this not my country, "my motherland". Why are we scared in our own home? You are missing the point. If you were worried of what west will think of India then incidents such as these should not have happened at all. The stats of how many rapes happen in some other country doesn't matter. This is not a competition. There is no need at all to draw a comparison. We need to be high in our own eyes. We should have things to be proud of. And then boast about our culture and tradition. Women empowerment is not about getting them in workplace. Its not about giving them equal pay. It's about the respect they get in society. I was brought up by an independent working women. My mom has brought us up supporting my dad in running the family. And she is an example of a strong woman. Yes I'd want every woman in the country to be that strong. But we need to stop raping and killing them first. Please understand that I am not trying to prove you wrong. You are entitled for your opinion. But it's time we Indians accept the fact that we are not the most prime of the societies in the world. That there is nothing so glorious about our history and culture. We just need to do things right or the history we'll get to hear of in future will be a really dark one.

See my replies below, and note: I am not attacking you in person:

People wit only one agenda are those who want to argue about rape happening only in India and nowhere else.
Why should we Indians argue about rape in foreign lands..? We are discussing India here. I find it normal to see the outside for good practices (freedom of speech, liberty of women), but when we look at our interior nation, we should stop comparing. It is baseless, and makes no sense, whatsoever.

Many here are forgetting the fact that it was Indian men who were effervescently protesting in N.Delhi braving police, lathis, climate and what not.
Every single person in this country hate this abhorring crime.
Were not women in the crowds..? This holds not substance. Yes, everyone hates rape, except the ones exercising it. And those revolts on the streets, were not just about rape. There was way more to it. Rape is the fruit of the seed of India's natural sublimation of women - hood.

Each violent case is like questioning security and self respect of every single Indian.
Is that bad or good..?

My contention was about over-projection and hyperventilating that of the case beyond proportion. Using our mistakes as a tool, we should not allow others to mislead or exploit us using foolish failed ideologies with out any substance.
Okay, what should have happened. We just nod our heads, shrug our shoulders, and say OK. Game over, let us discuss AAP and Modi's cranky speeches..? It is not "foolish failed" ideology to allow women to step out of homes and be independent.

When called up on hypocrisy, that more rape happens in developed and educated countries, game changes.
You know what..? America (or even Sweden), could have 100x more rapes than us. I really do not care. I am just concerned about my National State, India. It hardly matters about the dust in my neighbors house. My home should be clean and riddled free of masculinity and down-trodding of women. That is about it. The game is not changing, we are just shifting venues. Bad.

A single rape happen in this country.
There have been more than that. The N case and the little 6-year girl's case, were superficially highlighted due to metal armaments being introduced in the process. That is harrowing enough, for the world to sit up and notice. It was not only rape what happened. The case was so severe, that we shuttled the victim to SGP. It is literal genocide, what is happening here. Just that we Indians, are shirking it under the rug.

That is a great idea, but suddenly, how value system of Indians comes out, that we should lead the world, we should be able to be self righteous than everyone? How you can expect that from India, that so called valueless third world sh*thole full of rapist misogynist men (according to those same claimants) ?
No, it is not that. No one is asking India, to be the benchmark leader in women rights. Just that we are literally in the minus vector. At least we can bring it up to 0.00. And then attempt through the decades and generations to accumulate more positive points. See the comments the IMF leader made, sitting right in Delhi, about the situation of women.

You have to give respect to get respected, it is a two way street.
Sorry to say, when introspection is conducted the above is a moot logic. India holds decent diplomatic relations and amicable warmth with most nations, barring Pakistan. What more respect should we garner on foreign locales..? You are suggesting they should censor documented data against India, in their media..? Why..? If our journalists / news agencies are not up to the mark and rather hold idiotic debates with Shobha De and Arnab Goswami, then it is our loss at both ends. They gain nothing from this, the foreign powers.

Of course, everyone all over the world want rapes to stop, not just Indians. If those developed, educated countries with all amenities, technologies and most efficient justice delivery mechanisms ever falter at this, how can Indians find an immediate cure to this contagion ?
At times it is said, that we should not exemplify the West, now why are we taking their deltas and mapping them as our short-comings..? The reason behind the contagion is what should be rooted out primarily, the rest will come in line automatically. All those protests encapsulated various other factors, apart from rape. So did the documentary, we are discussing here...!

What can Indian Govt. do about violent behavior of random maniacs ?
Good question...! Expedite the judiciary process for all crime. People know, they can get away with it. That is it. Simple logic.

How can Indian Govt. prevent exploitation by Individuals and false claims, thereby putting innocent Indian men in jail with much clamored quick justice deliverance system ? Because, you know, Indians are a dishonest lot ?
Same as above. I am sure the ratio of rapes (reported and non-reported) to false male acquittals is much in large to the former. If we want to put in a safety valve, the judiciary and cops should do a better job. And they should cease cross questioning the victim in a demeaning manner, like what happened in West Bengal, to that foreigner. That is bad. Clothes, attire, attitude, walking around alone should not be factored in. The judiciary handles rape akin to a doctor diagnosing a virus. Find the factors which could have caused it. Cross question the victim and try to find a chink in the armor. Yes, and before you say it: Rape is almost impossible to prove in court. But asking about someones clothes and marital status, and "why you were outside alone" does not corroborate in favor of the accused, but in India it does. It demeans the women to be of loose character and a slut.

Isn't Indian Govt. creating enough laws and awareness in prevention this heinous violence ? Vote bank appeasement politics have already taken over this topic.
Laws yes, implementation none. Beckoning to media / public pressure, yes. Kangaroo courtroom, yes. The awareness maybe there, but the brevity is zero. Males know, they can do what they want. Battery/assault/verbal abuse is a commonality.

Is there a known, fool proof, quick solution India can use to stop is menace ?
Ya, maybe public flogging. LOL. Of course no crime can be 100% eradicated or prevented. Can we not understand, it is the precursor to rape which is annoying and horrendous. And the logic entertained thereon which is not settling in the corrective manner, to be honest. The whole bundle is packaged around male supremacy and an attitude which throws psychological guilt upon the victim. It is not right. It extrapolates to: males can do anything in India, and get away with it. I have not seen cat-calls, eve teasing, and "crowd-feel up" culture in other nations. It is so "normal" here in India. Why were special compartments made in the Metro.

If Indian men are misogynists to their bones and those men in developed countries are 'nice guys' why more rapes happen in developed countries even after they have very high percent of men in jails ?
Those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt to be honest. It is not about Nation A : Nation B (rape) comparisons which should be inspected. Anyways, a lot of the web articles do list India at least in the top 15-20 nations for rape. They also mention, as rape being one of the most common crimes. That is even worse...! I fail to see all this as propaganda against India.

Why feminists failed to discuss Rotherham and Sheffield scandals ? Both those scandals and goof-ups by UK Govt. are several manifold higher than what India faces. How many Indians have heard of Mark Ciavarella Jnr., who ran his kids-for-cash scam for frigging 28 years? How many Indian channels dedicated air time or bandwidth for those grievous crimes ?
I knew about those scandals. Whose fault is it, if our agencies did not go down there to do a sting operation. It is India's fault. You said it just right...!

We didn't go around making documentaries over such subjects (heard an Indian just created a documentary about rapes in UK, which does not truly cover the opinions of people in UK and came out as immature revenge job), because people and governments in those countries have their own process to address it. We do not call, address or brand those countries as rape prone or people there as rapists. We or Individuals here will not block citizens from studying, working here because few rapes happened there among millions /billions. Neither do people there talk about their country with disdain, ridicule their values, culture, their way of life.
Why did we not call other nations, as Rape countries....? Errrm..because...it is quite normal here for rape to occur...! So we did not cherry pick those nations. Oh, please. The west is the biggest critic of itself. Free speech is immense there, and the resultant PC culture. I see foreigners criticize their government and society, left-right-and-center. Nationalist pride holds no value in today's world, to be honest. Governments should be not trusted de facto, and humanitarian programs should be examined closely.

Conditions being this, why no one is questioning what is the real, root cause of rape (irrespective of countries involved) ?
That documentary sure did. But India banned it. Why...?

Why it is increasing very lately, especially in India ? If this single topic is studied well, so many skeletons will tumble from unexpected 'closets'.
Cause it was hushed up. The N case, was a tipping point, a catharsis, and people came out on the streets. The media / internet created a viral blitzkrieg. Should it not have...?

Considering rape is one of the ultimate form of violence, does advertising that crime 24/7 irrespective of a listeners' mental caliber, help resolving the issue ?
Yes, it will. Nothing more I can say. Should we hush it up..?

Many of the arguments here against India are childish at the best. People seems to be so young and naive about history. Indians were enslaved not because they were small balkan states. India/ns were enslaved because our country was having lot of resources and were are not as warring a culture than that of our invaders, thus had less experience in waging wars against such countries and cultures. Many of religions originated from our motherland and all of them, in the ultimate, taught peace, not war. May be that was our mistake.
Yes, we sat and counted our coins as our backyards were taken by outsiders. :) Indians rarely put up a united front against invaders. The Dharmic religions of India are metaphysical in nature and quite peaceful, I agree. It was due to infighting and non-cohesion India was always breached easily. Indians rarely cared about each other, and that philosophy is still rampant. India is a selfish nation, internally.

What should I say.

Last edited:
Back