Nokia 600, 700, 701, Essence BT headset, Symbian Belle announced

There is a major GPU upgrade in these new Symbian devices.

Dedicated graphics memory is upgraded from 32 MB (N8, E7 etc) to 128 MB. As it's dedicated GPU separated from the main ARM CPU you still need to be aware of some tricks to keep the GPU hungry and not to upload any textures in the main rendering etc.

Graphics memory upgrade will definitely give more space for textures and augmented reality should be much easier now.

Graphics performance is also boosted from 200 MPixels/s to 1000 MPixels/s! As the screen resolution is still the same NHD this will give a lot of per pixel performance for heavy shader effects.

It does not hurt that the CPU is also 1 GHz now and there is 512 MB's of RAM in these devices

Nokia 600/700/701 GPU upgrade! - Nokia Developer Community - Discussions!

Supra said:
^^ Ya its true...but for the enthusiast community who wants to tinker with the custom ROMs. We dont have something as popular as say a CM7 for Symbian :(....thats the only sad part. For apps , they are there....but not as polished.Say for Facebook, its most polished on iphone/Ipad...a bit worse on Android and more worse on Symbian. Problem is Nokia is not in a position to spend huge amount on Apps Community and Development. Google and Apple are blowing 100 millions of $s a quarter w/o any whip on app community !

Still tell me why there in no AF even on a 8MP shooter that is supposed to cost upward of 15k !! And I get an Android Micromax A70 with a decent 5MP AF shooter for just 6k ! Cmon in India apart from Samsung...Nokia is having a big challenge in the low-end market with Micromax and Spice....and again they are happy to just sleep ! I luv Nokia and would like to see them to take the competition heads on. They have a huge engg facility which can easily do that...but as usual they have just woken up from sleep and not started to run yet !

Facebook? Try fMobi on S^3. Better than the Android FB app even. And hey, does iOS even HAVE an FB app yet?

As for eDOF, their reasoning is that it keeps the phone thinner, and aside from macros, they do a decent job anyway.

TechHead said:
Facebook? Try fMobi on S^3. Better than the Android FB app even. And hey, does iOS even HAVE an FB app yet?

As for eDOF, their reasoning is that it keeps the phone thinner, and aside from macros, they do a decent job anyway.

Isnt the Galaxy and the Iphone thinner than any phone Nokia has ever made and still have auto focus camera in them?

But yeah i agree that aside from macros the C7 and C6-01 cameras are pretty decent. But people who take snaps of texts occasionally from book or newspapers willl feel the pinch.

If they had indeed doubled the RAM and quadrupled the dedicated VRAM then thats great for a phone like the Nokia 600 since its likely to end up priced ~11k-12k.

I use my AF mobile cameras to take pics of bills, certificates, etc and keep them safe online.Or suddenly I need to send someone a snap of some newspaper ....its not possible with my Nokia 5230 while any low end android manages to do that. I understand not having AF at arnd 5k ish but at 10k and above AF is must. All their reasoning is just plain BS. They cant seem to get all things right which they need to do now to sustain ! Cmon a proper high-quality 3.2MP AF camera will cost the same as a bling bling 8MP fixed shooter !

If they had indeed doubled the RAM and quadrupled the dedicated VRAM then thats great for a phone like the Nokia 600 since its likely to end up priced ~11k-12k.

Nokia 600 is gonna be priced below 10k even at launch. Expect it to touch 8.5~9k or so within 2~3 months of launch. You can't just multiply with Euro exchange rate for Nokia phones in India. Consider an example of Nokia C2-02 which was launched recently in last week of July or so and told to be 77 Euros and sells for around Rs 3800 in the market. You can get in Letsbuy for Rs 3400 or so :p. So usually the MRP is Euro X Exchange Rate. Street prices arnd 10-15% lower :)

dhruvrock2000 said:
What Agantuk and TechHead said pretty much sums it up. Exactly what kind of apps are you looking for ?? Most of the popular ones are already there on the Ovi Store.
I am talking about our medical apps.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Nokia 701 preview up. Seems like a really good midranger from the Finns. :)

While we weren't wowed by the hardware (well, okay - the screen is pretty impressive), the new Symbian Belle felt almost revolutionary. Maybe if it had come out earlier, it would have helped Symbian cling to its top spot in smartphone platforms.
It's still rough around some edges and lags behind in some areas, but it would be nearly impossible to convince us to go back to the old Symbian (even Anna) now that we've tasted Belle.

Nokia 701 preview: First look - GSMArena.com

The balance of this is excellent contrast ratios - 1470:1 at full brightness and 1818:1 at 50% brightness. Those are very impressive figures, pretty much the best we've seen on a non-AMOLED screen (the E6 comes close too).

The screen brightness helps achieve excellent sunlight legibility too, beating the likes of the SuperAMOLED Plus and the first-gen ClearBlack displays.

:O

Looks like the display is awesome

Quite unfortunate that these phones are not getting the attention that it deserves.

I'm happy that Nokia is providing a lot of vfm. Now fix that camera please.

Sorry for 16999 its a total NO GO !

Nokia 701 at 15k launch price (MRP now is 18999, street price 17k), 700 at 12k, 600 at 9k, 500 at 7k is what would have created some demand at least !

Nokia overpriced it by arnd 10-15% !

Supra said:
Sorry for 16999 its a total NO GO !

Nokia 701 at 15k launch price (MRP now is 18999, street price 17k), 700 at 12k, 600 at 9k, 500 at 7k is what would have created some demand at least !

Nokia overpriced it by arnd 10-15% !

This would be a lesson to Nokia, I am happy that Nokia prices it really high, now they will get a taste of what they are really worth of!

They just cannot have an outdated OS [though Belle is the best symbian has got, it is no way near Android or iOS] and peg the product with the top of the line products.

MaRKiV said:
This would be a lesson to Nokia, I am happy that Nokia prices it really high, now they will get a taste of what they are really worth of!

They just cannot have an outdated OS [though Belle is the best symbian has got, it is no way near Android or iOS] and peg the product with the top of the line products.

The extra price comes with extra features like pentaband 3G, AMOLED or IPS CBD displays, excellent worldwide offline navigation with fast GPS locks, USB OTG, comprehensive OOTB video codec support + very good Sound Quality, excellent build quality, excellent 720p video recording, good battery life etc....I can go on...
The only major disadvantages I see right now are resolution restricted to nHD, average default browser, EDoF camera (though its very good in normal daylight sans macros). Most of the major apps and many good games are available in Nokia Store. So it's not "outdated" ;)

Remember the simple fact - different people have different needs!

RVK2488 said:
The extra price comes with extra features like pentaband 3G, AMOLED or IPS CBD displays, excellent worldwide offline navigation with fast GPS locks, USB OTG, comprehensive OOTB video codec support + very good Sound Quality, excellent build quality, excellent 720p video recording, good battery life etc....I can go on...

The only major disadvantages I see right now are resolution restricted to nHD, average default browser, EDoF camera (though its very good in normal daylight sans macros). Most of the major apps and many good games are available in Nokia Store. So it's not "outdated" ;)

Remember the simple fact - different people have different needs!

I do agree with nokia's reliability & offline navigation are the best, but I cannot agree with all the others as advantages, when any other manufacturer have the same specs or can be achieved through available apps, how come these are advantages? its an advantage only if a product has it but others does not.

Though requirements and needs vary, this device doesnt warrant a 17K price tag!

The only major disadvantages I see right now are resolution restricted to nHD, average default browser, EDoF camera (though its very good in normal daylight sans macros). Most of the major apps and many good games are available in Nokia Store. So it's not "outdated"

I luv Nokia for all the above points...but price it at 15k launch price and arnd 14k street price....it would have been what adrenaline shot that they need in the market ! Still I hope as like all Nokia this will drop to 14k after coupons/deals within a month anyway...the point at which it becomes a good deal :)

Nokia 600 at 8.5k street/online price is what we all are looking for :p

MaRKiV said:
I do agree with nokia's reliability & offline navigation are the best, but I cannot agree with all the others as advantages, when any other manufacturer have the same specs or can be achieved through available apps, how come these are advantages? its an advantage only if a product has it but others does not.

Though requirements and needs vary, this device doesnt warrant a 17K price tag!

Great! So could you please name 1 non-Nokia phone within 17k which has ALL the other extra (read unique for the price category) features? Let me write it down again this time -

1. Free worldwide turn by turn voice guided navigation (lets not count this one since you already agree with it)

2. Pentaband 3G

3. USB OTG

4. FM Transmitter

5. NFC

6. ClearBlack Display

I am not saying Nokia should keep the 17k price :p I would be equally happy if they price it more aggressively. Anyways it's not like Symbian enjoys a great mind share currently. But blindly stating that its outdated or not competitive compared to android or iOS is simply being ignorant.

Supra said:
I luv Nokia for all the above points...but price it at 15k launch price and arnd 14k street price....it would have been what adrenaline shot that they need in the market ! Still I hope as like all Nokia this will drop to 14k after coupons/deals within a month anyway...the point at which it becomes a good deal :)

Nokia 600 at 8.5k street/online price is what we all are looking for :p

Completely agree on the highlighted part

Pentaband 3G -> Not a game winner! (only if you are a frequent visitor to US & EU), yes it does have enhanced data rates, but with pathetic 3G network speeds, its of no use.

USB OTG -> Agreed!

FM Transmitter -> Not a game winner!

NFC -> Not at all a game winner in the current scenario!

ClearBlack Display -> Not at all better than SAMOLED

so, where does this leave Nokia 701? no better than a 15K android

And whats the use of having a 8MP camera with FF? Seriously I dont understand! someone from nokia must explain! :p

MaRKiV said:
And whats the use of having a 8MP camera with FF? Seriously I dont understand! someone from nokia must explain! :p

Couldn't agree more! Instead of 8Mp EDoF, even a good 5Mp AF would have done the job well :mad:

EDoF should be strictly limited to sub-10k phones

Back