Nokia E7 Pre Orders Begin

^^ lol They seem to hae taken of that page :)

Surprised to see that last week Nokia published a full page Advt in TOI pricing E7 at 34999/- and y'day I saw their site mentioning it at Rs29999 ...
Seems that Pre-order has not generated any response for them and they made a big popat of themselves by pricing it insanely high...

Well i did tell you that the price was coming down ;)

The initial price was always tentative and you were only expected to pay 3000 at the pre order... At 28-29k , the phone is actually pretty good. The hardware quality has to be seen to be believed.

^^ Its up now :)

Hi Dhruv: Hope U are recovering soon ....

How wud you rate the E7 battery? Coz the same battery is used in N8 and does just fine. Not tooo good but not at all bad.
I agree that the 12MP cam and flash takes a lot of battery power which wud not be the case in E7 but thats only when U use the cam freq.
I think the bigger screen will surely result in draining the battery sooner than in N8.
Too early to comment but I feel they cud have done a better job with the battery...

onlyravi said:
^^ Its up now :)

Hi Dhruv: Hope U are recovering soon ....

How wud you rate the E7 battery? Coz the same battery is used in N8 and does just fine. Not tooo good but not at all bad.

I agree that the 12MP cam and flash takes a lot of battery power which wud not be the case in E7 but thats only when U use the cam freq.

I think the bigger screen will surely result in draining the battery sooner than in N8.

Too early to comment but I feel they cud have done a better job with the battery...
Battery is almost as good or maybe even as good as the N8. The CBD display panel consumes lesser power than the N8's AMOLED which compensates for the larger size.

The camera though EDOF , takes great pics tbh as long as you are not counting on a macro mode. The hardware quality too is brilliant. It is built like a friggin tank :p

dhruvrock2000 said:
Really ? How so ? It is quite irritating to see people pass this statement and not have any reasoning behind it :|
Reason is that Nokia is phasing out Symbian. There will be significant cut in R&D budget. Despite them saying in public about selling another 150M phones, focus will be on the low end rather than high end. Plus we will always be waiting for next great firmware update(now its PR 3.0) to make it a good UI experience phone.

Rate at which Android platform is expanding and quality of hardware that is coming out Nokia cannot compete. Regarding dual core, we will start seeing Android(and other mobile OS) go multithreaded and process tasks faster(and idle for longer time to save on battery).

For normal day to day usage nothing is really wrong with symbian.It is stable enough,power management is superb so is the multimedia capabilities.If the price of E7 comes down to around 24k,it will be a GREAT buy.

What I do not understand or do not know probably is why did Nokia give up on Symbian? Instead of going for Windows they could have made Symbian itself better, or maybe I dont know certain things.
Can anybody enlighten me?

trivik12 said:
Reason is that Nokia is phasing out Symbian. There will be significant cut in R&D budget. Despite them saying in public about selling another 150M phones, focus will be on the low end rather than high end. Plus we will always be waiting for next great firmware update(now its PR 3.0) to make it a good UI experience phone.

Rate at which Android platform is expanding and quality of hardware that is coming out Nokia cannot compete. Regarding dual core, we will start seeing Android(and other mobile OS) go multithreaded and process tasks faster(and idle for longer time to save on battery).

And how do you know that ? The phase out plan is over 2 years dude... by that time whatever Android device you buy now WILL be outdated. PR 3.0 will bring a great UI overhaul. PR 2.0 brings split screen input , better browser. Whats missing then ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Mephistopheles said:
What I do not understand or do not know probably is why did Nokia give up on Symbian? Instead of going for Windows they could have made Symbian itself better, or maybe I dont know certain things.

Can anybody enlighten me?
Symbian is not going anywhere.. not for the time being atleast. Any and all existing S^3 devices will continue to get updates and will be getting a complete UI overhaul later this year.

trivik12 said:

Hey friend any source that proves Nokia is going to isolate Sym in next few months or they will never support the Sym devices bought now??
They are definately planning to phase out but that too after 2013 not early. All devices U buy today will anyways be outdated by then(all most all).
I agree that Sym has tough competition from Andy but who knows Nokia can find a way to make their new Nokia+Windows OS backward compatible to work on Sym^3 devices. or maybe something even better which we cant even think of right now :)
Also if they are still releasing new devices means they are interested in Symbian and Sym products.

Even Apple's signature IPhone was not built in one revision. There were many bugs / pitfalls and drawbacks and hardware redesigns and they came up better and better with every release.
Similiarly Nokia will definately come up with some thing ""MUCH"" better than what market offers today(read Android, Apple and all others).
And just to add not all companies rolling out Android are happy with Google's policies and control over Android. Its only that as Android is helping sales they are adapting it since it saves then a hell lot of RnD cost which these companies cant just afford.

Nokia understands the best that selling a phone with dying tech will never make them profits... so they wud not sell such devices in the first place. Well if they are still selling it like hot cakes means they know very well what they are doing and even people understand what they are buying ...

Symbian rocks and will rock till its here....

onlyravi said:
Hey friend any source that proves Nokia is going to isolate Sym in next few months or they will never support the Sym devices bought now??

They are definately planning to phase out but that too after 2013 not early. All devices U buy today will anyways be outdated by then(all most all).

I agree that Sym has tough competition from Andy but who knows Nokia can find a way to make their new Nokia+Windows OS backward compatible to work on Sym^3 devices. or maybe something even better which we cant even think of right now :)

Also if they are still releasing new devices means they are interested in Symbian and Sym products.

Even Apple's signature IPhone was not built in one revision. There were many bugs / pitfalls and drawbacks and hardware redesigns and they came up better and better with every release.

Similiarly Nokia will definately come up with some thing ""MUCH"" better than what market offers today(read Android, Apple and all others).

And just to add not all companies rolling out Android are happy with Google's policies and control over Android. Its only that as Android is helping sales they are adapting it since it saves then a hell lot of RnD cost which these companies cant just afford.

Nokia understands the best that selling a phone with dying tech will never make them profits... so they wud not sell such devices in the first place. Well if they are still selling it like hot cakes means they know very well what they are doing and even people understand what they are buying ...

Symbian rocks and will rock till its here....
This is confidence in a company after seeing it not improving its UI after 4 years of innovation from iOS and Android. Nokia still has better hardware @ various price points in comparison to Android/iOS but the focus has shifted from only hardware to the whole Ecosystem (words of Nokia CEO ;))

And its CEO acknowledging da fact that the company is like a burning ship and collaborating with MS to save the burning ship by NOT SUPPORTING SYMBIAN/MEEGO.

You can LOVE SYMBIAN, and thats your personal opinion. But you are expecting Windows OS to be backward compatible with a Symbian device and still state in CAPS - SYMBIAN ROCKS. Please take one stand.

^^ Well I have always like Symbian for its power that it gives to the user. Right from my Ngage days till today with my N8.
I dont want to compare it with other OS point by point and I know its too much of to expect from MS to be backward compatible.
But I would definately love to see if Nokia does some magic to the Windows OS and makes it available to devices running on Symbian today.
If MS had the guts to come up with a revolutionary Phone OS they wud not tie up with Nokia. So they both need each other.
Nokia: To regain it's lost market share,
MS: To establish it self in the mobile world also just like the desktop OS world.

Again all these are my personal opinions and I would enjoy my Symbian hardware as long as I can rather than bothering what will happen to it after two years :)
I dont mind ppl voicing their opinion. The only thing is we shd not mislead / start bothering people with things they never want to get into.
As in max customers never go by the OS a phone has. All they want is features like cam, screen, battery, camera, memory and style.

So guys just stop thinking of where Symbian will end up after 2 years and enjoy it today....
And those who are using Symbian for a long long time will really appreciate the changes that Nokia pushes through every new updates. They never did changes and improvements to a released OS on this magnitude before... I m loving it...

^^ Nice reply :thumbs up:

onlyravi said:
As in max customers never go by the OS a phone has. All they want is features like cam, screen, battery, camera, memory and style.

totally true for majority of the people.

Why nokia why ? Still the same screen resolution? , their 6k 5233 and 30k e7 both have the same screen resolution. Plus for people who can live with a slightly smaller screen and absence of a keyboard , the c7 offers so much more VFM.

Back