WP Nokia Lumia 720 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there..I have ordered Lumia 720 today and eagerly waiting for its arrival. :)

I have few questions, mostly for already proud Lumia 720 owners :woot:

1) What color device did u pick and why(other than the simple fact of liking the color)? I chose white as i liked the color even though i wished it came in matte finish in the back.

2) Since screen sports gorilla glass 2 tech, i feel that installing a screen protector is not required. Please lemme know if i am wrong here or if you agree

3) Since the build is good, is there a need for a case? Is the smooth finish on the back of the white model, easily prone to scratches? Are the matte back versions(black, cyan etc) less prone to scratches?

4) Some users are reporting mic related issues(party at other end of the call being unable to hear properly, mic working only in a specific holding position), phone freezing and screen irresponsive. Did u face any of those?

1 Blue. Go Team India. :p
2 I put a cover in there anyway. GG makes it more resitant. It doesnt make it scratch proof. I like keeping the screen pristant. But I had it without a screen protector for a couple of weeks and it didnt seem like there had been any scratches.
3 Build quality is solid but I put a silicon case on it anyway. I am a bit clumsy and the phone seems to be made of talcom powder and graphite. Not kidding, its slippery as hell. The cover is more for better grip than actual protection. :p
4 No mic issues but a month after I got it the touch screen completely crapped out. It either wont respond at all or goes insane and starts opening everything and flipping all around as if I am touching it constantly. It rendered the phone totally useless. So, its with Nokia service center (who say it will take over 10 days to fix it) since the past week. And since it used Micro Sim I cant use the Sim card till its back. :(

Also FWIW phone completely locked up on me twice while I had it but it automatically resolved itself. Didnt think it was a big deal.

Caveat Emptor

1 Blue. Go Team India. :p
2 I put a cover in there anyway. GG makes it more resitant. It doesnt make it scratch proof. I like keeping the screen pristant. But I had it without a screen protector for a couple of weeks and it didnt seem like there had been any scratches.
3 Build quality is solid but I put a silicon case on it anyway. I am a bit clumsy and the phone seems to be made of talcom powder and graphite. Not kidding, its slippery as hell. The cover is more for better grip than actual protection. :p
4 No mic issues but a month after I got it the touch screen completely crapped out. It either wont respond at all or goes insane and starts opening everything and flipping all around as if I am touching it constantly. It rendered the phone totally useless. So, its with Nokia service center (who say it will take over 10 days to fix it) since the past week. And since it used Micro Sim I cant use the Sim card till its back. :(

Also FWIW phone completely locked up on me twice while I had it but it automatically resolved itself. Didnt think it was a big deal.

Caveat Emptor

Go to your service provider and request a proper size sim card. Use it with some standby phone till your lumia gets back, then cut it back to micro size when your lumia is repaired! Vodafone does this for 25Rs :)

Already got the phone back yesterday. :p

Service was ok. The first time I gave them the phone they gave it back as it is without doing shit with it. Second time they actually sent it to who knows where and it was finally repaired. Took about 7 days. Not great but not bad either. Considering the horror stories I had heard from my friend about Sony's services for their phones, this was pretty painless.

Anyway, overall I have had the phone for like 2 months now. All things considered I am ok with it. Was thinking of doing a quick review about it but I figure its kinda late for that. :p

This phone is quite attractive and supposed to be very good for taking photos with its Carl Zeiss lens. They even mention the aperture size in reviews. Never heard any mention of aperture of cameras in android phones.

The GUI seems to be better as well with the tiles as its easy to hit them compared to the tiny icons on andorid phones.

The only downside is it does not play well with phones of other operating systems so sharing stuff is tricky.

Very tempting phone because of camera, battery & build.

Why did they leave out the 5Ghz on this one, the 620/820/920 have them. There is also no wifi-direct which is default on samsung smart phones so how do you guys share stuff.

Otherwise hardware wise for the price its very good.

Now about the software.....expect office integration is good. I notice that the android people say the same thing what the apple people used to (still) say about android. Not much apps. This means its only a matter of time before WP catches up.

Did i read somebody say you can use the map without a data connection ? So is it using A-GPS (triangulation) or something.

Yep! As long as you have the map of the state downloaded on the device, you can use it offline. It uses GPS and shows your location with speed, distance to nearest checkpoint, road etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back