Nokia Lumia 800 - Heavy Pricing ?

sunzeal

Disciple
Well, i just saw the price of Nokia Lumina 800 and it was 29,000 and i was shocked because of such a high price.

Comparison of Lumina 800 with S2.
Lumina : Single Core 1.4Ghz Processor
S2 : Dual Core 1.2Ghz Processor

Lumina : 512 MB RAM
S2 : 1GB RAM

Lumina : 29,000/-
S2 : 27,000/-

Other than that, Lumina doesn't have memory card slot and stuff which i am not counting in the comparison.

Do you think you will buy a heavily priced Lumina or an already established better featured Galaxy S2 in Android Platform ??

Re: Nokia Lumina 800 - Heavy Pricing ?

was very eager to go for the 800 eventhough not interested in the Windows OS but when I heard it will be 27k+, I dropped that idea.. good that i dropped that idea and got the 2x for 18k as this pricing is insane..29k

The point is, it doesnt matter if a phone is dual core or single core. Trust me when I say that the WP7 devices are insanely smooth & buttery to interact with. Even more than iOS. Android is a whole level lower when it comes to smoothness. Even the S2 lags/hitches here and there sometimes. This is just something you have to live with on Android. Personally I would take the customization of android over ios & wp7 any day but I am a power user & so are 90% of the android crowd. For normal use wp7 is a much fluid experience than either of the rival platforms. Having said that, Nokia seems to have taken a cue from The Fruit Vendor & over-priced its latest & greatest. Still a lot of people will buy the phone in India as most of the non-techy crowd in India swears by Nokia. Although I must admit the Lumia-800 is a sweet looking phone.

I got to play with the Lumia 800 for 15 minutes, and the phone is gorgeous. This is the first time I have used Windows Phone 7.5 and I have to say the Metro UI is incredible. Everything is just so logical, clean and just plain fun to use. Even after 15 minutes going back to Android 2.3 or iOS seems clunky and archaic. I am normally a very rational and logical buyer when it comes to technology, but I must admit this is the first gadget I have ever used that I had somewhat of an emotional reaction towards.

Thinking rationally, there's no way I would choose the Lumia over S2 given the price. But.... it is just so beautiful! Both the hardware and the OS. It's kind of like comparing a Nissan GTR to an Aston Martin. One is superior than the other, but...

Either way, I am very excited about future Lumia products and also how Windows Phone 8 might integrate with Windows 8, Kinect and Xbox.

devvfata1ity said:
The point is, it doesnt matter if a phone is dual core or single core. Trust me when I say that the WP7 devices are insanely smooth & buttery to interact with. Even more than iOS. Android is a whole level lower when it comes to smoothness.

Exactly. It was very smooth, the interface is pitch perfect and the overall interactive experience was far more refined than that of iOS or Android. That said, for performance intensive apps (like gaming, maybe?) I can see how the dual core could come into its own. But I have this feeling Nokia is targeting Lumia 800 towards business professionals who just want a quick, refined, intuitive and enjoyable phone - people who use it for stuff like ermm... phone calls, messaging, internet, scheduling, social networking, etc. And for this market segment, Nokia has hit the nail squarely on the head. For power users, Android + dual core is definitely a much more powerful platform.

well, if you see in terms of speeds, it does matter between a single core and dual core.

If you have lot of apps open the processor speed and the RAM does comes into consideration.

Lumina is selling for 29k even with single core and 512 MB RAM, but you wouldn't know if it would work good if you download lot of apps and how it will work when their are lot of background applications running.

I have used S2, it has surely dual core and 1GB and it works so perfect even if their are tons of apps running in the background, that what matters.

Even i had my plans to buy Lumina, but i think i would better go to well proven Android platform and S2.

sunzeal said:
well, if you see in terms of speeds, it does matter between a single core and dual core.

If you have lot of apps open the processor speed and the RAM does comes into consideration.

Lumina is selling for 29k even with single core and 512 MB RAM, but you wouldn't know if it would work good if you download lot of apps and how it will work when their are lot of background applications running.
It would work as fast as it always did even with 50 apps installed and 10 of them running at the same time. Thats the power of Windows Phone 7. Single Core or RAM doesn't matter. Don't bother going to hardware specs when you're talking about Windows Phone 7 as it is really well optimized to work smooth on that existing hardware. The only place the lack of speed and ram would be in the browser, as in pages would load slower compared to -say a S2 for obvious reasons.

Anyways I agree the Lumia is overpriced, Nokia seems to be heading for an E7ish disaster with the prices again. It would make better sense to buy the Omnia W instead for 19k at this rate.

Thats true If you are comparing phones based on the same OS. For ex Galaxy S2 vs Defy

We can't really compare WP7 , android , iOS based on processor / RAM as the way each OS utilises it vastly varies.

To me personally WP7 looks like a Media Centre UI , something that can be part of an OS but not the basic way of interacting with OS.

I surely miss WM 6.1/6.5 with all it flaws but still a geek's delight..

If you guys want good Win 7.5 Mango Experience, go for Lumia 710 instead.. It costs 10K less than Lumia 800..

But, if you are aiming for the best, wait for the next Nokia Lumia 900(or whatever) that is presently in rumor mill....

Personally, i feel that Win Phones are very smooth and light.. Being an android User, I never liked it much.

My dad has an Asus M10 and the UI and speed are just too good. It lasts about 2-3 days on a single charge, so better than any android phone..

Looking forward to buying a Win Phone Mango device for a change.. :)

Can we stop with the dual core - single core comparisons ? Having a set hardware chassis works in Microsoft's favor.. Hell an year old single core iPhone 4 can beat almost any Android phone when it comes to interface smoothness..

WP7 is an extremely refined experience , it absolutely does NOT need a dual core processor ! Coming to the price point , i agree it is a bit overpriced but if the Lets Buy price of about 26.5k is correct.. it'll be a hands down recommendation from my side.

WP7 and Android do not target the same audience , you crave for customization .. you go with Android , you want usability and an extremely beautiful integrated experience, go with WP7.

Speaking about the Lumia 800 , you're paying for the hardware quality. Its an absolutely stunning device.. it has its follies but the HW is goddamn gorgeous !! No comparison at all from the Android camp and this is coming from a person who has used almost every Android handset out in the market right now and then more.

Ok, we always talked and treated itunes as a piece if sh#t, why is no one talking about the super crappy zune software in lumia thread?

It is heavily dependent on this cr@pware.

Sent from Galaxy S2

dhruvrock2000 said:
Can we stop with the dual core - single core comparisons ? Having a set hardware chassis works in Microsoft's favor.. Hell an year old single core iPhone 4 can beat almost any Android phone when it comes to interface smoothness..

Speaking about the Lumia 800 , you're paying for the hardware quality. Its an absolutely stunning device.. it has its follies but the HW is goddamn gorgeous !! No comparison at all from the Android camp and this is coming from a person who has used almost every Android handset out in the market right now and then more.
1.Almost all android phones which are priced near the ip4 has extremely smooth interface(even the sgs2, which is still cheaper than ip4 is buttery smooth)

2.afaik HW is not about a great chassis only, it also includes whatever is there under the hood.

Though I agree completely, wp7 does not need dual cores.

3.Finally, pricing from Nokia for Lumia 800 is simply ridiculous!!

They just can not charge a premium for their brand name, at least for now.

Sent from Galaxy S2

^^ I have nothing against Android devices , love their flexibility tbh.. BUT find me an Android phone in India which comes even close to the iPhone or Lumia 800 in build quality and looks , i'll give you a 1000 bucks :) I agree the price is slightly high but not as much as you're making it out to be ! Lets buy is selling it for Rs. 26,500 and that is an excellent price for it !

"afaik HW is not about a great chassis only, it also includes whatever is there under the hood.

Though I agree completely, wp7 does not need dual cores."

"Almost all android phones which are priced near the ip4 has extremely smooth interface(even the sgs2, which is still cheaper than ip4 is buttery smooth) "

^^ Find that extremely hard to believe.. Even the SGS2 << amazing that it was >> had a hint of lag.

^^ You just contradicted your own point.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

red dragon said:
Ok, we always talked and treated itunes as a piece if sh#t, why is no one talking about the super crappy zune software in lumia thread?

It is heavily dependent on this cr@pware.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Agreed , i would definitely love to see mass storage mode on WP7 << a registry hack already enables it >> BUT Zune is not even half as bad as iTunes on my PC... Give it a shot , its the most beautiful music player around :)

Have you seen a broken gs or gs2,despite the filmsy back cover?

I hate htc droids, but they are really well built.

Sent from Galaxy S2

dhruvrock2000 said:
Give it a shot , its the most beautiful music player around :)

Absolutely, Zune's Metro UI is quite breathtaking. In many ways, it is revolutionary for a desktop music player.

@dhruv

Do the new Lumia range come with free 1 year Nokia music subscription?
If yes,Then I think it will be great for DRM free tracks ...

aka911 said:
@dhruv

Do the new Lumia range come with free 1 year Nokia music subscription?

If yes,Then I think it will be great for DRM free tracks ...

You've got a PM

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

red dragon said:
Have you seen a broken gs or gs2,despite the filmsy back cover?

I hate htc droids, but they are really well built.

Sent from Galaxy S2

yes i have , actually broke the battery cover of my own SGS :/

Back