Nokia's VP says better hardware without apps isn't enough for sales

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Recently, Nokia published its third quarter results which showed record 7.4 million sales of Lumia handsets, up from 5.6 million in the previous quarter. These figures are good, but much lesser than other brands like Samsung and Apple who shipped over 70 million and 30 million smartphones in the same period.

Nokia is doing its best to push its Lumia smartphones against the iOS and Android platforms, but just having better smartphones and hardware isn't enough.

Nokia's VP Bryan Biniak spoke to IBTimes on friday and said,

"To give you a reason to switch, I need to make sure the apps that you care about on your device are not only on our phones, but are better. I also need to provide you unique experiences that you can't get on your other devices."

In the end he added that lack of apps causes missed sales and this needs to change for improving the sales.

"We are releasing new devices frequently and for every new device, if there is an app that somebody cares about that's not there that's a missed opportunity of a sale."

"People rely on applications for their day-to-day life and if you don't have something which I use in my day-to-day life I'm not going to switch [operating systems] because I don't want to compromise the way I live my life just to switch to a phone."

"It's not just about the hardware, it's about the tools that are on the hardware. You can't sell a phone without the apps, you just can't."

Though the Window Phone platform has evolved a lot and now has over 165,000 apps available, it is much behind the number of apps available in iOS store which has over 900,000 apps and Android which has even crossed 1 million apps. Nokia thinks it is up to Microsoft for evolving the Windows Phone OS before it is too late.

Source

I am glad they are coming up. Specially in the lower mid tier. Android sucks. iOS doesnt exist at that price point. Someone needs to fill the void. Might as well be nokia. Sure as hell aint going to be BB.

Android- premium power users (We all know you need a spec beast for android)
iOS- Premium non power users (Muh, apple, need I say more? The prices arent going to drop)
WP - Mid tier (Like I said WP runs pretty smooth on frugal hardware)
BB - Enterprise (Their only strong suit left. BB's playbook backstabbing is a stark reminder of their abject failure towards their loyal users.)

So go on nokia, focus on your strengths. Not everyone needs a zillion core, mega super 10" screen. Make a profit and then scale it up.

Wish i could move the clock two years forward and then i'd be able to get a Nokia.

Until such time i will find a case to make my Android look like a Lumia.

I am glad they are coming up. Specially in the lower mid tier. Android sucks. iOS doesnt exist at that price point. Someone needs to fill the void. Might as well be nokia. Sure as hell aint going to be BB.

Android- premium power users (We all know you need a spec beast for android)
iOS- Premium non power users (Muh, apple, need I say more? The prices arent going to drop)
WP - Mid tier (Like I said WP runs pretty smooth on frugal hardware)
BB - Enterprise (Their only strong suit left. BB's playbook backstabbing is a stark reminder of their abject failure towards their loyal users.)

So go on nokia, focus on your strengths. Not everyone needs a zillion core, mega super 10" screen. Make a profit and then scale it up.
Frugal hardware ? Give me a break, Android will run just fine on dual core Krait processor and an Adreno 305 chipset. (Which the cheapest Lumia 520 has). Perhaps 1 GB ram is a minimum for Android but my phone has an older gen S3 dual processor and with the latest CM 10 the phone is butter smooth with no real lag.

^Its really not true, though it may run smooth initially, Android slows down quite a lot with time. Look at the number of posts on people complaining of same thing on twice powerful Galaxy S3 thread here.

Android strength is tweak it with tinkering (CM and custom ROMS) while WP strength is out of the box experience (just like iOS) . The latter suits majority of crowd.

yeah Android runs great on similar hardware ( currently trying an Xperia L with same processor as lumia 520 ) and its very fast. But it is true that same configurations in Android are much costiler.

^How much does an andriod phone with that hardware cost?

Brendon has a Pantech Burst. I dont know of phones powered by krait and Adreno 305 - though I am sure there are some.[DOUBLEPOST=1375039866][/DOUBLEPOST]Just like the 1020 - Great hardware with a half baked OS. They were talking about 41 reasons to get one - I just have one reason not to get one - The OS.

I have not seen Android slowing over time - at least not on ROMs like Cm10. Stock - yes.

Frugal hardware ? Give me a break, Android will run just fine on dual core Krait processor and an Adreno 305 chipset. (Which the cheapest Lumia 520 has). Perhaps 1 GB ram is a minimum for Android but my phone has an older gen S3 dual processor and with the latest CM 10 the phone is butter smooth with no real lag.

The problem for a company is that 95% of the buyers would not be interested in modding and optimizing their ROM. And that is exactly where they will lose market share.

Remember, you and I are MOST def not the ideal clients these companies are going after. Considering that, yes, with a stock rom, android would slow down with that kind of specs. If not right out of the box, most def after a few weeks of usage.

I have not seen Android slowing over time - at least not on ROMs like Cm10. Stock - yes.

The number of users who may want to or would actually put custom ROMs etc on their phones is very very miniscule compared to the larger population who does not even know what a custom ROM is. These are the main markets for the companies and it is important for them to make it work perfectly fine (not slowing later and such) for such users.

I'm on stock ics from Jan or Feb and I haven't seen any lag on my phone till now. I'm using an app now to reduce processor speed from default 1.5ghz to around 850 MHz from past three months and still don't see lag in day to day tasks like internet browsing, transferring files over wifi, listening to music or watching some video.

Just because Samsung or other company does some modification to the stock os on phones and introduces lag does not mean Android is laggy. Stock os does not lag. My phone is almost a year old and I have yet to see any lag in it.

Just because Samsung or other company does some modification to the stock os on phones and introduces lag does not mean Android is laggy. Stock os does not lag. My phone is almost a year old and I have yet to see any lag in it.

Right. But to the end user, this is not his concern, he probably does not even know how android OS gets into the phone (google -> samsung etc -> put bloat -> install on handsets -> ship them).

Dont worry when Windows really starts to compete, am a billion percent sure Google will come out with improvements that would nullify all the advantages of Windows over Android that time.
Look at project butter, people were raving about fluidity in iOS and buying iphones for the very reason, but with project butter those lags in android UI are almost nil by android 4.2 and 4.3 .

^^ Look I am not so hot on WP8 right now but why would anyone wish for WP8 to fail ??? :eek:

Its a competing OS to Android and iOS and IMO competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

Since Nokia has dual core phones at sub 10k levels I am sure other manufacturers will be forced to pull up their socks and offer Android based phones with dual cores at that level.

The problem for a company is that 95% of the buyers would not be interested in modding and optimizing their ROM. And that is exactly where they will lose market share.

Remember, you and I are MOST def not the ideal clients these companies are going after. Considering that, yes, with a stock rom, android would slow down with that kind of specs. If not right out of the box, most def after a few weeks of usage.

Where did you pull out that 95% statistic from ? :p

Android is getting smoother and smother with later OS iterations and 4.2 is already pretty smooth.

Android is getting smoother and smother with later OS iterations and 4.2 is already pretty smooth.

I think he probably meant that maximum number of people are not into customization. That i too believe is correct.

something called common sense :p

And considering the number of phones sold, you do not see even a fair fraction of posts on xda threads about modding. Kinda obvious isn't it?[DOUBLEPOST=1375084390][/DOUBLEPOST]and check google, there are 5 million people searching for "Samsung galaxy s4" while less than 1000 for "galaxy s4 custom rom" or modding or anything related.

If anything, I believe even 95% is too optimistic.

Back