Olympics Paris 2024

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Nadal vs Djokovic going on at the Olympics... perhaps the last time the two legends face each other! Historic event...

If anyone wants to watch it's being streamed on JioCinema > Sports > Tennis.

Interesting developments from the Paris Olympics.

Manu Bhaker has secured 2 Bronze Medals and could possibly win her 3rd as well. She is just 22. The govt has spent more than 2 Crore only/- on her training by now. Her coach Samaresh Jung's house is being demolished in a day.

1. Manu Bhaker Aims To Create History & Become 1st Indian to win three Olympic medals

https://www.news18.com/olympics/manu-bhaker-aims-to-create-history-become-1st-indian-to-8988498.html

2. Manu Bhaker's coach Samaresh Jung gets 'house demolition' notice after returning from Paris Olympics

https://www.businesstoday.in/india/...turning-from-paris-olympics-439957-2024-08-02

3. Govt spent Rs 2 crore on Manu Bhaker's training: Sports Minister Mandaviya

https://www.business-standard.com/s...sports-minister-mandaviya-124072900729_1.html

4. Manu Bhaker: Chased by 40 brands for endorsements, fee swells from Rs 20 lakh to crores after Olympic med

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...pic-medals-in-paris/articleshow/112212236.cms

Sindhu lost, shame. India's performance at the Olympics is as per the usual anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803-110511.png
    Screenshot_20240803-110511.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 47
Just saying. This new thread has been created from a 4 months old thread I had created aiming to avoid having multiple sports related threads scattered around the forum. I thought that sort of organization is necessary here since this is not a forum dedicated to sports. We definitely can't have new threads for every event because 1) This forum is not for sports, 2) All new threads will be orphaned with 3-4 replies max.

I am confused why this was done, not that I have any right to seek any explanation from the mods.

India's performance at the Olympics is as per the usual anyway.
We need to produce and send more athletes first.

Last edited:
We definitely can't have new threads for every event because 1) This forum is not for sports,

There's no such rule for the general section, we've had separate threads for different tournaments and events in the past.
It's fine since the Olympics comes once in 4 years (2 years this time around) and warrants its own thread.

P.S. I hope Lakshya Sen wins gold.

Manu Bhaker just missed another medal by a whisker! One shot made the difference. Could have been another Bronze or a Silver even!

To be honest, this thread doesn't serve much purpose if it is to just regurgitate the results.

I could just say, that was a great hockey win against GB with 10-men or too bad Lakshya Sen choked in the first game or else the outcome may have been different against Axelsen.

What I do hate is how little support sportpeople receive in India outside of Cricket and for Jio to hype up overall disappointing performances every day to display more ads or for Ambani to use it to yet again to whitewash their image, without actually making a difference at grassroots.

Last edited:
To be honest, this thread doesn't serve much purpose if it is to just regurgitate the results.
Let's make it interesting then. Lot of controversy over one Algerian boxer. All started when two matches back an Italian complained she'd never been hit so hard before. She just quit the bout and conceded right there

Former champ doesn't have a problem.

.. because she beat this Algerian two years ago

Watch the match and its clear why she won by the end of the first round.

Damn it! just as I finished watching highlights of her earlier fights :banghead:

Vinesh's journey to the final was nothing short of spectacular. She began her day with a hard-fought 3-2 victory over defending Olympic and world champion Yui Susaki of Japan, a legend who had been unbeaten in her 82-fight international career until she met Vinesh.
Next, the 29-year-old wrestler demolished world number 7 Ukrainian Ostava Livach, and then effortlessly overcame Cuba's Yusneylis Guzman Lopez with a 5-0 win to secure her spot in the final.
If you watched those three matches it was clear she had a good shot for the top spot.

Her previous wins count as they have to weigh in before each bout.

Last edited:
What's worse is since Phogat is disqualified she comes back without any kind of medal. She actually slips to the end of the pack as a DQ contestant. Terribly crushing!

Damn, I did not realize body weight for athletes fluctuates as much day to day. She did actually compete in a lower weight category than she usually does.

any source ?
Thats what the Jiocinema news room was told by Gaurav Kalra if you have the app.

https://go.jc.fm/fRhd/tc9yo960
Damn, I did not realize body weight for athletes fluctuates as much day to day. She did actually compete in a lower weight category than she usually does.
She's competed in numerous weight categories from 48kg up to 55kg.

Thing is once you pick a weight you have to comply with it
Should've given her some laxatives :p
They would have tried every trick in the book and I believe it

Last edited:
Thing is once you pick a weight you have to comply with it
Yes everyone is aware of that. She did not qualify for the 2016 Olympics for the same reason. She was competing in the 48 kg category then. From what I read, the wrestlers undergo a lot of pressure for the match weigh-in.

She did not qualify for the 2016 Olympics for the same reason.
Seems she got another chance to qualify
Vinesh made amends for the disappointment of getting disqualified at the previous qualifying event in Mongolia for being 400 gm overweight.

She qualified for Rio. In the QF she sustained a serious knee injury.

For the people of this country she's a finalist. Her three previous wins were all legal. They can't take those away from her.

This is pure incompetence of the management. Not the player's fault.
Once it is decided in which category the player has to play, the dietician has the responsibility that she stays within the limit.
No wonder we are where we are in the table tally.

Back