Olympics Paris 2024

A member of her team told Sportstar, "Her normal weight is 57 kg, and she did everything to drop down to 50 kg. She was 49.9 kg yesterday (Tuesday) morning, but as soon as she had even a small meal, her weight bounced back to at least 53 kg. She needed to reach this weight to have the strength to compete in three bouts." These extreme measures left Vinesh weak, fragile, and dehydrated. She was taken to a medical center inside the Olympic village after feeling dizzy and briefly losing consciousness.

Source1

Source2

Multiple sources are there for this. You can check various articles.
Wow, this must have been dreadful for her body to adjust to a new weight so quickly.
Instant bounce to 53 KG seems crazy but she must have been on the edge in the first weigh in itself.

No wonder she had an advantage. She was competing two weight classes below her own weight. Not 53 but 50. But then people in her natural weight would be doing the same too.

Weight swings due to fluid retention or loss isn't unusual. I once weighed myself before a night binge. The next morning i was 2kg lighter. Alcohol acts as a diuretic, and pulls water out. They call this a hangover.

‘For reasons beyond her control, Vinesh had to wrestle in the women’s 50kg category at the Paris Olympics. She wanted to compete in the still manageable 53kg category but a younger rival - Antim Panghal - had claimed that spot. Vinesh desperately asked for trials to determine who would represent India at the Olympics for that weight.

The federation didn’t budge. If she had to go to the Olympics, Vinesh had to wrestle at 50kg or she wouldn’t get to wrestle at all.’

We all know the REASON.

Sad state of affairs.

In the past Mary kom lost 2 kilos in just 4 hours and also win Gold. Vinesh has whole night to prepare and reduce the weight. There is 15 min time window in which athelete can check and manage weight.
In the past Vinesh also raised the question over Dietitian and support officier. Shame to the govt if there is any single thread of truth.

1723092602233.png

Last edited:
Vinesh desperately asked for trials to determine who would represent India at the Olympics for that weight.

"Vinesh had also competed in the 53kg event but had lost 10-0 to Anju. Usually a 53kg weight-class wrestler, Vinesh had dropped to the 50kg event after returning from a long-term injury since Antim Panghal had already won India a quota in the 53kg event. (This meant that whoever won in 53kg here wouldn't go to the Qualifier tournament since a quota was already won by the country in that division)"

Last edited:

"Vinesh had also competed in the 53kg event but had lost 10-0 to Anju. Usually a 53kg weight-class wrestler, Vinesh had dropped to the 50kg event after returning from a long-term injury since Antim Panghal had already won India a quota in the 53kg event. (This meant that whoever won in 53kg here wouldn't go to the Qualifier tournament since a quota was already won by the country in that division)"

That is again an incorrect nitpicked article being circulated online. That trial was for the Asian championship which in turn was the Olympic qualifier. Vinesh competed in both weight categories because if she qualified for 53kg through the Asian qualifiers, then it was possible for her to challenge Antim for the spot at the Olympics provide the Indian committee conducted a selection trial (which wasn't conducted anyway as the adhoc committee which announced the selection trial was dissolved after the ban was lifted).

She competed first in the 50kg category and qualified for the Asian championship through it and the 53kg fight was later, that she let the opponent win, as at that point her 50kg spot was assured as long as she qualified through the Asian championship, whereas the 53kg one depended on the Indian committee conducting a trial.

Any country would have wanted the best prospect to compete in a particular category but of course logical things don't happen in Indian Olympics sports manned by corrupt politicians.

Even the US champion for under 50kg cadre had changed her weight class. But she took the decision 2y prior to the event. Apparently our players shift was decided in May 2024. Since they are almost pure muscle, they quickly gain weight (Vinesh stated this), so difficult to make the cuts. That is why for body contact sports, weight is highly compliant as a Qualification Metric. Sports is a fluid situation, hard to predict all outcomes.

That's the fun. Make sports not war!

Any country would have wanted the best prospect to compete in a particular category but of course logical things don't happen in Indian Olympics sports manned by corrupt politicians.
'politicians' had nothing to do with the current situation. She knew she had power, used it to have her way, and landed everyone around her in this awkward situation.

(which wasn't conducted anyway as the adhoc committee which announced the selection trial was dissolved after the ban was lifted)
(From the sportstar article) The trials weren't held because players didn't want them two months before the olympics. Unrelated to the adhoc committee's dissolution.

Last edited:
'politicians' had nothing to do with the current situation. She knew she had power, used it to have her way, and landed everyone around her in this awkward situation.

(From the sportstar article) The trials weren't held because players didn't want them two months before the olympics. Unrelated to the adhoc committee's dissolution.
The whole point is about mismanagement at every level.

The rules don't allow trials in 2 categories, so that shouldn't have been allowed in the first place by the adhoc committee.

The US trials took place in April, so it is indeed stupid to schedule it in June as the cut-off should have been much earlier.

Lastly, the adhoc committee was dissolved in March, immediately after the same politicians effectively came back to power, so everything after that was their doing.

The rules don't allow trials in 2 categories, so that shouldn't have been allowed in the first place by the adhoc committee.
Who do you think created the adhoc committee? Vinesh and her friends wanted to set up a parallel wrestling org that was not under IWF supervision.

It had to be abandoned because UWW refused to deal with it.

Last edited:
Who do you think created the adhoc committee? Vinesh and her friends wanted to set up a parallel wrestling org that was not under IWF supervision.

It had to be abandoned because UWW refused to deal with it.
At the end of the day, the sports ministry instructs the Indian Olympics Association to create adhoc committees to comply with the IOC rules or else the entire country can get banned from Olympics representation.

This has happened for archery and boxing in the past. The script never changes, politicians dig their heels into these associations for decades and enrich themselves to the detriment of the sport itself.

The medal count reflects this reality.

The Women's Marathon in the morning was great to watch! Sifan Hassan from Netherlands won Gold but what was most memorable was Kinzang Lhamo's finish in the end! She was the last runner to complete the Marathon and came in 1 hour & 30 minutes after Sifan Hassan had won the race!! That I think was an Olympic record for the most time taken to reach the finish line in a Women's Marathon after the winner had crossed the finish line.

The crowd on the side lines of the race, behind the guard rails, kept cheering Lahmo on and she somehow managed to keep walking/ running till the end...

Slow... yes, give up... NEVER!

Watched the women's volleyball gold medal match between Italy and USA. Absolutely dominating performance from Italy. Fortunately there was comparatively less interruption with ads on Jio, which made it more enjoyable. Otherwise, I feel the coverage by Jio is total waste of time. Even highlights are peppered with unskippable 20 second ads.

On a different note, I watched the break dance competition for some time yesterday. It reminded me of the numerous dance-offs that were trending in the 80s in Indian cinema. :p I have no idea why and how it was included in the Olympics, but was surprised to see representation from a variety of countries.

Why is no one talking about this :D

Watched the women's volleyball gold medal match between Italy and USA. Absolutely dominating performance from Italy. Fortunately there was comparatively less interruption with ads on Jio, which made it more enjoyable. Otherwise, I feel the coverage by Jio is total waste of time. Even highlights are peppered with unskippable 20 second ads.

On a different note, I watched the break dance competition for some time yesterday. It reminded me of the numerous dance-offs that were trending in the 80s in Indian cinema. :p I have no idea why and how it was included in the Olympics, but was surprised to see representation from a variety of countries.

Haha... even I watched the Breaking events! There was a girl named India who actually was quite amazing! Her name on the screen read: IND - NED which initially made me super confused till I figured out India was her name and she was representing Netherlands, LoL! She made it to the Bronze match but lost to China. Bummer.

Breaking was added by the IOC because they felt it would attract youngsters and social-media savvy viewers. It also fit in apparently with the local organizer's broader goal of a more "urban" Olympic Games.

Back