Online Gaming : Consoles vs PC

Switch

Skilled
Which one do you prefer and why. I spoke to quite a few people who have both consoles as well as PC and i was amazed to know that people prefer console for online gaming even when they are playing a shooter(CODMW2) as opposed to PC. I wonder why.

Things going in favor of PC:
Keyboard + Mouse or Controller.
Cheaper games in India.
Virtually free(As opposed to XBL)

Things going in favor of console:
Better online gaming experience(As people say on 360).
NO crashing of games.
NO headache of FPS drops.
I am asking this question as i have just bought a 360 and i am wondering what all games to buy for it. I really wanted to buy a copy of BFBC2 but i am confused for which platform as i wanted to play it online. My PC or my 360. My heart says 360 as it is a new gadget but head says a PC(Cheaper + Keyboard/mouse combo)

Your all thoughts on the same topic.

Who says consoles don't have frame rate drops???????? PS3 drops frame rate.

A console can never match a PC in anything not now not ever.

Games rarely crash on the PC nowadays (specially Battlefield Bad Company 2).

Buying a Console was the biggest mistake of my life.

Sure Games are slightly more fun but they look so horrible that I can't even express the feeling in Words.

In my Opinion buy Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Edition.

Udit said:
Who says consoles don't have frame rate drops???????? PS3 drops frame rate.

A console can never match a PC in anything not now not ever.

Games rarely crash on the PC nowadays (specially Battlefield Bad Company 2).

Buying a Console was the biggest mistake of my life.

Sure Games are slightly more fun but they look so horrible that I can't even express the feeling in Words.

In my Opinion buy Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Edition.

WOW ! Those are some HARSH words . . beware of some console FANBOI knocking at your doorstep with a knife :clap:

I too am a firm believer of the fact that FPS and Strategy games are the only thing that keep the PC gaming port different and alive :D.

For rest of the things CONSOLE dominates the PC. You dont have to constantly upgrade your hardware [ although that cost is recovered when you buy those expensive titles - however selling them off is another issue ] and the resolution that the console can deliver to , you would have to pump a lot of power through a PC :(. Plus there is a barge of console exclusive titles in the market now :(.

But the update system in PC is way more awesome than consoles !

So in the end :

PC for FPS/Strategy

Console for REST

For online play as well I would prefer A PC anyday. +1 for BFBC2 on PC !

PS : Udit . . sell me your console :mad:

You missed out one of the major merit of consoles. Multiple people can play at the same time, live. All you need is spare controllers. It isn't often the case that a household has multiple computers, I know I've had loads of fun at such instances.

I can understand people enjoying arcade, racing, sports, fighting games on consoles but FPS? I cant fathom how a game build around to quick reactions would be any fun on consoles. Far as I know the usability of a mouse is severely crippled.

RPGs are debatable, I myself often prefer a second or third playthrough with cheats to avoid the redundant aspects of the game or to explore alternate endings, which isn't always possible on consoles. But I know people who seem to claim to have a higher threshold to playing on a controller/TV than on a keyboard/comp, so I guess its personal preference here.

^^ Didnt think that concept to be a console exclusive. As i plug in 3 XBOX controllers o my PC and play PES 2010 with 2 v 2 !

And its awesome fun :D

1 x Keyboard + 3 x Controllers = OWNAGE :D

PS : I can easily foresee this topic degenerating into a PC vs Console war. .bad bad Switch :p

dinjo said:
BFBC2 online multiplayer is buggy for PC its best on PS3

its been fixed ages ago. . and currently Console version has more bugs than the PC one :D---:mad:

Well Glitches, crashes and Framerate drops happen in all platform be it Console or PC.

I was Playing Uncharted 1 on friends PS3 and I found like 2 hard lock crash and 1 blocking issue.

Both Consoles and PC have their own pros and cons for example a person playing the game on a Console (PS3/X360) would always experience the best graphics and full details at a cheaper cost compared to a PC owner take example of Batman AA or MW2 or BC2.

Whereas controlling the camera, aiming and shooting is more easy on a PC compared to a PS3 and X360 due to the player playing with balanced mind and controlling the character movement and guns/camera using separate hands (KB and Mouse) compared to you trying to control the Dpad and sticks at a single time.

More over the gameplay experience is totally different over a Console and PC and this cannot be explained but one requires to feel it.

Lastly God of War and Tekken is on console only :p (I do not support Emulators)

Well I haven't played on-line much on consoles (Or for that matter PC) , but personally I found consoles having much worse lag issues with bad pings. I have played UT2k4 and Team Fortress and the very occasional COD4: MW with bad pings and they were playable most of the time. With console games, I found it literally impossible to play with the same pings.

As for No crashes and No FPS drops that simply not true. Although no PS3 game crashed on me ever, I had crashes/hangs on my 360 more than a couple of times, the latest being Fable 2 just a few days back. FPS drops do happen and even more during multi-player.

! 0 t A said:
For rest of the things CONSOLE dominates the PC. You dont have to constantly upgrade your hardware [ although that cost is recovered when you buy those expensive titles - however selling them off is another issue ] and the resolution that the console can deliver to , you would have to pump a lot of power through a PC .

I hope you do realize that most console games run at native resolutions of 720p and in many cases even less. Most lower mid range graphics cards can handle those resolutions on a PC. Consoles output 1080p by upscaling the scene once its rendered. There are a few native 1080p titles on PS3, but they are not the resource intensive kind and can easily run at high resolutions on a low to mind range cards on a PC.

I almost find it funny when people compare the cost of a PC which can render most games natively at 1920x1080p with 4/8xAA and 16xAF at 50~60FPS to a console which can barely get 30~35FPS out of the same game at 600p with a few of the graphics settings turned off.

I have never seen a console game. So this thread seems like a good place to ask questions. Why do a lot of people say, games do not look as good on consoles. I know that comparatively consoles have less power then PCs. So if I took COD2 : MW2, and ran it on the highest resolution would it look better on console or PC. Which brings me to, what IS the highest resolution on consoles.

! 0 t A said:
^^ Didnt think that concept to be a console exclusive. As i plug in 3 XBOX controllers o my PC and play PES 2010 with 2 v 2 !

And its awesome fun :D

1 x Keyboard + 3 x Controllers = OWNAGE :D
I guess so, but it also depends on the available titles, no? There are definitely more live 2p titles on consoles than on PC. Fighting and kart games especially, used to laugh at the sites that reviewed those games, but only realized how much fun they are after I played them live on consoles.

asingh said:
I have never seen a console game. So this thread seems like a good place to ask questions. Why do a lot of people say, games do not look as good on consoles. I know that comparatively consoles have less power then PCs. So if I took COD2 : MW2, and ran it on the highest resolution would it look better on console or PC. Which brings me to, what IS the highest resolution on consoles.

Did you not lord's post just above yours? :S

Actually, I think the people who choose consoles don't do so to get any better graphics or better MP.

The choice of a console almost always depends upon the library of games that an individual is looking to play.

Just look at what a Halo or a God of War title does to the sales of Xbox360 and PS3 respectively.

PC is losing ground to consoles, not because its not capable but because of the quality of the exclusives that are being released on consoles, and not to mention piracy (Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, etc)

BFBC2 on PC = pwnage........... I am playing it currently. I have a 5net connection(768 kbps).... THeres absolutely no lag............. And its more funn with mouse/keyboard (and I DO own a xbox 360 controller, but use it only with action adventure games and not FPS). The game has never crashed on me (touch wood), and the graphics are superior (although i cant compare it with consoles as i dont own any)............. Go for BFBC2 PC.............

This thread is going totally off the track. All i wanted to know is which has a better online gaming support. PC vs Console. And i guess very few answered the question. Thanks to all those.

But since Consoles vs PC has started let me add my thoughts to the same:

I have always been a PC gamer and even though i bought a console i will continue to play all the cross platform titles on PC only(Mainly Shooters). My reason of buying the 360 was:

1. I got a fabulous deal.

2. I always knew i could mod it.

3. I wanted something which i can connect to the big screen.

4. I wanted something which could be just switched on a enjoyed with a couple of friends and pints of beer or with my kid and i need not worry about installation of the title.

I gtg now but i will add up some more stuff but a bit later.

This would in a short while, lead to a PC vs Consoles war. We have had countless threads on the same. :\

Multiplayer wise, the PC has a definite advantage. There are few titles for the PS3 which did enjoy a good MP support such as the KZ2, MGS4, SF4, Fifa etc (to name a few!). Not sure of the titles for the X360 though.

My multiplayer gaming experience on consoles is limited to COD:MW & for PC its more or less dominated by CS, though i play other FPS games also..

From my experience- K/B mouse combo is much better than the analogue stick & offers much more precision in FPS games. The lag is much more evident in PC online multiplayer games (for me mostly CS) & almost nil in PSN. To date i have not experienced lag while playing COD:MW on PSN.

kestrel5915 said:
Actually, I think the people who choose consoles don't do so to get any better graphics or better MP.
The choice of a console almost always depends upon the library of games that an individual is looking to play.

Exactly

kestrel5915 said:
PC is losing ground to consoles, not because its not capable but because of the quality of the exclusives that are being released on consoles, and not to mention piracy (Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, etc)

I personally feel that Alan Wake not releasing on PC would most probably have to do with the fact that there is a lack of exclusives on XBOX360 this year when compared to PS3 since leaving this only other exclusive seems to be Halo Reach where as in PS3 you have GOW3 , GT5...etc which are heavy hitters.

Leaving this there is no way in hell I would be paying MS to play online (XBL), online gaming should be free as it is with PC and PS3.

Back