Online Gaming Tournament: Defense of the Ancients

Please avoid one liners that serve no purpose, if you have something to say elaborate and substantiate your complaints

here's your explaination. like arun said the teams were not assigned properly only two player me demonhead and hayabusa were made opponents based on earlier stats and no one knows how the rest 4 were assigned the teams. second match was played in lag the most of the time even opponents agreed to that, it's just that lag worked into there favour. don't want to sound whiney or anything but i believe it should have been hosted with observers especially after playing the two matches i am sure of it. and that's your explaination.

demonhead said:
here's your explaination. like arun said the teams were not assigned properly only two player me demonhead and hayabusa were made opponents based on earlier stats and no one knows how the rest 4 were assigned the teams. second match was played in lag the most of the time even opponents agreed to that, it's just that lag worked into there favour. don't want to sound whiney or anything but i believe it should have been hosted with observers especially after playing the two matches i am sure of it. and that's your explaination.

Please, you insult my intent. Here is how teams where chosen, like I had clearly made public on Monday, 15th August. -

Mephistopheles said:
Current standings:

1. demonhead; Hayabusa
  2. moksh4u2
  3. sato; Mephistopheles; Arun.P
  4. mavihs
  5. Vibu

Participants to go into Round 2:

1. Arun.P
  2. demonhead
  3. Hayabusa
  4. Mephistopheles
  5. moksh4u2
  6. sato1986

Team A:

demonhead

moksh4u2

Arun.P

Team B:

Hayabusa

Mephistopheles

Sato1986

Team selection was done as follows -

Demonhead and Hayabusa were separated on the basis of merit, rest were placed under different teams randomly using excel function [=RAND()]

Participants of Team A won 9 matches in the prelims.

Participants of Team B won 8 matches in the prelims.

About the apparent 'lag'. Well, I made sure that everything is done to avoid it. We rehosted 3-4 times, or maybe more to make it better. All of your pings were below 100ms, which is perfect. Anyways, the 'lag' complaint was not there at the start of the match, only when we were quite into the match did you experience it (as you say). Still, I gave you a chance to have the game rehosted (to an earlier savepoint, to the time where we changed hosts a couple of times) when we were close to wining, you all did not agree and accepted defeat.

Mephistopheles said:
About the apparent 'lag'. Well, I made sure that everything is done to avoid it. We rehosted 3-4 times, or maybe more to make it better. All of your pings were below 100ms, which is perfect. Anyways, the 'lag' complaint was not there at the start of the match, only when we were quite into the match did you experience it (as you say). Still, I gave you a chance to have the game rehosted (to an earlier savepoint, to the time where we changed hosts a couple of times) when we were close to wining, you all did not agree and accepted defeat.

sorry sir but can u please explain wht u mean by the underlined sentence....what do u mean u gave us a chance to re host. AFAIK, it is standard practice to re host a saved game if lag is experienced. And reg the end, our team decided to just let go of the game as u guys saved the game right after destroying out mid racks even after knowing that arun and demonhead were in major lag. we were upset at things and we dint want to create a fuss over the issues. However you statement above has upset me quite a bit as you are implying that you did us a favor but letting us re host the game in lag

^ that is the same question i am asking and your fail to create the rules know as XL model instead of ap or CM model so i am very disappointment that your should give balance team or Shuffler player for fair team ;)

anyway i am not argue with u cause i cannot do anything cause u dont read any rules for wcg and another link ;)

moksh4u2 said:
sorry sir but can u please explain wht u mean by the underlined sentence....what do u mean u gave us a chance to re host. AFAIK, it is standard practice to re host a saved game if lag is experienced. And reg the end, our team decided to just let go of the game as u guys saved the game right after destroying out mid racks even after knowing that arun and demonhead were in major lag. we were upset at things and we dint want to create a fuss over the issues. However you statement above has upset me quite a bit as you are implying that you did us a favor but letting us re host the game in lag

What? You say as if we did not cooperate.

And about saving after taking your tower, well I clearly told you all that there was another save (The one named 'TE practice') which would take us back to that point where we were hosting again and again if you remember.

Arun.P said:
^ that is the same question i am asking and your fail to create the rules know as XL model instead of ap or CM model so i am very disappointment that your should give balance team or Shuffler player for fair team ;)

anyway i am not argue with u cause i cannot do anything cause u dont read any rules for wcg and another link ;)

Why should I read wcg? Is this wcg? Is this a LAN tournament? :S

The rules were clear and all of the rules were followed. XL was the mode in the rules, as you all were not able to 'understand' it (I dont know what was so hard) we all agreed for ap and then cm.

Mephistopheles said:
What? You say as if we did not cooperate.

And about saving after taking your tower, well I clearly told you all that there was another save (The one named 'TE practice') which would take us back to that point where we were hosting again and again if you remember.

sir i am not saying you all did not cooperate...you implies that you did so as a favor and not out of fairness....

TE practice game was not saved recently.....the most recent file was over written after you guys destroyed racks.....

i do not want to troll/ start a fight on TE

My last comment on the subject is Congratulations to the winners

The difference between the 'TE practice' savefile and that of the original 'Final 2' savefile was of a few seconds, it woudnt have mattered. :)

Please present a legitimate and fair argument. I never implied I did a 'favor' by rehosting.

@Team A,

I guess you guys have a few complaints on the match that was conducted today. From what I understand the biggest problems were,

1. Pairing of players

2. Lag during game

3. Lack of a dedicated observer.

Regarding point 1 I guess the main bone of contention is the pairing of demonhead and hayabusa on opposite teams, from what I can see this was based on match results that took place during an official match in the tournament and they had the best results. Isn't this a valid method ? We cannot really consider previous results and other external factors.

Regarding point 2 , connectivity issues are a bane in this country, we have to work around it somehow. I assume if that there was lag it should have affected all 6 players or did it only affect Team B ?

Regarding point 3, having an observer, this I admit is a fault of the staff. Two of the members who were supposed to be present had urgent personal commitments and couldn't appear.

Out of the above if points 2,3 are a really a deal breaker and genuinely affecting the end result of the game, the affected team should have raised their hands on the spot,red-flagged the event and asked for a complete rehost at the time of the event or withdrawn till alternate arrangements could be made.

I can understand how frustrating it must be for you guys but I think we are past the stage where we can re-do the game and at this point we can only consider your points as constructive feedback and ensure that something like this does not happen again in future game tournaments.

Frankly given the number of confirmed absentee players and general state of connectivity , I am amazed we even reached this point and have to commend Shivam who worked tirelessly (almost single handedly) behind the scenes to make things work somehow and all you guys for participating and giving it your all.

bottle said:
@Team A,

I guess you guys have a few complaints on the match that was conducted today. From what I understand the biggest problems were,

1. Pairing of players
2. Lag during game
3. Lack of a dedicated observer.

Regarding point 1 I guess the main bone of contention is the pairing of demonhead and hayabusa on opposite teams, from what I can see this was based on match results that took place during an official match in the tournament and they had the best results. Isn't this a valid method ? We cannot really consider previous results and other external factors.

Regarding point 2 , connectivity issues are a bane in this country, we have to work around it somehow. I assume if that there was lag it should have affected all 6 players or did it only affect Team B ?

Regarding point 3, having an observer, this I admit is a fault of the staff. Two of the members who were supposed to be present had urgent personal commitments and couldn't appear.

Out of the above if points 2,3 are a really a deal breaker and genuinely affecting the end result of the game, the affected team should have raised their hands on the spot,red-flagged the event and asked for a complete rehost at the time of the event or withdrawn till alternate arrangements could be made.

I can understand how frustrating it must be for you guys but I think we are past the stage where we can re-do the game and at this point we can only consider your points as constructive feedback and ensure that something like this does not happen again in future game tournaments.

Frankly given the number of confirmed absentee players and general state of connectivity , I am amazed we even reached this point and have to commend Shivam who worked tirelessly (almost single handedly) behind the scenes to make things work somehow and all you guys for participating and giving it your all.
Sir firstly i would like to thank shivam for all his effort. Undoubtedly he must have put in a lot of effort to make things work.
My observations are as follows

1)the pairing of teams was to be carried out in game by using the -sp command. this was not followed. hayabusa and demonhead were put against each other. the method behind this is logical and justified but after the first match teams should have been reshuffled. i would have raised an issue but frankly speaking by then i felt it was too far along and i was already upset and dint want to spoil it for all.

2)it did affect mainly 3 players, namely hayabusa (second game), arun and demonhead. even i for a brief moment after the first game had a few minutes of lag. No way around this one

We did not raise an issue as once again we felt it was beyond the point. my performance in the first game was terrible and i was afraid if i said something then i would be taken as a sore looser. By the second game i had given up as frustration took over. It was only once i spoke to sato and demonhead after the game that i felt i should speak up. The aim of this is not to redo the match, but as u rightly said it is to improve the game for all involved. We just want to have a nice and enjoyable memory, something which i doubt i will take home tonight.

Thank you
Moksh

bottle said:

Even I for one appreciate Shivam's omnipresence during all the matches of NFS as well as doTa. He was there to listen/help/organize at all times of this loooong tournament. Many took his hard work (being the only organizer of the tournament) as granted, while not knowing that there was no obligation on him to do so. Thanks mephistopheles.

1.there is no point in arguing now as the tournament is over like bottle mentioned it was a mistake on team a part we shouldn't have continued the game if we were not satisfied with the way things were going.

2. mephis did a good job if he did it all by himself. well done dude. forgive me if i have offended you

3. now that i have calmed down, i believe we were upset because it seemed all unfair at that time but anyways it's just a game and main point was to have fun and test your limits as anyone would in a competition.

4. and by the game play i conclude that team A still would have lost to team B even if the lag wasn't there, it only would have been a matter of total time of the game but still team A would have lost.

5. lastly i would like to add only one more thing.

CONGRATS SATO1986, HAYABUSA AND MEPHISTOPHELES SEASON 1 IS YOURS. BUT WE'LL BE BACK NEXT TIME AND MEPHIS WE WILL DEFINITELY HELP YOU IMPROVE THE OVERALL EXPERIENCE NEXT TIME.

GG WP ALL.

Back