Laptops Opinion Required - Acer Aspire 5738

I am damn confused between
5738 5738z and 5738G

I'd be happy if acer offers 4GB DDR3 on 5738 without the gfx card.

What about the quality of battery and general reliability of Acer mobo and its chasis.

I get very strong opinions advising me to go for Dell or HP...

Acer's specs entice me, but I don't know if the battery and the mobo IC will give me trouble.

Anyone have any idea about the warranty conditions? Does the dealer have to register the invoice with acer for us to get the warranty. One of the distributors said that was the case, and the problem with buying from other dealers was you never know who might tear up the invoice to save VAT, and I may be left with no warranty. The dealers seemed to have no idea about the invoice registration bit.

Also the distributor said that sometimes the dealer changes the original acer bag for a fake, to give a low price. Is that true?

terrorofthedark said:
Anyone have any idea about the warranty conditions? Does the dealer have to register the invoice with acer for us to get the warranty. One of the distributors said that was the case, and the problem with buying from other dealers was you never know who might tear up the invoice to save VAT, and I may be left with no warranty. The dealers seemed to have no idea about the invoice registration bit.

Also the distributor said that sometimes the dealer changes the original acer bag for a fake, to give a low price. Is that true?

if you are worried about bag, insist on seeing the bag before buying (acer logo should be there) but they are packed in cartons anyway.

invoice to be registered with acer? never heard of such a thing, they need to write the serial no. on the bill, thats all. atleast thats how most companies work.

Finally, bought the 5738z. Quick review:

To summarise in one line: There's nothing wrong with the laptop. The screen's bright. Sound's OK. Everything works as expected. But I've just had it for a week. For an acer the real magic starts after some time I guess, when parts start falling off. There's very little heating, very little. It's quite cool, actually. But I haven't gamed on it, so I wouldn't know. And it looks quite nice. In fact I think, that's the reason I never even considered a thinkpad.

Price paid: 27k + 250 extra to exchange the backpack for the sidebag. Bought from Gigahertz on lamington.

Only thing I don't like: The keyboard is slightly differently configured than normal keyboards. So if you touch type, be prepared to find the keys a little farther away from where you would expect them to be. The touchpad is not very precise, scrolling does not work half the time (as compared to 25% in other laptops). I still haven't been able to use the gestures feature. And it takes a lot of finger movement to move across the screen with the touchpad.

Back