Opinions needed on buying any electronics in light of "global chip shortage".

satadru_das

Recruit
Hello all, hope all are doing good and safe.

I have a specific query on a given scenario.

Scenario : I have a three and a half year old Acer Nitro 5 Gaming laptop and I mainly play Rocket League and it does the job. Also, I have an OnePlus 5T which is also sufficient and gets all the job done.
Problem : Not an urgency but I compared my laptop to some of the new ones and found hell and heaven difference ( obviously tech flies faster than time, lol) and same with mobile, as 5G is incoming.
Want : To upgrade both, to be able to play/ try out newer demanding games and mobile because of 5G and better performance/ battery.

Query : In light of global chip shortage I have read online that financial analysts are saying these price hikes and all will last for two years from now at least. So, I understand it's somehow not efficient to put your "wants" in a place like now than sometime later when it makes more sense ; would like to have your opinion how do you have acted on this scenario and what are your thoughts/ researches on the prediction of this issue we are facing?

Regards, thankyou all in advance.

When you need it, it would not matter that there is a global shortage and prices are high. You will have to pay for it and get it.

But as your yourself said, you want it and not need it. So maybe wait for another 6 months and take a call then. From what I have read, it will take second half of the next year for supplies to improve. By May-Jun you will have a better idea whether you should wait more or just pay for it.

Honestly all common sense aside, two years is a long time to wait even for wants. :dead:

Not sure about gaming laptop, but it is pointless to think about 5G. Most people are not getting the upper end of 4G speeds in India i.e. the 300 Mbps theoretical 4G capability or even 42 Mbps that was promised to be possible practically.

Let 5G network come, see the bands required, plan prices, availability in your neighbourhood, practical speeds people are getting, and what you would do if you get them ? With 42 Mbps, you can already watch 8k movies live.

Many 5G phones selling today have a limited number of 5G bands, which may not work optimally.

Back