User Guides Organanize Your Tv Shows (& Movies) Using theRenamer

We all Love our TV Shows and movies,don't we? but often we find that they are unorganized lying here and there in our HDDs because organizing them one by one is too much PITA :p I came across a nifty little freeware which could give your movie and TV show folders,to quote a fellow TEian, a girly level of cleanliness :)

So Ladies and gents (Er..I Meant Neha :bleh: and Gents ) let me present before u - theRenamer

zZGg5.jpg

(Download Link)

Part I - Organizing TV Shows

1.Install (duh!!) and connect to the internet

2.Start theRenamer

3.First Things First - The settings

Code:
We Will be Going For Showname\Season #\ Showname - (season)x(epnumber) - Episodetitle format.e.g. Game of Thrones\Season 1\Game of Thrones - 01x04 - Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

Click on Global settings at the bottom left corner of the window and make sure everything is same like the following screenshot

U6dqi.jpg

3.Now The TV Show Specific settings - Click on settings on top right corner.change the options to match with the following Screenshot.click close to come back to the original window.

bFHtJ.jpg

4.To Select the database according to which your TV shows will be organized Click the bright green options on the bottom right corner (IMO TVDB is the best)

5.Drag your TV Show files onto the main window.theRenamer searches for the episode titles

ZmyRn.jpg

5.And Finally Displays The Results

DeQWb.jpg

If everything's fine,Click proceed

Code:
Note - in case any file shows the wrong info , uncheck the files for which info had been retrieved wrong or not retrieved at all,Click proceed and try them second Time

6.Thats it!! go Back to ur TV Show archive folder to see them all organized :)

Part II - Organizing Movies

(Step 1 & 2?Really? :p )

3.Click on The Big Hulk-Green TV Show Written at the center of the original window.

It Should Change To Something like the following

SUlCl.jpg

4.Now The Movie Specific settings - Click on settings on top right corner.change the options to match with the following Screenshot.click close to come back to the original window.

Code:
We Will be Going For Movie ((Year) (MPAA Rating) (IMDB Rating)) format,i.e. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 R 7.6)

RRSAk.jpg

Code:
[B]Fetch Folder[/B] Means the folder from which you will drag and drop the movie files (Maybe your Download Folder?)

[B]Archive Folder[/B] Means The Folder where you Will Finally store The Movie

Selecting the [B]Auto Move[/B] option will move the files after renaming to your Archive folder without asking for confirmation

5.Done !! Now Drag and Drop The movie Files,theRenamer searches for movie info

eLGuq.jpg

6.And Finally Displays The Results

1XLci.jpg

If everything's fine,Click proceed

Code:
Note - in case any file shows the wrong info , uncheck the files for which info had been retrieved wrong or not retrieved at all,Click proceed for other files ,Make Sure The Movie name Spelling etc is okay and try them second Time

7.6.Voila!! go Back to ur Movie archive folder to see them all organized :)

I Will be Glad If this n00b tut could be of any help to my Fellow TEians.

All Hail Dexter!!​

I have been using MediaMonkey for quite sometime now. It can organize and play files efficiently. This looks like a nice piece of work and I might give it a try. Cool tutorial

say if the shows are spread acorss multiple HDD's and Discs. And not all are connected to PC. Any scenario for that?

I still want to know the show details, Disc which its located. anything like that?

Other than a simple xls i keep. :D

m-jeri said:
say if the shows are spread acorss multiple HDD's and Discs. And not all are connected to PC. Any scenario for that?

I still want to know the show details, Disc which its located. anything like that?

Other than a simple xls i keep. :D
^^No mate, Nothing can beat a simple xls :)

though if they are not organized (i mean filnames are not properly formatted as shown above) u can always organize them by plugging in your ex HDDs one by one and using renamer on them.

britboy said:
I have been using MediaMonkey for quite sometime now. It can organize and play files efficiently. This looks like a nice piece of work and I might give it a try. Cool tutorial
Mediamonkey is for audio files if i am not mistaken? Yup its a gem of a Freeware..I use it Too..being a Tag fanatic as i am :p have u Tried the MusicBrainz tagger plugin(Link)?For tagging I use it with Winamp auto tagger

If the year is not there in the original filename then will it search and show it in the new name?

I've just now put it on, lets see what it does.

I used to use ember, faster and easier. I'm not sure if its active now anyway if you guys do organize then use it with media center makes it way cooler.

This software's really cool and fast, got my whole collection reorganized.

Is there a similar software for MP3 and other music?

MediaMonkey's is too slow to be of any use.

I can see hundreds of tagging softwares after Googling but can't go on testing them all :(

kestrel5915 said:
Is there a similar software for MP3 and other music?
Interesting, how many audio files does it take to choke mediamonkey ?

The app you want is called Media Jukebox from Jriver. It will only do audio, is free and should handle a few million files.

Given you are used to media monkey this should be a step up. Just dont use it with your ipod or any apple product unless they are at least a cpl of generations older than present.

They have a pay version that will do movies or any other type of file for that matter. This is a media manager. This tut deals with just the renaming part of a typical workflow. There 's more to organising and managing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel5915

I too wanted to ask this...

i one which automatically adds lyrics and album art(500x500)

v.Na5h said:
Quote Originally Posted by kestrel5915

I too wanted to ask this...

i one which automatically adds lyrics and album art(500x500)
I have like 45,000 tracks in Media Monkey.. no slow downs at all. Maybe you're using an old computer ? lol

Select tracks and right click AutoTag from Web and it'll do the needful. Not lyrics though. I think it has a plugin for that.

blr_p said:
Interesting, how many audio files does it take to choke mediamonkey ?

The app you want is called Media Jukebox from Jriver. It will only do audio, is free and should handle a few million files.

Given you are used to media monkey this should be a step up. Just dont use it with your ipod or any apple product unless they are at least a cpl of generations older than present.

They have a pay version that will do movies or any other type of file for that matter. This is a media manager. This tut deals with just the renaming part of a typical workflow. There 's more to organising and managing ;)
I'm not used to MediaMonkey, just tried using it but it kept on searching for I don't know how many hours when I put around 1500 files for auto tag.

Anyway, I'll try this one.

And what else do you do for organizing and managing your movies and videos, other than renaming and which software is good?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dhruvrock2000 said:
I have like 45,000 tracks in Media Monkey.. no slow downs at all. Maybe you're using an old computer ? lol

Select tracks and right click AutoTag from Web and it'll do the needful. Not lyrics though. I think it has a plugin for that.
I'm not talking about a system slow down here and if this MediaMonkey can't even run on i5 then I better use some other lighter software.

AutoTag took so long time that I could have manually done the tagging by that time.

How long does it take for tagging say 1500 files on your new supercomputer?

Back