PC Peripherals PC not stable, 1 long beep and 8 short beeps and eventually no display

ananyabasu

Disciple
A very happy new year to all the TE members here .. I am very sorry that after getting my new rig I was completely inactive and also forgot to post the pictures ..actually the case was after getting my newly purchased rig I was so overwhelmed by it's performance I was indulged in gaming for long hours .. I completed MW2 and COJ2 in due time..:)

After getting the rig suggested by the fellow TE members it was running OK for the first 2 months but the problem started afterwards .. here's my complete configuration:

Mobo:ASUS M4A785TD V-EVO
Proccy:AMD ATHLON II X4 620
RAM:Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz ddr3
GPU:XFX ATI HD 5850
PSU:Corsair VX550

The whole system when turned on runs ok(for instance I completed MW2 in 6hrs at a stretch) .. the problem lies on the next part ..when turned off and kept for some time say 2 hrs the problem starts in turning it on as I am getting 1 long beeps and 8 short beeps and eventually no display is there on the monitor ..I saw it was suggested somewhere that reseating the GPU might solve it so did that but the problem was not solved ..but reseating the RAM solved it and it was running ok ..the system was running ok but the next time it was turned off the problem started again!!

This is what I did as I suspected the problem might be in the mobo or in the RAM's .. I took it to the shop from where I purchased it where it was not running at the first time they checked but eventually after removing the RAM and reseating solved it ..but as I told them the problem may occur further so they kept the whole system in their lab and tested it for two days after which they told me no problem was detected and it was running OK ..they told me to check whether earthing was ok in my home or not?The electrician came and checked everything and told me earthing is ok and neutral is not backing and there is no problem whatsoever.

I donno what maybe the problem but I am feeling really helpless and don't know what to do regarding my problem .. please help!!

Re: Feeling cheated!

beep codes are mentioned and explained in motherboard User Manual..

open it and see what '8 beeps' translates to..

logged out now

madnav said:
beep codes are mentioned and explained in motherboard User Manual..

open it and see what '8 beeps' translates to.

Boy isn't that helpful [sarcasm]:bleh:

@ ananyabasu: True to the fact that TE unfortunately has influx of incompetent idiots who unfortunately "help" others, but using the words "feeling cheated" gives an indirect impression that its the member's that have cheated you.

Misguided? Maybe, Misguided due to lack of experience and over exaggeration- yes. cheated- no.

Try the following:

# Update the BIOS by using the latest one:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Follow the instructions given on the manual or let one of the owners help you out.

# Try booting to safe mode and then immediately to normal mode. I don't know about others but one of the bios on my previous "p5q deluxe" system had that problem.

# If that doesn't work, reduce the ram frequency to 1066mhz for the time till asus releases a good enough BIOS. I think it should be under advance- turn memory clock mode to manual and select VDRAM frequency (or something like that) to 1066mhz.

Award BIOS Beep Codes:

1long, 2 short
-----------------

Video adapter error - Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop)
-------------------------

Memory error - Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short
--------------------------

No video card or bad video RAM - Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running
------------------------------------
Overheated CPU - Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low
------------------
CPU - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Full link BiosCentral - Award BIOS Beep Codes

Couldn't find anything for 1 long 8 shorts... Might be mistaken but don't think shorts go on for that long. Anyways, check the 5850 in another CPU, might consider some cooling as well...

The Sorcerer said:

@ ananyabasu: True to the fact that TE unfortunately has influx of incompetent idiots who unfortunately "help" others, but using the words "feeling cheated" gives an indirect impression that its the member's that have cheated you.
Misguided? Maybe, Misguided due to lack of experience and over exaggeration- yes. cheated- no.

I am not telling I am being misguided by TE members what I wanted to tell was asus service center is not helping me as they should've and nor the shop from where it was brought ..sorry for the confusion created .. :(

ananyabasu said:
I am not telling I am being misguided by TE members what I wanted to tell was asus service center is not helping me as they should've and nor the shop from where it was brought ..sorry for the confusion created .. :(

if u are from any locate city such mumbai , chennai or somewhere u can ask any t.e fellow member might solve the problem asap find bios update and tweak memory and some extra improve the Microsoft windows 7 or xp hot fix stable and bug too :)

The Sorcerer said:

Try the following:

# Update the BIOS by using the latest one:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Follow the instructions given on the manual or let one of the owners help you out.

# Try booting to safe mode and then immediately to normal mode. I don't know about others but one of the bios on my previous "p5q deluxe" system had that problem.

# If that doesn't work, reduce the ram frequency to 1066mhz for the time till asus releases a good enough BIOS. I think it should be under advance- turn memory clock mode to manual and select VDRAM frequency (or something like that) to 1066mhz.

i do not understand the point of going through all that gadha majooori when motherboard manual lists the beep code..

what if the beep code is for power failure? or for that matter, for something that can't be solved by the end user..

the beep codes are to simplify the issue to end user... How is suggesting still to follow the normal route more helpful ?

gee-wiz!!

it takes less than 5minutes to go through the motherboard manual, provided you have it with you.

basu try to re assemble to whole stuff.....

And do reset the cmos chip too via shorting and removing battery both....

It has to be some hardware not properly fit or detecting stuff

Also try every part one by one like first donot install ram and see does it give same beep code

Than with minimal hardware try basic installation(hdd,lcd no need for writer etc)..

I guess most probably your cpu might be getting overheated check heatsink....

Also in future stay away from Asus product as they have hell warranty even at metros like mumbai...better go with gigabyte better settle with 10% less performance mobo rather than suffering this way

After keeping the whole system inactive for 2 days I tried starting it .. but then also the same problem started ..:S .. not able to determine where the problem lies actually!!

try running on integrated graphics only and see if problem persists. problem could be with graphic card or the graphic card slot.

madnav said:
i do not understand the point of going through all that gadha majooori when motherboard manual lists the beep code.

madnav said:
the beep codes are to simplify the issue to end user... How is suggesting still to follow the normal route more helpful ?

madnav said:
it takes less than 5minutes to go through the motherboard manual, provided you have it with you.

And then..

madnav said:
just checked the manual online...

stupid asus has not included any trouble shooting chapter in User manual :|

Good boy!!! You finally figured it out :).

2 reasons why I say bios flash, although I wish you figured it out as well but :bleh:

#1. The 1st fix mentioned under 0512 :

Fix the issue that system may hang during POST when using SAMSUNG-DDRIII1333-2G (M378B5673FH0-CH9) memory which were produced during 43~44 week.

What's the relevance? The ICs. Corsair rams uses ICs from elpida, Promos, hynix and also- Hello hello! Samsung! Most likely he might have the corsair rams with the same/relabelled samsung ICs.

#2. Self explanatory:

02. Fix the issue that ATI HD5850/5870 graphic card may be unable to be detected.

Maybe the service tested the system with another graphic card, most likely anything but ati 5850 and 5870. Could you always do the "Gadha majdoori" and waste 7 business day's time by RMAing the card, possibly functioning from their end and returning with an "ok tested" tag to facepalm yourselves to glory if and when you try the steps I told or try the steps I told which would take barely an hour's time?

Anyone who has the ups and downs with asus boards will know the anguish as far as ram compatibility is concerned. Flash the BIOS, if it doesn't work, reduce the ram frequency till asus releases a better bios.

The Sorcerer said:
And then..

Good boy!!! You finally figured it out :).

2 reasons why I say bios flash, although I wish you figured it out as well but :bleh:

#1. The 1st fix mentioned under 0512 :

What's the relevance? The ICs. Corsair rams uses ICs from elpida, Promos, hynix and also- Hello hello! Samsung! Most likely he might have the corsair rams with the same/relabelled samsung ICs.

#2. Self explanatory:

Maybe the service tested the system with another graphic card, most likely anything but ati 5850 and 5870. Could you always do the "Gadha majdoori" and waste 7 business day's time by RMAing the card, possibly functioning from their end and returning with an "ok tested" tag to facepalm yourselves to glory if and when you try the steps I told or try the steps I told which would take barely an hour's time?

Anyone who has the ups and downs with asus boards will know the anguish as far as ram compatibility is concerned. Flash the BIOS, if it doesn't work, reduce the ram frequency till asus releases a better bios.

err..

my reply was not against your suggestion of bios flash..

my whole point was to make the Thread starter to go through the manual and post what that beep code meant. was just a general trouble shooting advice (not related to wht was mentioned in the OP about what happened at his dealer)

and all that gadha majoori thing was said because you asked how is that helpful ??!! :p

no offense meant or taken.. :)

@ Anubis..

that is right on target about beep code.

Its the GFX

Because 8 beeps mean there has been an error with the display memory which is usually caused by a faulty video card.

^OP , try someone else's gfx in your mobo

I am pretty sure it the gfx ( if the information about 8 beeps during startup that you provided is correct )

@OP:

You have onboard graphics right. Remove the GPU, and try it. I think your graphics accelerator has an issue. I looked up some BEEP codes, 8 means bad card.

8beeps.jpg

Back