CPU/Mobo PC Suddenly stopped working - Motherboard has CPU LED glowing

gourav

Skilled
Hi folks, today while gaming on my desktop, the PC suddenly froze. When I got up to restart it, found that the motherboard's CPU LED was glowing.

I have the following components
  • MSI B550M Pro VDH Wi-Fi
  • Ryzen 5600
  • Zotac RTX 3060
  • Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (bought used last month)
  • Deepcool PM650D
In the attached image, you can see the CPU LED glowing. The PC doesn't go to POST

The motherboard manual says the CPU LED glowing indicates CPU not detected or failed.

What should I do? Should I carry out any additional steps to ensure it's the processor which failed, or this LED is enough to show that?

All components except RAM were bought last year in June. However, the processor was an OEM processor, it came without a box. So I do not know the warranty status of it. The shopkeeper had said it has 3 years warranty, but their words don't really mean anything. I had taken a chance thinking processors rarely go bad. But as luck would have it, that's the first component to fail.

Anyone have any recent experience with AMD RMA, especially of Ryzen 5600?

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_115044769.jpg
    PXL_20230729_115044769.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 71
Why not stick to the usual basics- start by dismantling everything, remove the mobo outside the case, reset the bios, connect only one ram and the gpu & do not connect any storage. Power on and check.

If this fails, download the latest mobo bios from another system, copy to a pen drive and plug it into the bios recovery usb port and depending on your mobo model follow the instruction to flash the bios and then check.

Do a simple CMOS reset. There are many guides online and it should be fairly quick and easy. You'll probably have to remove the GPU. This will reset everything on the motherboard BIOS to stock and if it works, you'll have to redo any BIOS settings you modified when you got the PC. Your CMOS battery should be here:

1690637758818.png

If this doesn't work, do as @nRiTeCh said.

Thanks friends, it was the RAM, one of the sticks is faulty. I removed the faulty RAM, checked the slots by putting the good RAM in every slot and it is working fine.

Hopefully there will be no trouble with Crucial RMA.

Back