Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

How about this: http://www.amazon.com/Coby-MP957-4G-Inch-Video-Player/dp/B0047Q7LSW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

It fits all your requirements, and it is also within your budget limit.

Yes that is a good player but i am pretty sure it will be expensive if ordered to India. Secondly i am getting more inclined towards getting a big screen android device. I am in no hurry so am evaluating my options. But yes this coby is a well know chinese type brand in US.
Btw at this price or less we can get 5" screen players from aliexpress.

On a separate note, i really find it a struggle to enjoy videos on the commute as due to intermittent shaking and jerking of the vehicle, its hard to stay focused. Instead i enjoy music. I have a rockboxed sansa clip plus Philips SHE 9700 which delivers awesome sound quality and have my fav collection on my sansa. Time just flies :)

On a separate note, i really find it a struggle to enjoy videos on the commute as due to intermittent shaking and jerking of the vehicle, its hard to stay focused. Instead i enjoy music. I have a rockboxed sansa clip plus Philips SHE 9700 which delivers awesome sound quality and have my fav collection on my sansa. Time just flies :)

Happens with my wife. But she gets dizzy with the motion and watching videos together. She cannot watch videos when we are in a vehicle. Even tried iPad because of bigger screen but no dice.
And when i travel from Pune to Mumbai, i am continuously watching my TV shows. Similarly travelling to and from office i watch TV series.

that means you will try to get a used android-based tab/phone, isn't it (under or in 5k)?!

Something i can suggest you if you want a device almost exactly as mine...

Here is a dealextreme link, on aliexpress also it is almost same price so you can buy from anywhere.

http://dx.com/p/t13-4-3-tft-touch-screen-mp4-mp5-player-w-fm-black-4gb-164359

I checked the video review on Youtube and read the specs and it seems to be a good player. The display resolution on DX.com is written as 640x480 but i believe it is 800x480, from what i read at multiple places.

Something i can suggest you if you want a device almost exactly as mine...

Here is a dealextreme link, on aliexpress also it is almost same price so you can buy from anywhere.

http://dx.com/p/t13-4-3-tft-touch-screen-mp4-mp5-player-w-fm-black-4gb-164359

I checked the video review on Youtube and read the specs and it seems to be a good player. The display resolution on DX.com is written as 640x480 but i believe it is 800x480, from what i read at multiple places.

thanks, but i would like to get one which has wifi, and hence a tab is what i think fits the bill. will create a WTB-thread for it soon after i also accumulate some amount. i just came back from a shop. had enquired whether there's any indian-brand tab for ~5k, and the answer was negative.

Ok so i sold my MP4 player and have another thing to sell after which i would have accumulated around 8K or so.
I want to now focus on getting a MP4 player / Phone whatever. Now i have ordered a player for under 1.3K on aliexpress but i am very skeptical about the arrival of the product. So i am not banking on that.
I am unsure about the budget but it is to be as less as possible.
My only requirement is to watch videos so display has to be good. IPS is better than AMOLED or what ?? I don't know.
My wife is suggesting me to buy a 7" Tab but i am still not sure whether i want a tab or not.
If phone i am open to sizes till 6", but display has to be good for watching videos and processor good enough to play most videos with any stutter or any problems.. This is the MOST IMPORTANT Requirement, i don't want to buy something to find it is unable to play bit high resolution videos (less than 720p though).
Most of the videos i watch are less than or around 480p size, i almost never ever download 720p/1080p. But the files can be MKV/AVI/MP4 etc.

Some things that grabbed my attention are Byond Phablet III Phone which costs under 8K on flipkart. It is from a Pune based company.
There is another almost similar phone 6" in size called MTV Volt.

Nexus 7 16gb Wifi is 9.5K.

Get it eyes closed. It will solve many purposes and with a cover it wont attract much attention.

Nexus 7 16gb Wifi is 9.5K.

Get it eyes closed. It will solve many purposes and with a cover it wont attract much attention.

I have never touched a nexus tab so I have to first get a look at them. Any store like croma etc ma have it ?
I am considering tablets as well now. But 7" only. And yes cover, folio type is important. The nexus you are referring to is 2012 version right ?
If I were to choose a tablet for video watching as primary purpose then which models apart from nexus would be suggested. I am also looking at Samsung tab 2/3.
Is there any good video comparing nexus 2012 and tab 2 or some proper comparison then please post links.
I think putting in random no name brands will cause me only more problems. Want tried and tested stuff only. Also it would be good if the tab does not heat like oven when watching videos continuously for 2 hours or so.
Have to also check battery capacity of the tab. Going to look on forums, olx, quikr etc for 2nd hand stuff. I wish to not spend a lot and just in case I find the tab not being useful to me, I will sell it.

I have never touched a nexus tab so I have to first get a look at them. Any store like croma etc ma have it ?
I am considering tablets as well now. But 7" only. And yes cover, folio type is important. The nexus you are referring to is 2012 version right ?
If I were to choose a tablet for video watching as primary purpose then which models apart from nexus would be suggested. I am also looking at Samsung tab 2/3.
Is there any good video comparing nexus 2012 and tab 2 or some proper comparison then please post links.
I think putting in random no name brands will cause me only more problems. Want tried and tested stuff only. Also it would be good if the tab does not heat like oven when watching videos continuously for 2 hours or so.
Have to also check battery capacity of the tab. Going to look on forums, olx, quikr etc for 2nd hand stuff. I wish to not spend a lot and just in case I find the tab not being useful to me, I will sell it.
Hmmm... I had got a Tab2 for the same purpose, but then i stopped watching things while travelling due to the fact that it was attracting constant attention. It feels big compared to my iPod Touch 4G, which i used to watch videos before.
May be 5.5 to 6" phablet might do the trick, but then i am not sure about its performance.
Video quality wise i liked the Tab2. Battery was also pretty decent. Infact i had started using it at home, instead of my laptop.
Nexus video quality should be slightly better, but then you have to live with the limited 16gb capacity.
But then i never put any memory card on my Tab2 either, as i found 16GB to be quite ok for the entire week and more.

Consider the battery and the Screen below:

Tab2 -->600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi ) 4000 mAh battery
N7 --> 7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi) 4325 mAh

Back when i bought Tab2 N7 was around 15k, so it made sense to get tab 2 for around 9k.

Now N7 makes more sense

Last edited:
With a Nexus 7 - just root it and install stickmount. Not sure whether it works all the time, but you can view stuff from a pen drive - USB OTG.

Has anyone used Samsung Tab 2 connected to TV ? Although it is not a primary requirement and it will require me to buy additional MHL adapter and all which will add to my cost, just want to know how good it is ?
I don't see need of a 3G tablet as i know i am not gonna use the 3G Part at all. I have a iPad 2 3G and have never used 3G part.
So as of now Nexus 7 seems a better option ? I am ok with min 16GB as i will just copy new TV series / episodes when i finish old. I used to do that in my earlier MP4 player as well.
I have 64 GB iPhone 4S but still i don't load like entire series, at the most 2-3 seasons.
Camera is useless I know so don't care.
I just want good build quality, good screen, ability to play most of the videos i throw at it, max 720p, do not intend to use for 1080p ever and 720p also rarely.

Also i just checked the comparison of samsung tab P3110 wifi and Nexus 7 i find that,Nexus 7 has GPS, although it is not a deal breaker or anything, does it have real GPS ?
The Bluetooth can be used to connect to BT headset because i would love to be wire free by connecting to stereo BT headset. :)

Last edited:
If you want to use the Tab2 with TV - you will need to buy a seperate TV out cable. I dont think MHL circuitry is present.

yes, the Nexus 7 does have GPS - you can put Sygic India Maps on it - though my area has a major issue.

EDIT :
Tab 2 : It does not have HDMI - you will get composite/component - dunno when i checked - was quite sometime back.

As far as the first gen Nexus 7 - I believe it too does not have HDMI or MHL. But then, I never checked that part throughly.

Last edited:
If you want to use the Tab2 with TV - you will need to buy a seperate TV out cable. I dont think MHL circuitry is present.

yes, the Nexus 7 does have GPS - you can put Sygic India Maps on it - though my area has a major issue.

Like i said, i at present use my iPhone sometime to connect to TV and watch stuff, but that is because i already have a cable. I am getting more inclined towards Nexus 7 mainly because of under 10K price, if the price difference between Tab 2 and Nexus 2012 would have been a lot, i would have without doubt got a Tab 2.
I am not in a hurry at all. I want to get my stuff sold first on olx etc, one buyer did not turn up today :mad:

More and more people are using tabs these days when the travel. So it catching attention is coming down.

I am also looking at N7.

Back