Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

More and more people are using tabs these days when the travel. So it catching attention is coming down.

I am also looking at N7.

True that. I have seen lot of people carry the 7" Tabs in my office. Many of them using the samsung 3G tab. I am currently checking on the N7 2012 and seems like a good bet.
Read that out of box it does not support all video formats so have to install DICE player or some other player for that.
The Nexus 7 does play MP4/MKV/AVI files right ?

True that. I have seen lot of people carry the 7" Tabs in my office. Many of them using the samsung 3G tab. I am currently checking on the N7 2012 and seems like a good bet.
Read that out of box it does not support all video formats so have to install DICE player or some other player for that.
The Nexus 7 does play MP4/MKV/AVI files right ?

Install the MX player and it would play everything which you can throw at it.

Once you have that player, you just have to drag all the video files in the SD card and they would work fine.

Has anyone used Samsung Tab 2 connected to TV ? Although it is not a primary requirement and it will require me to buy additional MHL adapter and all which will add to my cost, just want to know how good it is ?
I don't see need of a 3G tablet as i know i am not gonna use the 3G Part at all. I have a iPad 2 3G and have never used 3G part.
So as of now Nexus 7 seems a better option ? I am ok with min 16GB as i will just copy new TV series / episodes when i finish old. I used to do that in my earlier MP4 player as well.
I have 64 GB iPhone 4S but still i don't load like entire series, at the most 2-3 seasons.
Camera is useless I know so don't care.
I just want good build quality, good screen, ability to play most of the videos i throw at it, max 720p, do not intend to use for 1080p ever and 720p also rarely.

Also i just checked the comparison of samsung tab P3110 wifi and Nexus 7 i find that,Nexus 7 has GPS, although it is not a deal breaker or anything, does it have real GPS ?
The Bluetooth can be used to connect to BT headset because i would love to be wire free by connecting to stereo BT headset. :)
Tab2 also has GPS. :p

good to know that you are moving ahead towards an N7! on one other forum, there was a whole thread created after flipkart listed the N7 for some special offer price, and the members went on a buying-spree one by one! :D

Ok so yesterday and today I went to reliance digital and croma to have a look at what all phones and tablets they have. No one had N7 so I got no chance to look at them. I checked different tabs there. Saw the video which was already there, some demo video etc.
My impressions of a 7" tab is that they are comfortable to hold, even in one hand. Videos look very good and big screen is obviously a plus. But I am still having my reservations about a tablet because of my usage in commuting. I see videos 90% of time while commuting only in office bus. Even when i was using my 4.3" media player I would see someone looking sometimes. I know you would say that I should not care about them. Point taken on that.
I just want to peacefully see the videos without the thought that someone is peeking.

I saw a karbonn device in croma which the sales guy told is discontinued but I felt it had around 6" screen and 8mpx camera. That I what I could make out from the looks, it would not turn on so did not know what model it was.

Anyone knows anything about Byond phones ? There is one which is 6" on size and costs 7.5K INR on flipkart.

I am open to Chinese rebrands only if they are cheap and good. Sorry if I am asking too much.

I read a lot about n7 in last 2 days after you all suggested, checked YouTube videos too. I am definitely impressed by them but I still have a feeling that a 7"device is big for me.

I will still keep checking whatever folks suggest here with open mind. I am in no hurry at the moment. Back to my trusty 3.5" tiny screen (for videos) iphone for TV series watching from tomorrow. Until I find my THE device.

@boogeyman

I am going to report my post to change thread title. I am now looking at option 5" and above. I concur what many people keep saying here, you cannot go back to smaller screen once you have seen a bigger screen.

one good way of shedding off your feeling of unease/'inhibition' (that is what i suppose you have) with regard to people looking at you/your screen - invite 1-2 colleagues of yours to watch a few videos with you in the commute. active involvement and that warmth of camaradarie could help a good bit both ways. :)

Rather than Byond - look at Lava/MMX/Karbon etc. I think that MMX would be slightly better than Byond - albeit both would be chinese rebadged phones. AFAIK, there was a cheap MMX phone in Croma for about 6K

How about the nokia 520?

Updated:
Never mind. The screen size is 4".

You can also check out phones from Spice. They too come cheap.
Check Spice Coolpad Mi-515 (5" screen) cost~8999 and Spice Coolpad 2 Mi-496 (4.5" screen) cost~5999
These have 1gb ram too, unlike the other cheap phones which have 512Mb.

Last edited:
Does the RAM impact the video watching ? Or only the processor matters ?[DOUBLEPOST=1384158468][/DOUBLEPOST]Any opinions on this tablet, seems almost same as Nexus 7, same resolution, IPS LCD Screen, has MicroSD Card slot, made by ASUS only. Seems not available in India (lower version is available with lower resolution).

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384158298&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS MeMOPad HD

I can get this through amazon global for 152$ (including everything) if the price remains at 119$ there.
It has some Mediatek CPU but i am not sure all mediatek are bad or none or only some.

Last edited:
Does the RAM impact the video watching ? Or only the processor matters ?[DOUBLEPOST=1384158468][/DOUBLEPOST]Any opinions on this tablet, seems almost same as Nexus 7, same resolution, IPS LCD Screen, has MicroSD Card slot, made by ASUS only. Seems not available in India (lower version is available with lower resolution).

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384158298&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS MeMOPad HD

I can get this through amazon global for 152$ (including everything) if the price remains at 119$ there.
It has some Mediatek CPU but i am not sure all mediatek are bad or none or only some.
At that rate wouldnt you get a N7 here?

Actually N7 is manufactured by Asus itself, so the link that you are pointing to should be good.

Yes i am aware ASUS manufactured Nexus as well. I am reading anandtech review as of now and seems like ASUS first built Nexus 7 2012 and then sort of added the MicroSD Card slot, 5 Mpx camera, removed the premium rubber finish back and sold at lower price point in form of MemoPad HD7. Offcourse proccy also changed.
I am definitely getting inclined towards this, hoping price to not increase on amazon obviously.

Btw it is available on amazon.in through iBhejo at 15,XXX Rs, that is pretty high considering one can get for Under 10K through amazon global.

Yes i am aware ASUS manufactured Nexus as well. I am reading anandtech review as of now and seems like ASUS first built Nexus 7 2012 and then sort of added the MicroSD Card slot, 5 Mpx camera, removed the premium rubber finish back and sold at lower price point in form of MemoPad HD7. Offcourse proccy also changed.
I am definitely getting inclined towards this, hoping price to not increase on amazon obviously.

Btw it is available on amazon.in through iBhejo at 15,XXX Rs, that is pretty high considering one can get for Under 10K through amazon global.
Wow, i didnt know that we get it cheaper through Amazon Global, than Amazon.in.

Wow, i didnt know that we get it cheaper through Amazon Global, than Amazon.in.

Depends a lot on many factors. So one example that i gave it not conclusive.
A better way would be to ask iBhejo about the quote for this from amazon.com and see what they say.[DOUBLEPOST=1384162502][/DOUBLEPOST]Infact ebay GEB is also giving me 15K and around price.

How about the nokia 520?

Updated:
Never mind. The screen size is 4".

You can also check out phones from Spice. They too come cheap.
Check Spice Coolpad Mi-515 (5" screen) cost~8999 and Spice Coolpad 2 Mi-496 (4.5" screen) cost~5999
These have 1gb ram too, unlike the other cheap phones which have 512Mb.

I would suggest to not opt for the 520 since you will have limitations on the file type. This issue might be resolved with third party players - however, MS is buidling a walled garden too.

Neither the 515 nor the 496 is a good deal due to the smaller battery. Lesser playback time.

UNCONFIRMED : The 496 is based on a MSM8225Q which has a 720p decode limitation.

However, the price point of 6k is sweet, which can be bought down to 5.4K (10% cashback) with HDFC CC or 5.5K with 500 off 5K coupon.[DOUBLEPOST=1384183286][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does the RAM impact the video watching ? Or only the processor matters ?

The RAM and the GPU matter for H/W decoding. Lower RAM may result in lags, while a less powerful GPU may result in going to S/W mode.

I am getting more and more inclined towards the ASUS MemoPad HD 7. Has almost everything what Nexus 7 has + Micro SD Card support and price is almost same. Yes Nexus 7 will have warranty in India. I have read reviews and checked few videos including comparison to Nexus 7.

Btw does ASUS tablets have global warranty ?

Yes the Ram, CPU and GPU matter while playing videos.
My brother has a HCL ME U1.
Even though it has 1 gb ram, it is not able to play Videos properly. The Frame-rates are less I feel.
The same video runs smoothly on my Tab2.
Buying a tab depends on what you want to do with the TAB.

Back