Petition To Stop Indian Railways Wasting Tax Payers Money on Windows.

Lets try and understand some of the points you made so far:

• Windows is a Gamer's OS and no useful work is stable or worth doing on Windows. All TE users are Gamers. Linux also offers games to users.

• gcc, NIS, dhcpd and squid or an free alternative doesn't exist in Windows

• Your system has been running crash free for 1.6 years without any formats

• One must get Vista for using DRM'ed media and conversely DRM'ed media can only play back in Vista. Also people using Vista or any other Microsoft OS don't care a rat's ass about software patents or DRM or the fact that Microsoft sues others.

• If an app crashes in Windows, you need to reboot the machine or just stare at it and there is no way to fix it or you must call certain expert people to get it fixed. Compared to such a poor system, Linux allows you to run gdb to create a stack trace which can then be submitted.

• Contrary to a previous claim where you said you ran crash free, now you say that you have seen linux throw a kernel panic message 2 or 3 times to you.

• The only way for everyone to beat the M$ monopoly is to shift to linux

• Microsoft spreads unnecessary FUD about linux while linux users are nice guys. Richard Stallman is your guru.

Most folks will quickly dismiss [1] as ridiculous as its an unsubstantiated generalization. If you want us to believe so, please provide concrete proof that everyone here is a gamer. Also... I know lots of linux users who are gamers and either use native games like those from id or the erstwhile loki software or use wine to emulate Windows games not so successfully. By your generalization, the only use for linux is games as well.

As for [2]... if the last compiler you have used is Turbo C, well maybe you used windows 3.1 or something because either you never were aware of MS VC++ or Borland C++ or the fact that gcc exists on windows too.

SourceForge.net: gcw. Gcc for Windows

MinGW | Minimalist GNU for Windows

Squid exists for windows. It compiles in VC++ or GCC without doing anything special

Acme Consulting -Società di Consulenza e Formazione Informatica - Torino

squid : Optimising Web Delivery

An NIS server comes free with all versions of windows since XP. All one has to do is install the component. Microsoft even provides a detailed article for the same

HOW TO: Install Server for NIS on Windows for UNIX-to-Windows Migration

There are very many DHCP servers for Windows. Infact the unix dhcpd has been ported to Windows. Plus there are other free ones too.

As for [4], Vista has nothing to do with DRM. You choose if you wish to download DRM'ed media and no one else and it can be played back in any OS... with the exception of Linux. The rest of what you say... well I don't wish to comment.

As for [5], well when X crashes, one faces the same issue as well. Also I bet you have never seen the send error report dialog box that pops up if an app or system crashes and if you submit, it shows an immediate problem resolution if its a known problem. No gdb, no stack trace nothing required.

[3] and [6] are self contradictory. I wonder what the real truth is. Also you claim windows systems BSOD and crash every day. While I'd have agreed a few years ago, I don't agree no more and I don't think others will either. Also for the record, my machine has not required a format since AMD 64 Clawhammer days. I've switched 3 hard drives since then but have not had to change the windows install. I've never faced a blue screen either... unless when I'm massively overclocked.

As for [7].... why linux? why not mac os or any other strain of unix?

As for [8], I have high regard for the work Stallman did on emacs. Its a wonderful editor and he's helped FSF grow but I think he spreads as much FUD about M$ as M$ spreads about linux and other folks aren't much behind. Just look at the FUD above :bleh:

Anyway I'm outta this thread.

zomg!! dada couldnt resist any longer eh :p :p

its pointless dude. this chap will not accept that different ppl have different point of views

Chaos said:
Lets try and understand some of the points you made so far:

• 1.Windows is a Gamer's OS and no useful work is stable or worth doing on Windows. All TE users are Gamers. Linux also offers games to users.
  • 2.gcc, NIS, dhcpd and squid or an free alternative doesn't exist in Windows
  • 3.Your system has been running crash free for 1.6 years without any formats
  • 4.One must get Vista for using DRM'ed media and conversely DRM'ed media can only play back in Vista. Also people using Vista or any other Microsoft OS don't care a rat's ass about software patents or DRM or the fact that Microsoft sues others.
  • 5.If an app crashes in Windows, you need to reboot the machine or just stare at it and there is no way to fix it or you must call certain expert people to get it fixed. Compared to such a poor system, Linux allows you to run gdb to create a stack trace which can then be submitted.
  • 6.Contrary to a previous claim where you said you ran crash free, now you say that you have seen linux throw a kernel panic message 2 or 3 times to you.
  • 7.The only way for everyone to beat the M$ monopoly is to shift to linux
  • 8.Microsoft spreads unnecessary FUD about linux while linux users are nice guys. Richard Stallman is your guru.

Most folks will quickly dismiss [1] as ridiculous as its an unsubstantiated generalization. If you want us to believe so, please provide concrete proof that everyone here is a gamer. Also... I know lots of linux users who are gamers and either use native games like those from id or the erstwhile loki software or use wine to emulate Windows games not so successfully. By your generalization, the only use for linux is games as well.

As for [2]... if the last compiler you have used is Turbo C, well maybe you used windows 3.1 or something because either you never were aware of MS VC++ or Borland C++ or the fact that gcc exists on windows too.

SourceForge.net: gcw. Gcc for Windows

MinGW | Minimalist GNU for Windows

Squid exists for windows. It compiles in VC++ or GCC without doing anything special

Acme Consulting -Società di Consulenza e Formazione Informatica - Torino

squid : Optimising Web Delivery

An NIS server comes free with all versions of windows since XP. All one has to do is install the component. Microsoft even provides a detailed article for the same

HOW TO: Install Server for NIS on Windows for UNIX-to-Windows Migration

There are very many DHCP servers for Windows. Infact the unix dhcpd has been ported to Windows. Plus there are other free ones too.

As for [4], Vista has nothing to do with DRM. You choose if you wish to download DRM'ed media and no one else and it can be played back in any OS... with the exception of Linux. The rest of what you say... well I don't wish to comment.

As for [5], well when X crashes, one faces the same issue as well. Also I bet you have never seen the send error report dialog box that pops up if an app or system crashes and if you submit, it shows an immediate problem resolution if its a known problem. No gdb, no stack trace nothing required.

[3] and [6] are self contradictory. I wonder what the real truth is. Also you claim windows systems BSOD and crash every day. While I'd have agreed a few years ago, I don't agree no more and I don't think others will either. Also for the record, my machine has not required a format since AMD 64 Clawhammer days. I've switched 3 hard drives since then but have not had to change the windows install. I've never faced a blue screen either... unless when I'm massively overclocked.

As for [7].... why linux? why not mac os or any other strain of unix?

As for [8], I have high regard for the work Stallman did on emacs. Its a wonderful editor and he's helped FSF grow but I think he spreads as much FUD about M$ as M$ spreads about linux and other folks aren't much behind. Just look at the FUD above :bleh:

Anyway I'm outta this thread.

then ,as you are insisting ,let us see :

the points you put forward are not in a correct way .still ,

1.yes ,most of the chaps are into gaming ,h/w modding etc :) .be it windows XP or vista(very rare !!) ,I am still saying ! I can prove ! windows CANNOT be stable. be it on your near by DTP shop to computer training centre to INFOSYS ! and reg vista ,it simply gets formatted once customer seeing it:rofl:it all goes to the window$ core ,which is NOT stable.

2.show me ,where did I said that !:tongue:

3. what I meant was ,unlike winblow$ showing BSOD ,Linux still give you chance ,what is going wrong :)

yes.it can be said !.few applications may fail.but SYSTEM still runs fine.I can force quite any apps unlike win XP 3 fingure salute and trying to kill some app which *may* succeed or not.

Once HDD failed .just took the image and extracted into the alternate HDD's new partition.thats it.still running fine.now ?

4. Can you let me know how you play a encrypted HD Video on XP ? I dont know. :|:no:

5.you said it!:hap2: .If X crashes 90% latest Xorg bullet-proof X fires up.In older version of X , press ctrl+alt+backspace. now?

6.not on my current installation.I used to triple boot with ubuntu and archlinux(very nice one!) along with the old workhorse Debian.

I do help others by installing GNU/Linux.few distros fails on their PC's first try due to random problems .some time it is ACPI or missing driver for Jmicron controller.it was past. latest distro means more hardware support.

genuine kernel panic - yes. with suselinux 9.1 .it is now 3-4 years back ?

7.I will love to say that !:bleh: but ,yes it is the PC users option. I'd like to recommend them GNU/Linux or BSDs(which are a bit rough).but NOT mac OS X. apple is another propreitary corpn same as Microsoft is ! because FOSS is what should bring the change !

8.you agreed ? truth only ?

Now ?

praka123 said:
I can prove ! windows CANNOT be stable. be it on your near by DTP shop to computer training centre to INFOSYS ! and reg vista ,it simply gets formatted once customer seeing it:rofl:it all goes to the window$ core ,which is NOT stable.

QFT.

Please prove that windows systems at Infosys are not stable. I know some sysadmins there who I'm sure can prove you wrong. but you say no. lets see some proof then.

else kindly refrain from posting further allegations.

^thats lame.should I have to go to infosys to prove that windows is not stable ?why not you ppl urself uninstall all AV,spyware and browse for around for minutes ? :D

I think we'l let Chaos dada let take care of him..I feel pwnage is very near..

@praka..
Read what questions were raised, and what answers you gave..Either you dont understand english or maybe its an easier way out by just ignoring the relevant points..

What's lame is that you cannot back your own argument. arguments are useless unless they are backed by the truth. Something which you're finding hard to reconcile with.

I have answered already.but it is ,easy to aruge that the answer is wrong. :D

@monger :you want that fella to own me ?Lets see :D

Now ,the problem ,most of the window$ users feels is I questioned the stability of Window$ .really ppl ! Window$ aint that stable as you presume.

All my systems in my TCS branch have either XP or Vista..... and I can vouch for atleast 20 computers near me that have vista installed that have never crashed with BSOD or needed a format....

We don't plat games on our office computers..... We do serious work which according to you is not even possible :rofl:

Man why can't u stop arguing.... U have made a good OS like linux become something sort of ur personal way to vent ur frustration at microsoft :no:

I use both at home...

Linux home server as its light

Windows for other systems

The way you are goin now....u might get banned from TE too.....

ronnie_gogs said:
All my systems in my TCS branch have either XP or Vista..... and I can vouch for atleast 20 computers near me that have vista installed that have never crashed with BSOD or needed a format....

We don't plat games on our office computers..... We do serious work which according to you is not even possible :rofl:

Man why can't u stop arguing.... U have made a good OS like linux become something sort of ur personal way to vent ur frustration at microsoft :no:

I use both at home...

Linux home server as its light

Windows for other systems

The way you are goin now....u might get banned from TE too.....

Thats truly unbelievable man !:O XPs and Vistas without crashing ?you should give back that copies to M$ ,so that they can make such window$(pss...is those window$ actually are Linux/*nix ,you may have swapped between windows and Linux words. dont you?) normally I have seen these OS running hardly for a month and then they gets formatted again reinstalled. LOL! like you can schedule a bash script?

Next Problem :the very thing of questioning the ethical ,technical weakness of Window$ made the |users to attack me.that means ,Sin Prevails:(

Reg banning ? anyone cared to go through this thread? who started the FUD ? One monger who spread FUD about Linux. I have seen BS posts questioning stability of Linux !WTF ?:hap5:

praka123 said:
I have answered already.but it is ,easy to aruge that the answer is wrong.
What the hell have you answered dude??
That guys works in infosys, he works on the comps that u claim are unstable and crash everyday.
HE HIMSELF SAYS THAT THEY ARE ALL VERY STABLE>>>
Who should know better???
Really the only thing you are doing around here is proving how desperate linux fanboi's are, that too at the cost of genuine linux supporters..
I think even most linux users here will agree that this guy is talking crap here..:mad:

praka123 said:
Thats truly unbelievable man ! XPs and Vistas without crashing ?you should give back that copies to M$ ,so that they can make such window$(pss...is those window$ actually are Linux/*nix ,you may have swapped between windows and Linux words. dont you?) normally I have seen these OS running hardly for a month and then they gets formatted again reinstalled. LOL! like you can schedule a bash script?

Next Problem :the very thing of questioning the ethical ,technical weakness of Window$ made the |users to attack me.that means ,Sin Prevails

Reg banning ? anyone cared to go through this thread? who started the FUD ? One monger who spread FUD about Linux. I have seen BS posts questioning stability of Linux !WTF ?

WTF???
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
really..
We all respect linux..Im saying this for the N'th time..which part of it doesnt make it to your brain???

praka123 said:
Thats truly unbelievable man !:O XPs and Vistas without crashing ?you should give back that copies to M$ ,so that they can make such window$(pss...is those window$ actually are Linux/*nix ,you may have swapped between windows and Linux words. dont you?) normally I have seen these OS running hardly for a month and then they gets formatted again reinstalled. LOL! like you can schedule a bash script?

Next Problem :the very thing of questioning the ethical ,technical weakness of Window$ made the |users to attack me.that means ,Sin Prevails:(

Reg banning ? anyone cared to go through this thread? who started the FUD ? One monger who spread FUD about Linux. I have seen BS posts questioning stability of Linux !WTF ?:hap5:

Praka dude..Take a chill pill. Linux rocks for you, so enjoy it. People like windows better, let them enjoy it. You can highlight the benefits that people gain from using Linux over windows. However, you cannot shove Linux down the throat of every person.

I say again. Highlight the benefits that people gain from using Linux over windows and then let THEM decide what they want. Peace.

@monger:

No. I should prove Window$ in INFOSYS are NOT stable.you want that ?

my dear kid ,please refer this thread of infosys .not enough eh? :mad: dont bug me literally for every words.

https://www.ce-infosys.com/cei_forum/viewtopic.php?t=98&sid=13de044a6910e0a8e9ac9f20de986d97

@Pat : no , I already told you the reason. I am like a cat playing with a bunch of rats here. they dont want to learn the better OS. I will never force them.let them rot with their window$.why me?

Party Monger said:
Really the only thing you are doing around here is proving how desperate linux fanboi's are, that too at the cost of genuine linux supporters..

Please don't generalize and try to avoid the swears.

Pat said:
Praka dude..Take a chill pill. Linux rocks for you, so enjoy it. People like windows better, let them enjoy it. You can highlight the benefits that people gain from using Linux over windows. However, you cannot shove Linux down the throat of every person.

I say again. Highlight the benefits that people gain from using Linux over windows and then let THEM decide what they want. Peace.

+1 to that.
i support linux.
love ubuntu(yet to let me down)

but this post got misdirected from railways to Microsoft vs vista.

praka , u went out the way a few times.

but party monger was no saint either.
guys the amount of discussion we had on railways behalf would do any country proud.:)

all hail our community:clap: :clap:
all hail te:hap2: :hap2:

praka123 said:
@Pat : no , I already told you the reason. I am like a cat playing with a bunch of rats here. they dont want to learn the better OS. I will never force them.let them rot with their window$.why me?

If they don't want to learn, then stop teaching them. Period.

dude..

:lol:

German Security Technology

CE-Infosys, founded in 1981, Germany, is one of the world's leading developer and manufacturer of advanced network and data security systems. The company offices located in Germany, Singapore and United Arab Emirates with a network of partners worldwide.

CE-Infosys provides security product and solutions to international customers and top-ranking companies in the corporate and government sector. With technology leadership in the encryption for data and networks, CE-Infosys offers unparallel expertise in cryptography, security design, security management, and smart card applications.

Experience

ps-by implication from the post which you are linking to above... are you a 'weak hearted' linux fanboi? if you had any sense you would have ignore what you dont trust/believe. to get sucked in coz of that post... sheesh

Back