Video Philips 29" HD-Ready CRT TV

Yep. Only through PC if you wana go HD on this crt.

The sad thing is not that this TV does not have HDMI input. The sad thing is these darn player makers making the upscaling only on HDMI.

Thats not true HD so there should be no reason why they should now allow upscaling over DVI or component. ITs the ***** RIAA forcing this lame thing on the player makers when they have no right to do so and these hardware manufacturers actually entertaining RIAA on upscaling restriction.

I don't see one point here, how can one enjoy the resolution advantages of 720/1080 on a 4:3 aspect ratio:S
More than 40% of the picture will be black banded top & bottom edges. If u scale it to 16:9 or pan/scan it in VLC or other player, the AR will be f'ked up stretching vertically. The bands will be broader on anamorphic DVDs like the new ADLABS mastered ones. U simply can't push Video's at their full potential on a non Wide screen display.

In my opinion, its waste to invest on a 4:3 display unless ur really tight on budget. I know the difference is a little much:) but then its ur pocket that decides it.:clap:

arrow055 said:
I have the 34 inch model of this tv.Costed me around 37k.But one of the best tvs around.Mine can do 1080p so it's possible that the 29 inch model supports 1080p too.
34" for 37K :huh:

can u tell the model number ??????????

samueldotj said:
NeoDigits | HELIOS Network High Definition Divx Streaming Media DVD Player

This DVD player supports 1080p upscaling via Component-In. But dont know how to buy it here.

The results of upscaling are not that great as they are hyped up to be. I used to watch DVDs on my 32" LCD via my PC on MCE without FFDshow upscaling just the normal zoom. Now I have read and started using zoom player with Nvidia Pure video and ffdshow filter upscaling the picture to double the resolution. Results are mix. DVDs are fine in upscaling but your normal divx and xvid becomes quite grainy. I guess one really needs true HD content for HD supported TVs and this upscaling etc are just a cheap workaround.

yes only True progressive anamorphic DVD's can be upscaled properly, not all. the Xvid's w'd rather always Tear & Blead because of the Chroma optimisation done during encoding, ghosty artifacts speacially seen in black or darker scenes.

The Sony DB 29 is worth every penny...
Its a DRc model and has 100Hz scanning in interlaces... I suggest u don use it.. makes text fizzy.. Use DRC Progressive u can really make out the difference...
It does support 720p or 1080i... No HDMI so it has to be thru component... Only way u can test is HD graphics card on comp with rgb out to tv...
Its an amazing product...

Why would you need hdmi? Don't hd-dvd players have component output? So why can't hd content be played on this tv? And this tv does have component in.

^^^ They do have component, but it's the manufacturers who block HD content via component (guess, a request from MPAA), although some players are available (including xbox 360 hd dvd player) that have that ability . Also, some people have found hacks to enable HD via component in players that block it too. So watching HD TV via component might not be a problem on this TV, all you need to get is a capable.

Yes it is, I don't own it but have seen it along side regular televisions at a dealer. You'll notice the 100 Hz by the lesser amount of flicker in this model.

hi ppl..am new to this forum...could any suggest a good 29"crt tv between

the price range of rs 25000-30000..after a bit of googlin i have end up with

samsung CS-29Z40 and philips 29PT8836/94..

Have googled a lot for both these TV's, but nothing concrete, that makes / proves one better over the other.
Can any member enlighten me?
Which TV should i buy?
1. samsung CS-29Z40
2. philips 29PT8836/94

Go for Philips 29PT8836/94.It supports the full hi-def resolution of 1080p and costs around 25 k.The only downside is there is no HDMI. This is the cheapest HD tv available in india.

I would also recommend the Philips.I own a Philips HD ready crt myself(chk my sig) and the video clarity is gr8 esp. when using progressive scan.
I had the Samsung T10 crt tv b4 Philips and there's a huge diff. in terms of both the picture clarity and the build quality.Also i had lots of problems/repairs with the Samsung model due to which i returned it and got the Philips.Take a couple of dvds like The Matrix and Finding Nemo and test both tvs side by side if possible with similar settings at the showroom and u will know.
But having said that, i would like u to consider going for an LCD coz after u buy a CRT u will want the LCD as yeh dil maange more.But if the budget is tight,then by all means go for the Philips 29PT8836/94.

Back