Video Philips 29" HD-Ready CRT TV

thanks amigoatul and arrow055 for ur insights..am goin for philips...it costs 21.5k in chennai..sony's 100hz costs around 34k..it seems prices have come down for philips..now the decision is simple..

i have a Samsung 29Z40 and before buying i had checked both the philips and the samsung side by side and frankly speaking did not find any differance in performance from both of them. Finally went for Samsung as i got a good deal on exchange and it costed me 23k (In Dec 06) after exchanging my old TV and also was bit sceptic of Philips ASS.

I am very happy with the performance of my TV. You can go for either Philips or Samsung both are good.

@jkunal...dude i spent 2 weeks on this 100hz crt..i have finally got philips 29PT8836/94..trust me it is da best crt for the price you won't be disappointed..sony is outt of the equation becos of the price..it is a finally toss up between samsung and philips..i took a dvd to put both into test...imho samsung doesn't hold a candle to philips in terms of picture quality..only shortfall for philips is picture in picture feature..

philips 100hz has very good reviews all around..moreover in avs forum some ppl had problems pertaing to slimfit tv's from samsung..i don't know how far it is true..but purely interms of picture quality and price philips wins handsdown..i got philips 29PT8836/94 for 21.5k in chennai and samsung is around 27k..am posting some reviews which might help you..pm me if you need any more info

PC World India: Flat Screen Face-Off

Big fat Philips 'HDTV Ready' CRT lack HDMI

I am considering buying this TV, i would like to ask one thing to all the owner of this Phillips TV, has anyone tried viewing HD videos from their PC on this Phillips TV.

If yes what cable u used - is it VGA to component or DVI to component cable?

Whats the process - did u changed ur desktop resolution to 720p (1280x720) or 1080i (1920x1080) to watch respective HD videos!

This is important for me as i want to watch the HD movies ( currently i have around 10 movies) & HD music videos that i have in my PC through this TV, otherwise it would be useless buying a HD ready TV if i cannot watch HD videos on it.

Thanks in Advance!!

I had done this research around a couple of years back. Wanted to buy a 29inch CRT set and there were three models at that time, Sony (Around 39K), Philips(Around 37K) and Samsung (30K). The Sammie had a thinner profile as compared to the rest. However picturewise the Samsung was beaten hollow by the Philips and Sony.
Atthat time, I had camped for close to an hour in Spencer plaza (forget the electronic store but the biggest there in the ground floor) and checked out a few DVDs on my DVD player using component on all three.

The Samsung appeared to lack in colour and blacks. Between Philips and Sony there was a subtle difference. Both reproduced the colour tones differently. My wife liked the Sony's reproduction of colour while I preferred the Philips. Even in image clarity, philips was sharper and a hint of grain while the Sony was softer and less grainy (compared to the Philips). I could make this out while watching cable through sat.

I held off buying the crt set finally though for altogether different reasons but had made up my mind to go for the Philips.

Later I got myself an LCD but while watching cable, I feel CRTs better LCDs. However with DVDs and HDTV nothing beats the smoothness of the LCD. I don't watch too much action but using my HTPC (8800 GTS card), the movies are brilliant as compared to my el cheapo dvdp.

Philips servicing I am not sure but have heard a lot of hearsay. I have not come across an actual dissatisfied customer who had a bad experience but Philips seems to have this reputation of having bad after sales support.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Philips 29PT8836/94 Pixel Plus TV. It is not 1080p and so how much does one really lose out on that one, not right now, but looking at the near future.

whats the use of HD on this TV since it doesnt have HDMI or DVI port . so its HD can only be used for XBOX360 via HD component cable.

Back