Budget 15-20K Phone Purchase in a few days! EDIT: Bought LG Optimus L9

shanx

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 15-20k(may go up by 1k-1.5k)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT/LCD/AMOLED
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Indian or Chinese local brands!
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Anything with more than 5MP and need a secondary camera
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows ( Open to both)
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G(NFC would also be appreciated!)
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Internet/Messaging/Camera/Lots of whatsapp and skype/Calling
10. Any other requirements?
A: I don't want a dual sim phone!
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lumia 720
Xperia ION

Galaxy Note

I have considered the other three but am also willing to look around for more! Please suggest some good phones in this price bracket!
Thanks a ton guys!

ok! but the nexus still seems fragile as many people have reported the glass cracking due to temperature changes!
I was considering the lumia 720 but too many complaints on the touchscreen just refusing to work!
I am back to the drawing board here! don't know which phone to pick now! :( :( :'(

Don't think soo much mate, you cant go wrong with a Nexus, those cracking changes are due to the vast difference between the phone temp and the surface temp, i bet you wont be able to achieve that even if you wanted to.

Trust it with your eyes closed.

ok! but the nexus still seems fragile as many people have reported the glass cracking due to temperature changes!
I was considering the lumia 720 but too many complaints on the touchscreen just refusing to work!
I am back to the drawing board here! don't know which phone to pick now! :( :( :'(
Forums make a problem look much worse than it actually is since the first thing that all unlucky people do is goto forums and rant about how bad the phone is etc etc.Glass breaking due to temperature changes is extremely rare.Besides,there is a warranty.
Yes N4 is a little fragile and you do need a case.But which phone doesnt??;)

BDW I believe to extract the true potential of N4,you have to root.
Reason:Nexus 4 has strong thermal throttling by default and washed out screen.If you are not open to rooting i believe S3 would be a better buy.

23k can get you xperia SP. 27k can get you ZR. Both beat the Nexus4, S3, One X in majority of benchmarks. If only SP had a better contrast screen, it would be a no brainer at 23k

Thanks a ton guys for all your inputs. After weighing out all the pros and cons, it seems logical to not spend anything over 20k for a year. Once i go abroad i will change my phone. So for now will settle with the Lumia 720. :)

Will post a review a week after i get it :)
PS : It will be my first review :) :)

if not benchmarks; whats the other standard? Obviously my or your experience alone cannot be generalized.[DOUBLEPOST=1372524654][/DOUBLEPOST]
A phone can be made to perform better in benchmarks through javascript optimizations.Nexus phones are never known to perform in benchmarks.In real world performance it is a beast.Also,it is known to provide the smoothest android experience.

A phone can be made to perform better in benchmarks through javascript optimizations.Nexus phones are never known to perform in benchmarks.In real world perfophe it is a beast.Also,it is known to provide the smoothest android experience.
Couldn't agree more... As sarthak mentiioned Nexus 4 is one of the most VFM device available in the market... I own this device and really love it... I have installed CM 10.1 Stable Rom on this device and this phone operates like a dream now... Installing CM 10.1 solved the commonly known overheating issue... And this is a beast phone handles everygame and app without breaking a sweat... Yup its a fragile phone... A bit more than other aluminium body cellphones... But which phone isn't? Any phone can get damaged if abused extremely... Todays touchscreen phones are not that rugged as compared to the keypad phones that we used to use a decade ago... I know you have zeroed down on to Lumia 720... But still if u can spend around 25k then consider this as you would be losing the customization option and openess which Android OS offers once you would switch to windows...

Yeah i did consider that. However i already own an Android Tablet and its on 4.2 jellybean CM10.1 , so all my gaming needs are taken care of on it. Plus a few months down the line i want to get a nexus 7. So will take the 720 now and invest in a tab. At the end of the day my phone is just used for messaging and calls, i dont game much on my phone. And yes the fragility factor also exists! I dont want to risk it now. So the Lumia 720 it is for now and a nexus 7 ( will the new one launch soon?) for later. :)

Yeah i did consider that. However i already own an Android Tablet and its on 4.2 jellybean CM10.1 , so all my gaming needs are taken care of on it. Plus a few months down the line i want to get a nexus 7. So will take the 720 now and invest in a tab. At the end of the day my phone is just used for messaging and calls, i dont game much on my phone. And yes the fragility factor also exists! I dont want to risk it now. So the Lumia 720 it is for now and a nexus 7 ( will the new one launch soon?) for later. :)

Lumia 720 is really a good choice, don't know why people in these forums do not reommend wp8 devices. Lumia 720 has best specs you can get at this price range.

People who suggest not to buy wp8 devices , pls grow up, problems like less video format support is not going to effect users as many only use mp4 and it's perfectly supported and people speaking of customization, it only makes device laggy and legginess is not tolerable in wp8 that's why microsoft will never allow customization.

^^ Dude are you kidding me ? WP8 is ok for people who use the phone for basic stuff but for people used to a diverse and well featured OS like Android will simply *hate* WP8.

The OP has an Android Tablet to take care of his apps so for him the Lumia is a good bet. For a lot of other people its crap. First off the game market is so darn lacking its a joke ! My sis never plays games and even she hates WP8 for the utter lack of good games as sometimes she likes to try games. So many free games on Android are paid games on WP8 including the FULL Angry birds suite.

Lastly there is no file manager on WP8. So documents stored on certain folders CANNOT be accessed at all ! All in all I would be most disappointed if I used a WP8 device. Its still got a long way for it to be competitive with iOS or even Android.

I don't know what your issue with documents. You can place any document like pdf,doc,xls and ppt are recognised by phone when placed in documents folder in phones memory. Is it that difficult to place any document in documents folder in phones memory. And for any multimedia file place it anywhere,and its easily recognizable by video and music players.

And what you mean by diverse environment many essential apps are available for,wp8 and games are paid because they developed games for wp8 by recruiting windows phone developers and it costs good money. And I also dont know what do you mean by well featured because wp8 is going to have every feature in next updates cause microsft supports every phone for 18 months at least.

Please not a Droid vs WP8 here. I own a droid and hate it. I own an iOS device too. Personally I like iOS and hate droids in terms of supporting a device where not many phones are upgraded to next iteration where as iPhone 4 - released on iOS 4 getting iOS 7. Also please do not forget once Android was also in nascent stage when it didn't have many apps and features. Also at that time there was not any well established OS in smartphone market like Android today is. WP8 is facing a well established OS here.

One more vicious cycle for WP8. Developers want to develop apps/games for a platform which is having a large spread comparatively to a smaller spread of WP8. Consumers want to buy smartphones with vast app availability. So consumer wont buy WP8 device citing lack of apps and developer wont develop apps or make games free citing lack of devices.

Back