Budget 20-25K Phone with Clean(ish) OS

weblabourer

Disciple

General :

Budget -

What is your budget? Mention Locality/Currency & Price Range.

(e.g.) INR 20k-25k.

New or Used? Online or in-store?

(e.g.) New. Online.In-Store

Brand -

Do you have any brand preference or dislikes? Please name them.

Any brand is fine as long as there are no intrusive ads which cannot be disabled or shady apps which cannot be uninstalled

Usage -

What is your intended use?

(e.g.) Casual - Calls, texts & Browsing , no gaming

What is your expected battery backup?

(e.g.) A full day of use with 5+ hours of screen-on time.

How long are you intending to use this phone?

(e.g.) Should run fine for 3+ years.

Connectivity -

What is your preferred network?

(i.e.) 4G (or) 5G etc.

What is the number of connections required?

Dual Sim is must

Platform :

Operating System (OS) -​

Do you have any OS preference?

(i.e.) Android

RAM & Storage -

How much RAM and Storage do you want?

6 and 128 Minimum

Do you want a memory card slot?

No

Processing power -​

If you have an idea of how much processing power you'd need mention here, else feel free to ignore.

Enough speed for daily usage

Display :

What is your preferred display size, type, resolution and refresh rate?

Any

Mention any specific requirements here.

LTPO preferred, curved display not preferred

Miscellaneous :

Any other requirements?

If you have already considered a phone, then please mention.

Moto Edge 50 Neo, Nothing 2a, Nord CE 4

If any requirement takes a higher priority than other, mention here.

Overall quality preferred over lots of fancy features

Nothing 2a hands down for you, the 12+256 was on sale for 25k, you missed it by a couple of days, only other phone with a clean OS is motorola, and I wont recommend it, 50 neo is smaller, battery is smaller too and while Moto has promised 5 years of updates, even their year old flagships gets major android updates after almost an year after the update was released, e.g. Edge 30 Fusion/Ultra just received A14 now, and while the updates used to be stable back then, they have now taken to removing functionality from their older phones and they are not even bringing new features to even their flagships.

Nothing 2a hands down for you, the 12+256 was on sale for 25k, you missed it by a couple of days, only other phone with a clean OS is motorola, and I wont recommend it, 50 neo is smaller, battery is smaller too and while Moto has promised 5 years of updates, even their year old flagships gets major android updates after almost an year after the update was released, e.g. Edge 30 Fusion/Ultra just received A14 now, and while the updates used to be stable back then, they have now taken to removing functionality from their older phones and they are not even bringing new features to even their flagships.
Thanks, nothing 2a seems to be enough with the smaller variant
Any precautions to be taken while ordering since its only available on Flipkart

Thanks, nothing 2a seems to be enough with the smaller variant
Any precautions to be taken while ordering since its only available on Flipkart
I saw Nothing Phones available on the Vijay Sales website earlier, with some discounted/sale prices, so it might be worth checking if they have them available in a nearby store to you. I guess the bank/other offers might be different from Flipkart though.

I saw them available on the Croma website as well, but they were priced higher there.

I bought the edge 50 neo mostly because of the size, and I love it. Sure, smaller battery yada yada, but it's so easy to hold, carry and use. It's also the same size as the Poco F1, and with my usage, usually lasts me a whole day.

This Sunday I had a SOT of 13hrs, with 4hrs of video calling and it took like 1.2 charges, with me trying to keep it between 20 and 80%. I did not have earphones connected, so it was mostly just on the phone's speaker, which are plenty loud ngl

Most days, I charge it around 80% and by the time I'm home, I'm usually around 60% to 50% with very light use (checking messages, taking a pic or two and so on).

Its set to auto brightness btw, works good enough for me, and is normally visible during sunlight. Also, somehow lasts a lot longer than Galaxy S23 (my roomie has that), with him keeping that phone on minimum brightness lol
I kinda wanna write a review on this, but my experience with personally owning smartphones is not that good lol. This is my 3rd smartphone xd

I bought the edge 50 neo mostly because of the size, and I love it. Sure, smaller battery yada yada, but it's so easy to hold, carry and use. It's also the same size as the Poco F1, and with my usage, usually lasts me a whole day.

This Sunday I had a SOT of 13hrs, with 4hrs of video calling and it took like 1.2 charges, with me trying to keep it between 20 and 80%. I did not have earphones connected, so it was mostly just on the phone's speaker, which are plenty loud ngl

Most days, I charge it around 80% and by the time I'm home, I'm usually around 60% to 50% with very light use (checking messages, taking a pic or two and so on).

Its set to auto brightness btw, works good enough for me, and is normally visible during sunlight. Also, somehow lasts a lot longer than Galaxy S23 (my roomie has that), with him keeping that phone on minimum brightness lol
I kinda wanna write a review on this, but my experience with personally owning smartphones is not that good lol. This is my 3rd smartphone xd
13hrs of SOT is unheard of for me, even with non-stop usage. As a fellow compact phone lover, great choice. Size is the biggest concern for my S20FE & this is small compared to phones like OP12, S23U, iPhone Pro Max, etc.

Congrats

13hrs of SOT is unheard of for me, even with non-stop usage. As a fellow compact phone lover, great choice. Size is the biggest concern for my S20FE & this is small compared to phones like OP12, S23U, iPhone Pro Max, etc.

Congrats
I was quite surprised myself, but most of Sunday night was on video call, and most of the day I was outside with GPS, or inside house and on video call again lol

So it's quite possible I just left it on, on the desk while I was cooking. Or moving around.

For reference, my usual SOT is between 3h and 4h.

Congrats
He's not charging to 100% so the sot counter isn't being reset. Also he mentioned charging a second time or I read it that way.

There is no way to achieve 13 sot on a single charge that too for a smaller phone

He's not charging to 100% so the sot counter isn't being reset. Also he mentioned charging a second time or I read it that way.

There is no way to achieve 13 sot on a single charge that too for a smaller phone
Its set to auto brightness btw,
but most of Sunday night was on video call, and most of the day I was outside with GPS, or inside house and on video call again lol

The higher SOT is because of the LTPO display combined with the phone set to auto-brightness.

LTPO displays generally provide the best results when the brightness levels are between 40-50%. And with the brightness set to auto, the display almost manages itself, leading to higher battery life. The results will be worse if the brightness is set manually to higher or lower brightness levels than the median range.

Also, during video calls, the phone's screen is rarely interacted with, allowing the display to drop the refresh rate to its lowest (1/30/60 Hz).

All these factors likely contributed to the higher SOT.

Last edited:
The higher SOT is because of the LTPO display combined with the phone set to auto-brightness.

LTPO displays generally provide the best results when the brightness levels are between 40-50%. And with the brightness set to auto, the display almost manages itself, leading to higher battery life. The results will be worse if the brightness is set manually to higher or lower brightness levels than the median range.

Also, during video calls, the phone's screen is rarely interacted with, allowing the display to drop the refresh rate to its lowest (1 Hz).

All these factors likely contributed to the higher SOT.
Thanks but I'm sticking with my previous reply.

Good battery life

Attachments

• edge-50-neo-review-camera-battery-software-bugs-v0-5pn9eutjhord1.jpg
    edge-50-neo-review-camera-battery-software-bugs-v0-5pn9eutjhord1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Yeah, charged it twice at different intervals, and upto 80%

I measured SOT using Digital Wellbeing lol, idk how else to measure it.

If you mean continuously using it, then SOT would probably be like 5h to 7h for 100% charge. Haven't tested it though.

@AINDRASIS_GUPTA Video calls need 60Hz refresh, since the screen must refresh to show the video properly. And video calls by themselves are really heavy on the phone, since you need to run the camera, show and stream something live all the time.

I've attached the pictures below. Most of the time on WhatsApp and Discord were video calls, and Insta is... insta.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241015-224429_Battery care.png
    Screenshot_20241015-224429_Battery care.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20241015-224448_Digital Wellbeing.png
    Screenshot_20241015-224448_Digital Wellbeing.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
@KAKAN any issues with auto brightness on the Edge 50 Neo? I mean is it responsive enough and smooth enough? I am also thinking of upgrading to this phone as I'm quite sure there won't be a small phone like this in this price bracket for a long time now (maybe ever), and Moto phones these days don't seem to get any price cuts even after 1 year.

Yes, that is typically how sot readings are taken. Anything 7h and above for sot is excellent.
Oh oof. Sorry. I have no idea how to take SOT readings then unless I'm planning it lol

You must have strong cell signal where you are
Nah, usually between 3 and 5 bars, and also keeps switching between 5G and 4G to the point that I want to disable 5G lol
Because if you're on a call and it switches from 5G to 4G, the call drops for a few seconds.

@KAKAN any issues with auto brightness on the Edge 50 Neo? I mean is it responsive enough and smooth enough? I am also thinking of upgrading to this phone as I'm quite sure there won't be a small phone like this in this price bracket for a long time now (maybe ever), and Moto phones these days don't seem to get any price cuts even after 1 year.
Hmm, it is smooth, but it adjusts itself quite a lot sometimes, especially when you switch between lit and semi-lit rooms a few times when holding it. My brother's S23+ fared better at this, though this might get improved? But this is on the extreme end. Normally, it's really good.

But yeah, it is smooth. I had auto brightness off for every other phone because they changed too suddenly and got too bright or too dim, this one works much better.

Also, the review from reddit that was shared above does sum it up. I don't mind the camera quality stuff, but it indeed lags on the viewfinder. Again, I don't mind it as much, since I don't take a lot of pictures, but do be careful about it if you're the type that takes a lot of pictures haha

Moto phones do have a good battery life so I'm not surprised if OP is indeed getting a good SOT, thought 13 hours is a bit much, even my edge 30 fusion with a toaster of a 888+ gave me 7-8 hours of SOT when I first got it and after 2 years, still gives me 6 hours+ SOT and lasts almost a full day, caveat being I dont use 5g

Back