PiHole should be a must

I managed to install and configure pihole in my new rPi 4 . Im pretty new to this.. Thanks to everyone for providing pointers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 3.05.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 3.05.21 PM.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 148
Just my findings

Pi Hole will not allow to Cast or Open Skillshare dot com
Pi Hole will not allow to run Mx Player TV Streaming App

Until or unless 'Disabled'

P.S: - I know fellow members are already guided how to add just the desired entry of the website in the White List and go ahead but that also void my primary intention to use of Pi Hole which is ad free acess Indian News Portal from mobile devices. Adding one by one tracking website open the whole thing.

Can anyone confirm that YouTube ads can be blocked with PiHole or not? A quick Google search tells me that its pretty hit or miss situation. The Youtube video ads are getting ridiculous day by day. Since yesterday, Adblock & Adbolck Plus extensions are also not able to block them.

Can anyone confirm that YouTube ads can be blocked with PiHole or not? A quick Google search tells me that its pretty hit or miss situation. The Youtube video ads are getting ridiculous day by day. Since yesterday, Adblock & Adbolck Plus extensions are also not able to block them.
Nope, I tried a lot. But it's not possible to block all ads without breaking the site.

I'm using uBlock origin on PC and YouTube vanced on android both are working fine.

From what I've seen PiHole won't able to block YT ads.

uBlock Origin I am using for YT ads.

If it doesn't work on YT, then I don't think I would wanna waste 2.5k on it. Everything else is pretty much taken care of by adblock. AdGuard for Safari is currently working for YouTube ads, will see when it also stops working.

If it doesn't work on YT, then I don't think I would wanna waste 2.5k on it. Everything else is pretty much taken care of by adblock. AdGuard for Safari is currently working for YouTube ads, will see when it also stops working.
Yes, I feel there are good free ad blockers which does the job pretty well. But you can use rPi for lots of other stuffs. I mean there are loads of projects available on the internet for RaspberryPi. I use my Raspberry pi 4b for hosting pi-hole , BitWarden(Self hosted service), Duplicati (backs up Bitwarden password sqlDB directly to my google drive) and Portainer for managing the Docker containers. In the future I will install OpenMediaVault or NextCloud for personal cloud/NAS service (need to do more in-depth research on this to figure out which is more suitable for me).

EDIT: Also pihole doesn't really need an rPi , you can deploy it in any environment.

Last edited:
YouTube premium is really not that expensive in india at 129 month per person, 189 for a family of six and 79 for students. Instead of wasting time figuring out a way to block ads, buying YT premium is better IMO. You get background playback without modded apks and YT Music.

YouTube premium is really not that expensive in india at 129 month per person, 189 for a family of six and 79 for students. Instead of wasting time figuring out a way to block ads, buying YT premium is better IMO. You get background playback without modded apks and YT Music.
see this - before opting for subscription

Also I had tried one of the method where python script generates the domains for Ads on YouTube (available as Gist on GitHub), but the problem with this approach is it sometimes interfere with the Videos too and we need to run that Python script frequently using Crontab

Here is the script link for those who want to try - https://github.com/kboghdady/youTube_ads_4_pi-hole

And if you are able to subs under a group then it is INR 31.5 p/mo - which is awesome, Also this Premium is worth more if you Chrome Cast a lot. Yes YT Vanced and Smart YT TV do this also but most often I noticed they don't maintain History accurately when Casting, So you get already watched videos again and again on the home page.

P.S :- The First YT Sharing Group at TE for 1 year already formed this Week, The Admin (Account Manager) did the heavy lifting by setting up everything- Thanks to @ Thread Starter, wish them a happy journey, Hope Google don't cause any trouble for them.

I have been using AdGuard Home, much much simpler to set up than PiHole. I have it running on my dedicated HomeAssistant machine as a docker container :artist:
I was running Pi-hole on WSL but had the DNS server suddenly stop running and refusing to restart. Adguard Home is not available on Windows and I had to figure it out myself, but got it running on WSL at boot.

Seems much more stable and the UI is clean enough, though less feature-rich compared to Pi-hole.

Back