PiHole should be a must

Hey there
Can you guys help... my rpi 4b isn't booting
Had changed routers and it lost connection so I switched off and on but it didn't come online for a couple of days, the red and green lights kept coming on and off..

Today it was all dead, seems the constant booting ruined the cable as the cable isn't working and also the pi insnt booting, no lights whsoever, tried many chargers and cablez.

Any way to fix
Thanks
Anyone????

Inspired by this article, i dusted off a pi zeroW i had lying around. It ran fine, but the pi would go unresponsive every few days and had to be restarted every time
Any idea ? Have disabled it for now

Inspired by this article, i dusted off a pi zeroW i had lying around. It ran fine, but the pi would go unresponsive every few days and had to be restarted every time
Any idea ? Have disabled it for now
Could be a bad SD card/something wrong with OS or perhaps the power supply you're using is inadequate or unreliable. Try to use at least 5V 2A adapter.

Hey there
Can you guys help... my rpi 4b isn't booting
Had changed routers and it lost connection so I switched off and on but it didn't come online for a couple of days, the red and green lights kept coming on and off..

Today it was all dead, seems the constant booting ruined the cable as the cable isn't working and also the pi insnt booting, no lights whsoever, tried many chargers and cablez.

Any way to fix
Thanks
Anyone willing to help????

Anyone willing to help????
If there's no lights and board seems completely dead then I'm afraid there's little to nothing that can be done. You've tried the troubleshooting which people would suggest here like using different power adaptors. Maybe just try without SD card as well. If there's no signs of life, nothing can be done.

Last edited:
thanks for this thread,
Did u just deployed pihole? Would like to know your experience if so :)

I'm using myself since last year first deployed on old rooted android phone but now since a few months migrated the instance to a pi 0w which I got from a fellow member. I can never go back to the "unfiltered" internet.

Did u just deployed pihole? Would like to know your experience if so :)

I'm using myself since last year first deployed on old rooted android phone but now since a few months migrated the instance to a pi 0w which I got from a fellow member. I can never go back to the "unfiltered" internet.
Found an old pi lying around with os installed on it, finally got around to installing it yday, much thanks to @kuduku

I spun up the docker image of pihole on rpi4b and also an i3 nuc...
Was like 5 minutes flat to get it up and running even for a n00b like me.

If anyone's interested I shared my backup exported with all blacklists and whitelists I use here.
It's been working very well without issues for me since about more than 6 months now.

does it block FB ads?
I don't use facebook personally but I think a couple members in my family do because I see a lot of domains being blocked from facebook.

1652793982996.png

Didnt see PiHole being discussed so ....

After using PiHole on a Pi from last one week i feel it should be a mandatory equipment in everyone's home network if it has more than 3/4 devices including mobiles , TAB or PC.
The amount of queries it has been blocking in my network is insanely at 35-40%
Microsoft , Googlee and Xiaomi are biggest culprits , These companies want to know everything about us for monetization . I dont even know which all queries were blocked but did not find any software broken so all queries were actually unnecessary and the added advantage of no Ads or Popups etc Cheapest new Pi is running above 3.5k these days if you cant buy a old one . So it is an expenditure which many would not be willing to do for only blocking Ads etc but its well worth it , believe me . Anyone who is using it will second me . I now kick myself for not using it earlier
No Ads , No popups

I have not been able to get NextDNS and Adguard filters working . If any one can give correct link for hosts
All links are courtesy reddit or XDA
Got StevenBlack , Energized Ultimate and oisd-nl as major ones . A si said if someone can help for NextDNS and AdGuard

These are working so fine that have disabled uBlock Origin which was also a very good Addon for all browsers

And anyone who feels is blocking most can try this site out . Pls dont click anything
eXtreme Test - Can You Block It ?

View attachment 93910

For people trying to just block ads in hotstar you can blacklist "hesads.akamaized.net"
This is interesting, my problem is configuring all of this as am not a command line person, had painstakingly managed to install OS on the Pi4, somehow configured it with the printer after 2 days of research, and when the project was over I sold the Pi4.
Though the adblock and all is pretty sweet but configuring it is a pain for me atleast.

Anyone using redundant instances? I have one running in my 3b+ along with other containers, thinking of spinning another one up in my server as a redundancy in case the pi ever goes down.

Back