PiHole should be a must

When the actual internet is down, because of the pi hole, all devices still see they are connected to the internet.

Usually, without pi hole, my devices when they see wifi doesn't have internet anymore, they disconnect from wifi. That's not happening anymore.

Is there a way to correct that?

hello all,

this is the first time am reading about pi-hole seriously and about its comparison with its alternatives like adguard, pfsense, nextdns etc. thinking to attempt setting it up. have a query about it -- i have an old tp-link wdr3600 router, a pogoplug pro, a seagate gfh, an intel nuc (setup as a logitech media-server), and a synology ds916+ nas; all lying uselessly and catching dust. i intend to revive them into duty one-by-one as-and-when time allows (had an rpi3 too earlier but which i sold off). the nature of my work is such that i am frequently away from home, travelling, for sometimes prolonged periods. hence most attempts and things dont see the 'light of the day', so to speak. yet i am always enthusiastic about putting my devices to good use whenever i could devote some time to them.

recently i was thinking to deploy the old router as a repeater in the home-network now. it has ddwrt on it. should i look into setting-up pi-hole on the router? or any of the other devices i mentioned above would be more suitable? pls advise..

thanks.

hello all,

this is the first time am reading about pi-hole seriously and about its comparison with its alternatives like adguard, pfsense, nextdns etc. thinking to attempt setting it up. have a query about it -- i have an old tp-link wdr3600 router, a pogoplug pro, a seagate gfh, an intel nuc (setup as a logitech media-server), and a synology ds916+ nas; all lying uselessly and catching dust. i intend to revive them into duty one-by-one as-and-when time allows (had an rpi3 too earlier but which i sold off). the nature of my work is such that i am frequently away from home, travelling, for sometimes prolonged periods. hence most attempts and things dont see the 'light of the day', so to speak. yet i am always enthusiastic about putting my devices to good use whenever i could devote some time to them.

recently i was thinking to deploy the old router as a repeater in the home-network now. it has ddwrt on it. should i look into setting-up pi-hole on the router? or any of the other devices i mentioned above would be more suitable? pls advise..

thanks.
NUC as already always on
then PogoPlug pro as priority 2 in that list

hello all,

thanks.
If you need simple ad blocking, just go with your current router if it supports it. Otherwise go with the device which is the simplest to set up for any adblock solution and needs least power to run 24 x 7. Offload the rest of the stuff in the TE Mktplace.
Also if you are really looking at Pi Hole, do check the platforms it supports -
The NUC and NAS will support it. I am not sure about the rest.

hello all,

thanks.
The + series of Synology is usually the better hardware which certainly make the pogo and goflex home redundant. IMHO keep the synology for storage and the NUC, sell the pogo gfh and the wdr3600 (if you dont need additional wifi). Use the NUC with proxmox for pihole + xpenology . You can configure rsync from xpenology to the ds916+

I have piHole. All my home devices are connected to it.
Issue: My zee5 mobile app plays everything. All good. I have a premium subscription. But, my TV app wouldn't play premium contents. Free contents all play well. I was fighting with Zee on twitter over this issue. It didn't strike me as piHole issue as it worked fine on mobile. Yday, I wanted to check if piHole is causing the issue and to my surprise, it was the culprit. I paused adblock and played on TV - Voila, premium worked. Turned ON adblock, same issue. Phew... It was one hellofa learning never to ignore piHole though the app works on other platforms.

Now, I'll have to spend time, play around to see which one to whitelist...

I have piHole. All my home devices are connected to it.
Issue: My zee5 mobile app plays everything. All good. I have a premium subscription. But, my TV app wouldn't play premium contents. Free contents all play well. I was fighting with Zee on twitter over this issue. It didn't strike me as piHole issue as it worked fine on mobile. Yday, I wanted to check if piHole is causing the issue and to my surprise, it was the culprit. I paused adblock and played on TV - Voila, premium worked. Turned ON adblock, same issue. Phew... It was one hellofa learning never to ignore piHole though the app works on other platforms.

Now, I'll have to spend time, play around to see which one to whitelist...
It should not be too hard to find the entry which prevents ur premium subscription, by checking the ""Top Blocked Domains"" or query log in pihole. You can directly whitelist from the query log. Real shame that so called *premimum* subscription also comes with ads.

I have Pihole up and running for quite some time now yet I'm getting ads even while browsing TE. I need some better blocklists, please point some good ones for me.
Edit: I've also been getting this error for quite some time now in my Pihole, "DNSMASQ_WARN interface eth0 does not currently exist". What's causing this and how to rectify it?

I've also been getting this error for quite some time now in my Pihole, "DNSMASQ_WARN interface eth0 does not currently exist". What's causing this and how to rectify it?

I have Pihole up and running for quite some time now yet I'm getting ads even while browsing TE. I need some better blocklists, please point some good ones for me.
Edit: I've also been getting this error for quite some time now in my Pihole, "DNSMASQ_WARN interface eth0 does not currently exist". What's causing this and how to rectify it?

I have 2 ISPs in my home. Airtel and ACT. Current have my Pi connected with Airtel, via LAN and piHole is installed in it. Now, how do I use that piHole on ACT also?
If you have linux skills, the cheapest solution would be using an OpenWRT router with MWAN https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/multiwan/mwan3 with the pihole below the router...

Last edited:
Thanks for recommending. A few weeks back I have reduced the number of adlists I use to just OISD full and energized ultimate + malicious IP and extreme privacy.

1666354542965.png

Just those and I'm still getting almost same amount of domains blocked.

1666354579607.png

Thing is OISD and energized are top two lists which include almost everything, especially OISD which is actually a good collection of other lists and the goal is not not break anything.
My whitelist remains same, I'm not even sure if I even need it now but I don't wanna risk breaking anything for the family hence I kept it.

If we want to use secure DNS along with pihole while also useing an additional *cloud-based* filtering service with it we can use pihole+stubby+nextdns
The benifit of such a setup is that some part of it (nexdns) can also be used when using a mobile and on mobile internet (no pihole).

Last edited:
if router supports openwrt then perhaps you can dig into using adblock on the router itself.

PS: that won't use pihole but a similar solution architecturally.
If we use a large and agressive block-list *without* a beefy router with has large RAM, we will end up with seriously degraded router performance and internet. Ad blocking is very RAM intensive from my observations. The raspberrypi does this better because of the *very large* ram (compared to TP-Link AC750). NextDNS plugin off-loads adblocking to cloud where much more agressive blocking can be implemented which can also be used on **mobile internet**.

Back