Pixel 6a launched

Q
5G is available on QPR 2 which is the beta as of today
QPR2?

by the way, on my pixel6A, the LTE mode is plenty fast, on airtel always get 88-110 Mbps
quite higher than my older phones which get around 40Mbps. anyone else checked this?

ps mine is a us model.

Is an adaptor better than a Bluetooth earphone?
The DAC in any decent earphone will be much better than a generic adaptor. But then Bluetooth is much more bandwidth constrained. For high bit rate codecs, most can't make out a difference and the convenience of wireless is here to stay.

If you don't want to overthink and don't feel guilty about disposable products, then Bluetooth wins the day.

1678961225254.png

The headline sure made me do a superfast double take.

I was messing with my pixel's radio bands since i was not getting to download anything over 5g. Then suddenly saw, I'm getting close to 300Mbps speeds on 4g LTE. Downloaded entire days 2.5GB quota in 5 minutes flat.
Tried resetting, restarting phone and messing with the radio bands again but not getting any download speed on 5G. worse, the 4G speed seems to have gone down to previous 30-40Mbps speeds. (⌣̩̩́_⌣̩̩̀)

Indoor 5G speeds are comparable to my average 4G speeds. I only get 1 bar signal indoors. Outdoor speeds are really good. Did a quick speed test while I was out grocery shopping. I got around 500 Mbps. Downside for me is the idle battery drain. It's too high to me liking. Also, if someone calls me, the phone doesn't ring and I get a SMS that someone called.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402-172120.png
    Screenshot_20230402-172120.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 64
I seriously don't know what made Google go with the Sammy SoC than having a matured chip from Qualcomm. I mean that radio chip on Tensor is not that good. Add to that, 5G being power inefficient hence battery loss.

I seriously don't know what made Google go with the Sammy SoC than having a matured chip from Qualcomm. I mean that radio chip on Tensor is not that good. Add to that, 5G being power inefficient hence battery loss.
I don't know about 5G battery life, but with 4G the 6a outlasted all the other competitors in my household. Is poor battery life on 5G particular to Pixel phones?

I don't know about 5G battery life, but with 4G the 6a outlasted all the other competitors in my household. Is poor battery life on 5G particular to Pixel phones?
There are many factors which determine why 5 G drains your battery. The most obvious being high speeds. Next being which frequency or band you are connected to.

Another is how much your radio modem is efficient in utilising your battery. There are others too but I won't go into the details.

One factor which sets pixel and other Samsung based dies is their radio modem is not that power efficient with the Tensor and other Exynos chip. So it might lead to more drain that other power efficient radio modems found on Mediatek, Qualcomm and other SoC manufacturers.

Again, this loss can be offset if you are connected to 700 Mhz which gives the best speed to power consumption ratio. But as mentioned there are many parameters at play when to comes to battery usage when using mobile data. Add to that, 6a has relative less battery capacity than what is in the market. But if Google releases updates for optimising the power consumption with 5G, you should see good battery life.

In my case, with 5000 mah battery, a couple of speed tests on Airtel 5G easily drained 1%. Now I already know Airtel doesn't have frequency in 700Mhz, so it will be inefficient.

Regardless of the technical jargon, see how the 6a performs on 5G, cause everyone's use case will be different. I don't need 5G for now so I stick with 4G. With time, you will be the best judge.

Indoor 5G speeds are comparable to my average 4G speeds. I only get 1 bar signal indoors.
Same just 1 bar on 5g but I get around 8 to 10MBps constant download speeds indoors only early morning probably because everyone else in the general area is fast asleep. During the day or in evenings, can't even watch IPL match on jio app because the speed is just around 1Mbps or lower.

my experience with it is.. very very slow charging.. which limits the amount of time you can actually use the phone and the processor is not the fastest.

How good is pixel 6a guys.. planning to get this for my sister.. sorry to derail the conversation though.
It depends on what phone she used previously. In my case, I was using a Redmi K20 Pro until it went kaput. It was a 'flagship killer' and had a great processor for the time. Ran every game that i threw at it. It had a 60 Hz screen and 20W charging. Great in-display fingerprint sensor and pop-up camera which gave me a screen without any cutouts. It had a utterly sh*t earpiece and the software updates made the phone feel slower somehow. Maybe it was something to do with the animations.
Whereas on the Pixel 6a, the screen is still 60Hz and charging is 18W which i don't mind. I get monthly security patches (for 5 years in total i think) and another 2 years of Android updates. Earpiece and feedback/haptics is exceptional, the best i've ever experienced. Battery life on 4G is decent. Don't ask about 5G. The in-display fingerprint reader is a PITA. Most of the times i have to use the PIN in order to unlock after multiple unsuccessful attempts. I miss the headphone jack. Overall its a nice upgrade from my previous phone.
Also the Pixel 7a is just around the corner so you may consider waiting

Back