Pixel 6a launched

iPhone SE should not exist in 2022. Period.
As someone who only uses small phones, I disagree. I recently used a iPhone 6 as a backup phone for 1 month and I was surprised to see how well it holds up. Sure, the phone was slow to load apps sometimes but that's expected for iphone 6. The SE probably has better 4k60 video recording than ANY android phone by a long shot, regardless of price. Not even a Rs. 1lac android phone can do better. Maybe that's a reason enough for it to exist. Period.
leave-iphone-se-alone.jpg

Don't you have enough 200gm bricks to choose from?

We Indians are cheap
I wish people would stop saying this. India is a low income country, so we spend less. That's all.

People look for value everywhere, in no country do I see people just throwing away money for no reason.

If Indians were cheap, wouldn't everyone be running after phones priced between 10-12k? Why are phones priced between 20-30k the norm today when cheaper phones are available.

Purchasing power parity is a thing. In 2020, purchasing power of INR Vs USD was 22, i.e., if something is priced 1 USD in the US and 22 INR in India, on an average, people will feel the same pinch while buying it. We can consider these equally priced even though exchange rate would say otherwise. As it happens though, products are often priced higher in India due to import duties. So if something sells for 1000 USD there, and 88000 here, it's 4x more expensive for an Indian.

Now consider Netflix price in India, ₹650. If we divide this by 22, we get 29. So 29 USD would be an equivalent price for the US. Currently though, Netflix is priced at 18 USD. And at that level itself, subscriptions have been falling and I constantly see people on Reddit whining about Netflix's price increase. So are they cheap as well?

Most Indians don't have money to make lifetime commitments for services. So something like Google One doesn't sell here. Amazon Prime, which is reasonably priced, and doesn't need lifetime commitment, has a lot of subscribers here in India as well.

We are not cheap, we look for products we can afford. And our incomes are lower, so we can only afford cheaper products.

Proof that Google and many other brands don't give a shit about India no matter how "big" the market is lol. Also despite India being one of the top markets for Xiaomi products, we don't even get the Xioami Ultra models ffs.
Xiaomi makes a tenth of what Vivo does in India. In fact all the other Chinese brands are in that small Xiaomi bracket.

Vivo is the runaway leader in India.

So far Safe Pixel 6A Usage:-

(1) Not entirely / Hardly rely on Mobile Data.
(2) Always under Wi-Fi coverage / Mobile Hotspot in the Backpack.
(3) Not much requirement for video recording - Despite Excellent Video Capture Capability.
(4) Majority usage time under the Temperature Control Environment - Office / Home.
(5) Belong from Cooler Place of India.
(6) Near big city, Adequate mobile network coverage.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop saying this. India is a low income country, so we spend less. That's all.

People look for value everywhere, in no country do I see people just throwing away money for no reason.

If Indians were cheap, wouldn't everyone be running after phones priced between 10-12k? Why are phones priced between 20-30k the norm today when cheaper phones are available.

Purchasing power parity is a thing. In 2020, purchasing power of INR Vs USD was 22, i.e., if something is priced 1 USD in the US and 22 INR in India, on an average, people will feel the same pinch while buying it. We can consider these equally priced even though exchange rate would say otherwise. As it happens though, products are often priced higher in India due to import duties. So if something sells for 1000 USD there, and 88000 here, it's 4x more expensive for an Indian.

Now consider Netflix price in India, ₹650. If we divide this by 22, we get 29. So 29 USD would be an equivalent price for the US. Currently though, Netflix is priced at 18 USD. And at that level itself, subscriptions have been falling and I constantly see people on Reddit whining about Netflix's price increase. So are they cheap as well?

Most Indians don't have money to make lifetime commitments for services. So something like Google One doesn't sell here. Amazon Prime, which is reasonably priced, and doesn't need lifetime commitment, has a lot of subscribers here in India as well.

We are not cheap, we look for products we can afford. And our incomes are lower, so we can only afford cheaper products.
Going offtopic here -
These services are not going after your average Indian. Saying that the average Indian cannot afford them is missing the point.
The top 1% of india earns above 55LPA per capita . Thats around 150M users. out of that around 10M are the ones who are digitally native and active on most ecom platforms - amazon, swiggy, etc. That alone is equal to the state of California or a EU country. That is the addressable market. I don't think this segment has any issues affording these services. It is easy to say that indians do not see value in services, but there is this underlying issue that people value tangible assets more than services that provide utility.

People will spend 1L on a PC build but not a 1K on a legit windows or office subscription. People will spend 500 on popcorn in a multiplex, but the same people will balk before spending 500 on netflix. People will spend 1L for the apple brand or samsung's latest AMOLED screen or the 128GB variant but can't spend 200Rs a month for 200GB of cloud storage. Yes they are more expensive on purchasing power parity basis with what people in developed countries spend, but then these same people have no problem spending outrageous amounts on overpriced products.

I am not even sure what is this lifetime commitment you are talking about for google one. I have a google one subscription, I don't recall being asked to make any.

The top 1% of india earns above 55LPA per capita . Thats around 150M users
India's population is 1380 million, 1% of 1380 is 150. I'm sure there's no problem with the Math here.
Also, putting it in different words, 15 crore people in India earn 55 LPA. Totally believable.
I am not even sure what is this lifetime commitment you are talking about
You get Google one subscription and store 200 GB of data in Drive. You stop your subscription tomorrow and you're back to 15 GB. You can no longer store those files on Drive, it will be deleted within 3-6 months if not renewed. That's the lifetime commitment I'm talking about.
I'd rather just build a NAS with RAID myself, will work out cheaper.

You're right, it should be 15M. Ultimately I'm worried only about the 10M of them who are online.

That's not a lifetime commitment. If i want to back it up it's trivial. For me the value is in being able to share photo galleries with family without filling up their WhatsApp and device storage. Can't do that with Nas

As someone who only uses small phones, I disagree. I recently used a iPhone 6 as a backup phone for 1 month and I was surprised to see how well it holds up. Sure, the phone was slow to load apps sometimes but that's expected for iphone 6. The SE probably has better 4k60 video recording than ANY android phone by a long shot, regardless of price. Not even a Rs. 1lac android phone can do better. Maybe that's a reason enough for it to exist. Period.
leave-iphone-se-alone.jpg

Don't you have enough 200gm bricks to choose from?
If I want a smaller phone, I would rather go with 12 mini or 13 mini when there is a sale. SE with those fat bezels, HD LCD display should not exist .

India's population is 1380 million, 1% of 1380 is 150. I'm sure there's no problem with the Math here.
Also, putting it in different words, 15 crore people in India earn 55 LPA. Totally believable.

You get Google one subscription and store 200 GB of data in Drive. You stop your subscription tomorrow and you're back to 15 GB. You can no longer store those files on Drive, it will be deleted within 3-6 months if not renewed. That's the lifetime commitment I'm talking about.
I'd rather just build a NAS with RAID myself, will work out cheaper.
I don't use Google one. But I still prefer to have cloud backup apart from onsite & off site backup.

I don't use Google one. But I still prefer to have cloud backup apart from onsite & off site backup.
I also prefer to have cloud backup and I have that too. But I don't prefer the idea of paying for 2 hard drives every year for the said cloud storage of equivalent capacity.

Google one charges ₹1300 per year for 100 GB. 2 year's cost is enough to get me a 1TB hard drive.

Now we can bicker about the fairness of the cost, but all I'm saying is it's not worth it for me. If it feels worth your money to you, then good for you (generic, third person "you", not tintinsnowy).
I use Onedrive where I get 1 TB for ₹900 on a shared family plan. It also comes with Office 365, which matters for me because I use Excel a lot.

Google one charges ₹1300 per year for 100 GB. 2 year's cost is enough to get me a 1TB hard drive.
Not a fair comparison. You'll need to run RAID as hard drives can fail. Also, there's the power consumption and maintenance of your NAS.
Will it still turn out cheaper to run you own NAS? Probably yeah (depending on how much you value your time) but not everyone and their mother knows how to or cares about it. Maybe...just maybe they aren't targeting power users?

Not a fair comparison

Now we can bicker about the fairness of the cost, but all I'm saying is it's not worth it for me
Preempted this argument in my post already. Not interested in debating it. I never said people shouldn't subscribe, if you feel it's worth it, please go ahead. I was telling my perception of it.

Also, if it was that costly, Microsoft wouldn't be offering it for a fraction of the cost.

Google: 100 GB for 1300/year
Microsoft: 6 TB for 5400/year

I was looking for a worthwhile upgrade from my 2XL and 6a fitted the specsheet just fine. But then Marques Brownlee video just killed it all. He said it's the choppiest 60 Hz phone he's seen in recent times. Android 12 with all its infantile animations and colours is already an abomination. I had suspected that it would lag on the 6a and I was right. I hope Google will push a software update (or six) to fix the issue and the phone's sustained performance remains at 60 Hz without dropping frames left and right.

Out of all the kids who review phones Marqus is probably the most thorough user and forthcoming reviewer, so his remarks are mostly spot on.

I was looking for a worthwhile upgrade from my 2XL and 6a fitted the specsheet just fine. But then Marques Brownlee video just killed it all. He said it's the choppiest 60 Hz phone he's seen in recent times. Android 12 with all its infantile animations and colours is already an abomination. I had suspected that it would lag on the 6a and I was right. I hope Google will push a software update (or six) to fix the issue and the phone's sustained performance remains at 60 Hz without dropping frames left and right.

Out of all the kids who review phones Marqus is probably the most thorough user and forthcoming reviewer, so his remarks are mostly spot on.
But in exchange of your pixel 2xl on preordering you are getting 12k as exchange value. Not bad + 3k axis Bank credit card discount. Effective price comes at 28k. Which is a good deal. I guess

Back