Pixel 6a launched

They have priced it the same as iPhone SE3...although se3 makes no sense but now with the pixel at the same price people got a reason to get the SE3.
It is a bit of a cycle, isn't it? I am a bit biased for getting the 12 mini for around 33k during last year's sale, but the next SE will probably be a mini replacement and will definitely be a better choice. Used to lambast Apple for pricing iPhones exorbitantly, about 100 INR to a $ but Google has gone even further with its product range this year, despite not yet having the pedigree of Apple in the phone arena.

Good to have competition but Google needs to be realistic when selling Pixel phones in relation to iPhones.

You need a stable phone if it is your primary phone. One can't be at bleeding edge all the time.
If bleeding edge was so inherent to Pixel phones, google would have had made it mandatory for each Pixel phone to download and force install the Beta update.
Yeah, wouldn't really recommend anyone moving to betas for regular usage.

Unrelated, but I switched my iPhone to iOS 16 beta to use watchOS 9 and there are some apps that won't be updated to work with it until the final release in September. Having to make do without them since watchOS cannot be downgraded.

You need a stable phone if it is your primary phone. One can't be at bleeding edge all the time.
If bleeding edge was so inherent to Pixel phones, google would have had made it mandatory for each Pixel phone to download and force install the Beta update.
Who said you can use a google phone as your primary phone? :)

Google phone is a secondary phone that you try stuff out with.

Um, I'm using my 4a as a primary phone. It is the stablest Android phone i have ever used!
It is until it isn't or you stick to known stable builds and go easy on the updates.

I've seen comments from nexus 5 users that quite frankly put me off such a phone as a primary. No j/k

One of them was to do with the camera and its was weeks until they fixed it. Yeah, stable but some components broken.

It is until it isn't or you stick to known stable builds and go easy on the updates.

I've seen comments from nexus 5 users that quite frankly put me off such a phone as a primary. No j/k

One of them was to do with the camera and its was weeks until they fixed it. Yeah, stable but some components broken.

The easiest way to have a stable phone is avoid visiting XDA. ;)

The easiest way to have a stable phone is avoid visiting XDA. ;)
Think of a google phone as that Mustang you work on during your spare time with a lot of love. Only to bring it out on the weekends to impress the neighbours.

Say you were too heavy on the gas and flood the engine and it stalls when the lights turn green you cannot complain and say this would never happen with my Lexus or Camry. C'mon!

No, you cannot say that.

It is unreasonable to expect a polished product. You might be lucky some years but the culture of chasing every single bug before the build is greenlighted is not Google's culture.

If you're into software development then it goes without saying its what you have to get. You join an exclusive club and become a part of a select group of people.

The comparison with Surface is misplaced when you see the asking prices. MSFT definitely uses Surface as a tech demonstrator. So does Google but only with software. There is no bling. It's not needed nor warranted.

This was the original intent behind the google phones. At some point, the message gets changed that it must become a phone for the masses. NO, that is not what it is for.

That is how I came to perceive google's phones since 2015.

Think of a google phone as that Mustang you work on during your spare time with a lot of love. Only to bring it out on the weekends to impress the neighbours.

Say you were too heavy on the gas and flood the engine and it stalls when the lights turn green you cannot complain and say this would never happen with my Lexus or Camry. C'mon!

No, you cannot say that.

It is unreasonable to expect a polished product. You might be lucky some years but the culture of chasing every single bug before the build is greenlighted is not Google's culture.

If you're into software development then it goes without saying its what you have to get. You join an exclusive club and become a part of a select group of people.

The comparison with Surface is misplaced when you see the asking prices. MSFT definitely uses Surface as a tech demonstrator. So does Google but only with software. There is no bling. It's not needed nor warranted.

This was the original intent behind the google phones. At some point, the message gets changed that it must become a phone for the masses. NO, that is not what it is for.

That is how I came to perceive google's phones since 2015.

Pixel is not Nexus (which is were you're stuck). Their design philosophy, HW philosophy, OS philosophy, all are different. Their marketing is different. The feature sets are matured.
And again, as much as you want to harp that it's unreasonable to expect a polished product, I've used 2 generations of Pixels (2XL and 4a) and have nothing but praises for them. All HW have issues, including many Pixel phones, and Samsung phones, and iPhones and Xiaomi and Oppo and Vivo.
Looking through some Pixel communities, and cutting through the negative videos, it looks like many people are indeed satisfied with their 6a !

Shocking, I know. Idiots using their phones as intended.

Pixel is not Nexus (which is were you're stuck). Their design philosophy, HW philosophy, OS philosophy, all are different. Their marketing is different. The feature sets are matured.
ok, I think we got most versions of the nexus but with pixel, it's been hit or miss. No 4,5 or 6. Instead, we got 4A and now 6A that too after a break.

The thing is the earlier comments a few pages back about basic things not working or taking long to get fixed are reminiscent of what I read from nexus users back in the day.

Things changed but complaints seem similar.
And again, as much as you want to harp that it's unreasonable to expect a polished product, I've used 2 generations of Pixels (2XL and 4a) and have nothing but praises for them.
At what point did you feel comfortable moving to a new OS?
All HW have issues, including many Pixel phones, and Samsung phones, and iPhones and Xiaomi and Oppo and Vivo.
Granted but we're talking specifically software here.
Looking through some Pixel communities, and cutting through the negative videos, it looks like many people are indeed satisfied with their 6a !

Shocking, I know. Idiots using their phones as intended.
These would be the so-called silent majority :D

That second one is talking about the incentives, great trade-in value up to $300, free a series buds AND he can use wifi calling.

I've no idea why wifi calling is such a big thing. It's close to the 4G frequency we use and that is lousy at penetrating. Maybe if you live in a wooden house.

Last edited:
ok, I think we got most versions of the nexus but with pixel, it's been hit or miss. No 4,5 or 6. Instead, we got 4A and now 6A that too after a break.

The thing is the earlier comments a few pages back about basic things not working or taking long to get fixed are reminiscent of what I read from nexus users back in the day.

Things changed but complaints seem similar.

At what point did you feel comfortable moving to a new OS?

Granted but we're talking specifically software here.

These would be the so-called silent majority :D

That second one is talking about the incentives, great trade-in value up to $300, free a series buds AND he can use wifi calling.

I've no idea why wifi calling is such a big thing. It's close to the 4G frequency we use and that is lousy at penetrating. Maybe if you live in a wooden house.

I don't think there's any issue with software on MOST phones, but we will have failures and outliers (as with any tech).
Not sure what you mean by comfort moving to new OS, but I moved from Samsung to Mi to Pixels (and concurrent iPhone for work use), and have no challenges with usability. I find Pixels to be clean and minimalistic, similar to iPhones (though spotlight on iPhone is just better, much better). The days of ROM and kernel tinkering are far over for me, and I prefer tech which makes my life easier - Pixels and iPhones do.
Wifi calling is GREAT. That was my one big gripe with 2xl - no wifi calling on Jio. Personally, feel that the call quality is much much better with Wi-Fi calling.
Also, iPhone call quality trumps Pixels call quality (Dad uses a Mi which is just shit, Mom has a OP, which is OK).

Not sure what you mean by comfort moving to new OS
When will you move to 13 since you're on a pixel? at what point do you assess you can live with it on a primary phone? that really is the biggest advantage I can see with a pixel.
Wifi calling is GREAT. That was my one big gripe with 2xl - no wifi calling on Jio. Personally, feel that the call quality is much much better with Wi-Fi calling.
Also, iPhone call quality trumps Pixels call quality (Dad uses a Mi which is just shit, Mom has a OP, which is OK).
It is great like voice chat on WhatsApp compared to cell field radio quality but to get it you need to receive the signal and wifi does not carry through walls very well.

If it was some 3-digit frequency like 2G then yeah. But we will never see that in metros due to the large number of subscribers. In rural areas and not too far from the tower the signal quality will trump metros easily.

I don't know what you mean by call quality because Indian carriers don't implement the same standards as abroad. Good signal, good voice quality otherwise you better head towards the nearest balcony..

When will you move to 13 since you're on a pixel? at what point do you assess you can live with it on a primary phone? that really is the biggest advantage I can see with a pixel.

It is great like voice chat on WhatsApp compared to cell field radio quality but to get it you need to receive the signal and wifi does not carry through walls very well.

If it was some 3-digit frequency like 2G then yeah. But we will never see that in metros due to the large number of subscribers. In rural areas and not too far from the tower the signal quality will trump metros easily.

I don't know what you mean by call quality because Indian carriers don't implement the same standards as abroad. Good signal, good voice quality otherwise you better head towards the nearest balcony..

Not moving to 13 unless Apple fixes the forced use of Apple Maps in non native apps like Whatsapp - deal breaker for me. Also, I have said this before - the images from humble 4a rival the double or triple priced iPhone 13.

Personally, using mesh, and zero wifi issues. Call quality is like Whatsapp or Facetime calls over Wifi Calling.

Not moving to 13 unless Apple fixes the forced use of Apple Maps in non native apps like Whatsapp - deal breaker for me. Also, I have said this before - the images from humble 4a rival the double or triple priced iPhone 13.
Android 13
Personally, using mesh, and zero wifi issues. Call quality is like Whatsapp or Facetime calls over Wifi Calling.
And outside the home? is there any option for wifi calling

zhbNPuw.png

A13 stable available for Pixels now. Couldn't find a dedicated thread, sorry.

How's the network reception on the 6a? It's been reported that it is having poor reception and with my experience of three different generations of Pixels I can more than attest to that. Someone having an iPhone, or a Samsung phone please compare with the 6a and report back please.

Back