Budget 90k+ Planning to buy end of the month. Any advice around these parts is appreciated.

rebos

Recruit
Hi All,
Just need some tips.
I am planning to build a PC by the end of the month. Building a PC after almost 8 years, so starting fresh and replacing everything. Still deciding on whether I should go with Ryzen 7000 or Intel 13 since I'm not sure if buying DDR5 is worth it.
  1. What is your budget?
    • ~1.2L
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Only carrying over these components from the old setup as the rest I am giving to a family member.
    • Monitor - Samsung LC24FG70FQWXXL 24" 1080p 144hz
    • Mouse, Keyboard, Headphones etc.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Samsung LC24FG70FQWXXL 24" 1080p 144hz
    • Mouse, Keyboard, Headphones etc.
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Just mentioning these details here to give you an idea on what sort of hardware range I'm currently looking to pick up. Completely open to any opinions and feedback on this and can change based on that. I would like to keep the same PC with minor upgrades for the next 5-6 years.
    • CPU - Intel 13600k / Ryzen 7600X
    • Motherboard - Depends on DDR4 or DDR5 (not sure what to get, open to suggestions)
    • GPU - RADEON RX 6800 XT / RTX 3070 TI / RX 6700 XT (based on budget left)
    • PSU - Corsair RM850
    • RAM - 32GB (DDR4 or DDR5)
    • CPU Cooler - Deepcool AK620 (Heavily praised and I personally prefer air coolers)
    • Monitor - New 27" 1440p 120hz (around 25k)
    • Cabinet - Any Mid-Tower with good airflow and can last 5-6 years. Non-RGB works too if it's at the cost of better build quality.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Not decided on future upgrades, may do so if upcoming GPUs and CPUs provide a reasonable price to performance bump.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Nehru Place, New Delhi
    • Open to online purchases (Except CPU / Mobo and RAM)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes - GPU
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Code compilation
    • Office work
    • Very light video/photo editing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Would prefer to buy from well known brands with good warranty coverage.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - CoD, CS:GO
    • Racing - FH4/5, Assetto Corsa
    • Most AAA Open World/ RPG - Starfield (in 2023), Cyberpunk 2077
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1440p (Might bump to 4k down the line)
    2. Desktop - 1440p & 1080p (Dual screen setup)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No (Will undervolt and tweak fan curves though to manage temps)
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 11 64 bit

My main concern is mostly DDR4 or DDR5. I am not able to decide if it's worth getting DDR5 now or if DDR4 will be fine for the next 5-6 years.
      Also, is getting Ryzen better, since that will help me upgrade later on if the bump in performance is significant.
      Thank you for your time!

Get a 5800x3d, 32gigs of RAM and a 6700xt at least plus a b550 and enable SAM in the bios to get extra performance. A case with good airflow and fans and a Gold 850w psu and you're good to go imo.

5800x3d is by far the best option Hardware Unboxed has a recent video on a gaming comparison with the new cpus

Hi All,
Just need some tips.
I am planning to build a PC by the end of the month. Building a PC after almost 8 years, so starting fresh and replacing everything. Still deciding on whether I should go with Ryzen 7000 or Intel 13 since I'm not sure if buying DDR5 is worth it.
Getting everything under 1.2L will be hard. Considering everything it will come to around ~1.4-1.5L at minimum with the requirements you've mentioned.
I've created a template of what can be built below. Will wait for others to offer better suggestions if available.

Note that I've taken the AG620 which is the cheaper version of the AK620.

Intel
DDR4 - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/6d45cccb-71b1-48f6-b9a4-dcb215388118
DDR5 - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/3c80fd6d-dfd0-4b9b-b564-c8a8957cff65

AMD
AM4 - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/dade0304-06cb-4139-8b59-37d9a7b151fd

I suggest not going for AM5/Zen 4 until CES to see what else AMD brings to the table.

Last edited:
i just noticed you said you are open to second hand GPU then your answer is quite simple, go with ddr5 build. your budget is sufficient. you can pick up 3070/6700xt below 30k which is sufficient for any 1440p gaming for next 3 years or until the current gen of console gaming ends.

I would recommend DDR5 since they are much cheaper now... This way you get a ddr5-supported mobo and the upgrade path will be better. So maybe 16GB now and 16GB later?

Also, 4000d airflow for the case will be my choice.

Changing my recommendation of the case.
Lian li lancool 216 just launched (will be available in India from Nov 25). Don't think there's any other case around this price with such features.

I'm actually building a very similar PC in at the moment in NCR after 7 years too, was about to make my own post but it's so similar to yours I think I wont bother. I'm not sure about DDR4 or DDR5, think on the benchmarks of the latest games its making a marginal difference so I suspect that future titles will utilise the extra speed more so I would say if its available for a reasonable price go for it. I'm personally locked into DDR5 because of ITX mobo availability here. I'm going 13th gen intel btw, the 13600k(f?), the biggest thing to think about it is platform imo, if you think youre going to be using this for 4+ generations then I'd go intel, if you think you'd upgrade sooner than that then AM5 is the way to go.

@rebos I'm assuming you've built it already, would you be able to share which stores you visited in Nehru Place and if you were able to get what you needed? Planning on making a trip there in the next week so would be a big help. Thanks!

if you think youre going to be using this for 4+ generations then I'd go intel, if you think you'd upgrade sooner than that then AM5 is the way to go.
Actually, it is for 4 generations upgrade, where AM5 shines. Say
2022 : you get an R5 or lower end R7

2025 : some processors release, for which the high end R7 / low end R9 is 50% better in single thread, and 100% better in multi thread.

2027 : this is when roughly 4 generations strike. You can get the 2025 processor second hand, and this improves your IMC, IGP and of course the processor. Your old memory may run faster, or you may be able to add more sticks. All this for just the cost of a second hand processor.

This may give you satisfaction until 2030.

Has
if you think youre going to be using this for 4+ generations then I'd go intel, if you think you'd upgrade sooner than that then AM5 is the way to go.
Intel has typically not been shy to drop/change their CPU connectors across generations, while AMD has, in the recent past, kept the same CPU connectors across generations.

I'm curious to know if Intel has made any official commitment to LGA1700 for future CPUs. Please share links if you have seen something to this effect.

AMD has commited to support AM5 till 2025. As per below, AMD had actually committed AM4 support till 2020, but overdelivered on this support till early 2022.

Overall, AM5 is a better bet for long term CPU upgrades. Intel has used LGA1700 for both 12 & 13 gen CPUs, but they could well drop this support in future generations.

Note: Motherboards are an entire different story. AMD pissed off lot of ppl by not supporting older Mobos with Zen3 CPUs, even though the CPUs had AM4 connectors.

AMD has commited to support AM5 till 2025. As per below, AMD had actually committed AM4 support till 2020, but overdelivered on this support till early 2022.
Yeah, and it cannot be a coincidence that 2025 is the declared year of DDR6 spec publication. Optimistically it takes a year to launch in consumer market after that, but 2 previous generations were delayed. AMD also had it rough in 2022 when they launched their DDR 5 supporting chipset while DDR5 was expensive - so it is unlikely they will repeat this mistake. And releasing yet another socket with DDR5 before DDR6 launch will also be weird, because it will be extremely short lived, and won't justify cost of development.

So until DDR6 is somewhat cheap, any AMD CPUs released should fit AM5 - even if we consider AMD's own profit motive.

Back