Planning to buy HTC One V - Is my decision correct?

bluevolt

Disciple
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
I am in mobile market for past 15 days and after some research only one phone has touched my heart i.e. HTC One V. It's design is fantastic, screen is good, has expandable memory, has snob value, good build quality, expandable memory, running latest android os, fair battery capacity, camera is better than most phones in this category etc. Only issue is single core 1GHZ processor because of which many have turned against this phone. I haven't tried this phone my self yet but from most youtube videos I can see that this phone hardly lags or slow downs. It is almost capable of running most of the applications.

Now coming down to my requirements from a phone

-> Basic phone usage i.e incoming/outgoing calls and SMSes.
-> Internet browsing/Email
-> Music listening
-> Taking Photos
-> Watching movies/youtube videos

After considering these requirements I find HTV One V a perfect phone for myself. I hardly play any game and it looks VFM. (Retailing for around 17K with 8GB card).

Please suggest me whether I should stick to this phone or is there any new better model coming up?

Xperia U is ruled out because of non-expandable memory, Xperia Sola and others are not touching heart (not feeling exclusive as design is almost same across the XPERIA range).

Any other phones in my fixed budget of 20K?

iaudio

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
If you can forego the dual core processor and front cam, the HTC One V is a good option. m-jeri on this forum is using one, he could help you with actual user feedback.
Personally, I would go for the Moto Atrix 2 though, far better hardware. Htc much better when it comes to looks though. Service wise both brands are so so.

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
Thanks iaudio. :)

@OP

For your uses, yes. Build qlty is very nice. screen also very gorgeous. Cam, I am not a fan though. But still passable. Music is very nice. :)

Also the phone gets sluggish a bit sometomes. other than its fine.

Battery life is fine if moderate usage. Lasts for a day easily. else morning and evenings.. :D

But do check out the Xperia Sola just for the sake of it. If already done, ignore. I love the chin the V, it helps me hold it properly..

iaudio

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
m-jeri, Anna, kidilan! ( Mal speak for awesome, please dont infract) I mean, that was quite fast. I didnt even tag you bro!
Bluevolt, there you go. Even I feel you should look at Sola. But yes the angular styling though nice, is generic for Xperia range.

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
I bought this for my mom and was pleasantly surprised. The phone is very slim, compact and performance is smooth with a really nice display. Single core and a 1500mah battery makes it last quite a bit with 3G on as well.

Initially was regretting not getting xperia U but not now. Also beats crapware aside the sound quality on the phone is very good too.

My only gripe was that Sense felt a bit clunky with settings button the bottom and menu on top etc, too used to Samsung where everything is grouped together. I also had some issues connecting to my home Wi-fi and saw a few people complaining about that too. This was fixed by setting a static IP on the phone.

Check if Indiatimes has any offers going on, I got it from there after applying a 10% off coupon for 16.5k

deepanshuchg

Disciple
Jul 17, 2012
Now coming down to my requirements from a phone

-> Basic phone usage i.e incoming/outgoing calls and SMSes.
-> Internet browsing/Email
-> Music listening
-> Taking Photos
-> Watching movies/youtube videos

I have almost same requirement but in addition to this is games which is kinda must requirement.. so what shud i prefer Sola due to it dual core processor or HTC one V ??

bluevolt

Disciple
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
Thanks iaudio. :)

@OP

For your uses, yes. Build qlty is very nice. screen also very gorgeous. Cam, I am not a fan though. But still passable. Music is very nice. :)

Also the phone gets sluggish a bit sometomes. other than its fine.

Battery life is fine if moderate usage. Lasts for a day easily. else morning and evenings.. :D

But do check out the Xperia Sola just for the sake of it. If already done, ignore. I love the chin the V, it helps me hold it properly..

m-jeri, Anna, kidilan! ( Mal speak for awesome, please dont infract) I mean, that was quite fast. I didnt even tag you bro!
Bluevolt, there you go. Even I feel you should look at Sola. But yes the angular styling though nice, is generic for Xperia range.

I have almost same requirement but in addition to this is games which is kinda must requirement.. so what shud i prefer Sola due to it dual core processor or HTC one V ??

Thanks, I can still wait for around 10-15 days after which i will make my final decision till then I am heavily relying on youtube reviews, TE reviews etc. I will consider sola as well. Atrix2 is good but buying a Motorola is like buying a Tata/Fiat car. No offence intended to Tata/Fiat/Motorola owners.

abhikm001

Recruit
Jun 6, 2012
proud owner of HTC ONE V ... bought it on 23rd July from tradus.com for 15,500
got a 2000 rs off thru some coupon offer on rekshabandhan !
now off to business ... absolute delight using this beauty yaar
im a heavy andro user...
just to give an idea...
24 hour connected to mobile gprs, approx 4-5 hour music in office and the way to n fro [mind u , beats audio rocks...if u like it bass heavy , then its just the thing for u , normal music always sounds great], lil camera usage on weekdays(use heavily on outings with frnds), gps will be used for travelling (not much , but still some amount), was not a mobile gamer on my last fon (lg optimus one p500) but hell yeah ... this one makes me play n milk the juice out of it ... so approx 30 minutes gaming minimum every day. some 40-50 sms late night ... fm on for 1 hour every morning day during shower
so end of the day ... say 11.30 when i go to bed ... i can bet u atleast 15-20% juice in the battery will be left every single time !
looks amazing with the chin , pretty gud for holding in portrait mode for msging n gaming too
amazing display , perfect to see muvies ... i saw 2 muvies back to back ... approx 200 - 210 minutes on full brightness - no over heating wat so eva ... plus still had 20 % left \m/
for the price i paid ... its absolute gem of a fon !
now to the con ... loud speaker - its average , dont expect it to be a boombox :p
the only removable part - a back cover on the chin - showed a bit discoloration (greenish yellow n black) - still wondering how n why :| but not a deal breaker trust me ... i instantly ordered thisMoshi Black Back Hard Shell Case,Cover,Pouch for HTC One V & One Screen guard | eBay n going pretty smooth now

i know this has been a messy way of telling my experience :p im new here ... so ;) xcuse me
hope this one helps...cheers \m/

ganpatshinde

Disciple
Aug 6, 2012
if ur looking for the 1.5 ghz processor then i would suggest u the htc sensation XE .. its 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Scorpion, Dual Core and has 8 mp camera ... its a very sleek and powerfull fone... i was searching for its rate and found its best price on snapdeal here the link HTC Sensation Xe (Black) - Buy Mobile Phones Online at Best Price | Snapdeal.com .. i have checked the price its not as cheap as snapdeal anywhere ... u shud buy this fone .. cheers.

montsa007

Adept
Sep 28, 2011
I read some horror stories of One V few days back, display going Kaput. Also do remember it doesn't have a removeable battery..hint hint.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

You can haggle a bit hard and buy a Nexus instead.

TheBroker

Skilled
May 8, 2005
I bought this phone less than a week back and here's a short view of what's good and what's not.

Screen - the LCD 2 screen is gorgeous. The colors are really vivid
Build - Unibody aluminum is excellent. The feel is better than that of Ace 2 and Xperia U, which are in the same budget
Predictive text - its my first phone with a software keyboard ( owned a BB 8520 and Nokia E63 before ) and I already love it. The dictionary can save new words and the autocorrect is really good.
Music - Absolutely Epic. Excellent headphones ( though not of beats audio), with really good bass output.
Android 4 and the App market
Camera - Really good. Shoots really fast and there's a mode where you can simultaneously shoot a video and take a photo. Haven't used that yet. Here's a pic I shot at Infiniti Mall, Mumbai ( the effect was taken with the camera, which has about 15 odd effects to enhance your image )

[IMG=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9216/imag0006m.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Heres another

[IMG=http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2562/imag0008fo.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Also, the camera has a burst mode.

The Cons

Effective RAM comes to 360 odd MB
Slight lag with temple run, but angry birds hums on really well. Not much into gaming, but more into reading. So the screen suite me really well.
Haven't stressed the battery yet or taken the phone on the field, but I feel with some moderate whatsapp, browsing and emails it should last about 16-20 hours or so before it runs out of steam.
Very Minor lag at times with applications, but otherwise fine. However, I've read the 1GHz processor is of an older generation.
Loudspeaker could be louder. Its a small Beats audio speaker, with superb quality but output is a bit on the lower side

Personal Experience - I was going to buy the Xperia U, but the onscreen keyboard was much thinner. Also, the solid feel of HTC and the gorgeous screen was too good to resist. At this price, is expensive than galaxy ace plus but you get a better audio, screen, camera and build. And of course Android 4 out of the box.

bluevolt

Disciple
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
Thanks guys for your suggestions....those who own HTC One V can you please tell me if this phone is easily fittable in trouser's/jeans's side pockets and there is no issue while sitting/driving car/riding bike etc???

montsa007

Adept
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks guys for your suggestions....those who own HTC One V can you please tell me if this phone is easily fittable in trouser's/jeans's side pockets and there is no issue while sitting/driving car/riding bike etc???

Careful with touchscreens fella as riding bike with a touchscreen device could lead to a sad climax.
I don't own the phone but its quite pocketable, the chin may cause some trouble, let the owners comment on this one.

montsa007

Adept
Sep 28, 2011
It will be worth waiting mate (we are almost there) as new devices will be launched and the price of existing ones will fall down. But how long it will take for the price cuts to reach India, that am not sure of.