Planning to buy HTC One V - Is my decision correct?

bluevolt

Disciple
I am in mobile market for past 15 days and after some research only one phone has touched my heart i.e. HTC One V. It's design is fantastic, screen is good, has expandable memory, has snob value, good build quality, expandable memory, running latest android os, fair battery capacity, camera is better than most phones in this category etc. Only issue is single core 1GHZ processor because of which many have turned against this phone. I haven't tried this phone my self yet but from most youtube videos I can see that this phone hardly lags or slow downs. It is almost capable of running most of the applications.

Now coming down to my requirements from a phone

-> Basic phone usage i.e incoming/outgoing calls and SMSes.
-> Internet browsing/Email
-> Music listening
-> Taking Photos
-> Watching movies/youtube videos

After considering these requirements I find HTV One V a perfect phone for myself. I hardly play any game and it looks VFM. (Retailing for around 17K with 8GB card).

Please suggest me whether I should stick to this phone or is there any new better model coming up?

Xperia U is ruled out because of non-expandable memory, Xperia Sola and others are not touching heart (not feeling exclusive as design is almost same across the XPERIA range).

Any other phones in my fixed budget of 20K?

^^^ it's a good phone but ruled out because of no official ics update...

I am in mobile market for last one month but heavily confused between htc one v/xperia sola. Both have their own pros and cons.

Since I will not buy a phone for next three years i want a phone which will keep me happy for next three years....my usage includes

-> Basic phone usage i.e incoming/outgoing calls and SMSes.-> Internet browsing/Email
-> Music listening
-> Taking Photos
-> Watching movies/youtube videos
-> casual gaming
-> ebooks reading

Is there any new phone from samsung/htc/sony etc coming to india within one month of time and better than htc one v/xperia sola? OR Should I just choose between these two phones?

If it is possible, look at Motorola Atrix 2. A very little over your budget, but it is undoubtedly an incredible phone. My buddy has it, saying from second hand knowledge. :)

(And it is better than both the Atrix 2 and Sola).

Xperia P is totally worth at 21.5k from Homeshop. That coupon still works. Now I have started getting a taste for Android

Pros are many, so specifically will point out some things which I feel are cons.

1. Non removable battery. What if the battery goes kaput?

2. Requires microsim. Means if the handset goes bad, you wont be finding any spare microsim handset to continue using your connection until the Handset comes back from service centre.

But even the most popular iphones are built in the same way.

@bluevolt - Please avoid multiple threads for the same purpose. Threads merged. If you need to change the title PM me. Update the first post with newer queries if needed and mention it as edit to attract more attention to it.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Requires microsim. Means if the handset goes bad, you wont be finding any spare microsim handset to continue using your connection until the Handset comes back from service centre.

But even the most popular iphones are built in the same way.

Are you sure :p Xperia U comes with official microSIM to regular SIM adapters. There are plenty of micro SIM to regular SIM adapters in the market. Else you can borrow one from a friend using Xperia U and use the SIM with any other handset. No need to worry regarding this!

Last edited by a moderator:
So you saying this is applicable to Xperia P too? :scared14: If yes, then I would like to withdraw my point from cons ;)
Are you sure :p Xperia U comes with official microSIM to regular SIM adapters. There are plenty of micro SIM to regular SIM adapters in the market. Else you can borrow one from a friend using Xperia U and use the SIM with any other handset. No need to worry regarding this!

@chiragsthakur
If battery goes kaput (And it surely will, oh come on no battery lasts forever IT WILL wear down someday and start suffering from loose motions or may get swollen) + the phone goes out of warranty, then, you'll be on the mercy of Sony or on your own.

Sony service centre guys may charge a bomb to repair the phone or may raise their hands saying its out of warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a nice phone but there are few issues also. I am using it for almost a week so can share very limited info.
Pros:
Great display and sound quality.
Vibration mode is much better than my N8.
Design is cool. Fits very well in the palm and gives a good grip.
Screen is very responsive. just like Samsung high end phones.
Cons:
BATTERY SUCKS.
The menu buttons are not responsive many a times specially the return and the middle button. (feather touch buttons)
The phone tends to be too slow at times like some app is screwing it. Irrespective of any major apps running in the background.
A minor bug when connecting to WIFI and configuring DNS but it has a workaround now.
RAM is only 512 so if you are used to check the used memory and other technical stuff this may worry you and send you killing apps. (I did that initially. Kill all apps periodically).
Syncing and managing phone on PC is cumbersome task. (Not as easy as Nokia PC Suite).
Can NOT select more than 10 contacts if you have to send to other cell. (but this is reqd very rarely and there are workarounds using PC and MS Outlook).
Camera sucks for indoor photos.

^^^ poll will give me a idea which one is more popular phone.

If you can add 1-2k extra to your budget, better get a Galaxy Nexus (You WILL have to haggle with the seller). I've been using it for maybe about a month? (Actually more than that) and its pretty good value for money. My main usage is listening to music, I don't play games or take pics, the camera is pretty good and the hardware is real good + GUARANTEED updates by Google + HUGE hacker community working day and night to spruce up the phone. It can be easily mistaken for an S3.

Downside
No warranty as its an imported phone, but I don't give a eff to the warranty.
No Expandable memory (You get 13GB memory to use), this thing was irritating me, but had been using a Blackberry with an 8GB card which never got full, so I switched to Nexus.

Imo that'll be better than buying a phone with no removable battery that WILL go kaput after the warranty is expired and am not sure what can be done with the phone then.

Can select more than 10 contacts if you have to send to other cell. (but this is reqd very rarely and there are workarounds using PC and MS Outlook).

Just use the export to SD card option in contacts to make a vcf file, trasfer the same (single .vcf) file to your other phone - import from SD card on your other phone.

PS:: Intended to work only on phones that support SD cards and vcf files.

I own a sola,just about 2 months old and now the touch screen is not working well.I think its some software bug,but can be related to the hardware too.If you lookup sony mobile forums there are a hell lot of guys complaining about the same.Otherwise its a nice phone with good screen,good musiq quality,bettery is just average.

Back