Video Plasma or LCD ? HD Ready or Full HD?

its not too costly man.... web site mention that 1100$ is the price....
dont tell me it costs more than 80k in india - almost double :mad:
instead of PV80 why not PZ85....advanced motion tech + full HD :)
try to get price at least..

80K, kidding? Its selling for 1.5L mrp amd negotiated price of about 1.3 could be achieved. We still live in third world country mate.

avi_avadhut said:
its not too costly man.... web site mention that 1100$ is the price....
dont tell me it costs more than 80k in india - almost double :mad:
instead of PV80 why not PZ85....advanced motion tech + full HD :)
try to get price at least..

well in asia the FHD version of panasonic plasma is called PY800.

adder said:
well in asia the FHD version of panasonic plasma is called PY800.

In that case it will cost about 1.2L. Ok Plasma is out of window for sure, for me atleast the display is of no use if its not full hd (1080p).

~LT

sarang said:
@LT: If you dont mind could you please elaborate why are you so fervently behind spatial resolutions?

Quite simple... if had been it been the reason that I was going to use the LCD/Plasma for TV/DVD watching, then I wouldn;t have built my htpc in first place and would have taken any low resolution display out there. However, for me LCD means one very very important thing: refined viewing, where in two consecutive vertical line, no matter how close they are, they are distinct. Hence I built up my HD source(HTPC), now with my source in place, I ain't looking down any further then full hd.

~LT

Rave said:
can anyone call up their dealer there and get the best price for Samsung series 5 32" LCD TV?

You in pune? If you are interested in purchasing, then the best price would be upon the number of orders we come up.

~LT

@LT: Got ur point, in that case i'd reckon you get urself a small display like 14-15" for ur browsing needs and use a plasma, believe me one good look at the PV80 in comparison with ur chosen LCD will surely make you want the plasma.

Unless you are doing presentations to a small audience in ur place, the larger TVs as pc display ain't gonna help much. The larger display will be used for watching TV/Movies and not just DVD movies even HD looks a lot better on the PV80 as compared to the sammy series 6 you are considering.

Ask avadhut about our experience, when we stepped out to explore we were hell bent on getting a FHD display and that too an LCD however we were enlightened after a decent rendevouz with the PV80.

Your 9600 has dual displ support, pass the HDMI to the plasma, and the dvi to the smaller displ and you are through. Even if you are against non FHD panels whats the harm in giving it a try in a head-to-head comparison.

Just a friendly advice mate. If we are spending our hard earned moolah, we'd better spend it on worthy equipment.

sarang said:
@LT: Got ur point, in that case i'd reckon you get urself a small display like 14-15" for ur browsing needs and use a plasma, believe me one good look at the PV80 in comparison with ur chosen LCD will surely make you want the plasma.

Unless you are doing presentations to a small audience in ur place, the larger TVs as pc display ain't gonna help much. The larger display will be used for watching TV/Movies and not just DVD movies even HD looks a lot better on the PV80 as compared to the sammy series 6 you are considering.

You are missing one thing here. Mine driver is going to be HTPC. Hence resolution matters and it matters a lot on big displays. Hence FHD.

sarang said:
Ask avadhut about our experience, when we stepped out to explore we were hell bent on getting a FHD display and that too an LCD however we were enlightened after a decent rendevouz with the PV80.

I had viewed both FHD and 720p on plasma. FHD was way way better compared to 720p. FHD/40" costs 1.2

sarang said:
Just a friendly advice mate. If we are spending our hard earned moolah, we'd better spend it on worthy equipment.

Just my point if I am going to spend, it will be FHD.

@sarang,

Mine question to you: If you suddenly end up with a FHD source what are you going to do past that? Buy another LCD/Monitor?

~LT

@LT since u are going to use it with a PC ur choice of an lcd is good since there are lot of static images that can cause a potential Burn In in plasmas.

adder said:
@LT since u are going to use it with a PC ur choice of an lcd is good since there are lot of static images that can cause a potential Burn In in plasmas.

Burn-in is almost an non issue now. Image retention is a slight problem, but can be taken care of with a simple screen saver :) Stop churning out the same reasons :p Modern plasmas do not suffer from burn-in, and modern LCDs are not plagued by low black levels and poor viewing angles.

Each do have their pros and cons. If intended use is exclusively movies, whether HD, FHD, or SD, then a plasma is a no brainer. For extensive PC usage however, an LCD would be the more practical choice.

zhopudey said:
Burn-in is almost an non issue now. Image retention is a slight problem, but can be taken care of with a simple screen saver :) Stop churning out the same reasons :p Modern plasmas do not suffer from burn-in, and modern LCDs are not plagued by low black levels and poor viewing angles.

Each do have their pros and cons. If intended use is exclusively movies, whether HD, FHD, or SD, then a plasma is a no brainer. For extensive PC usage however, an LCD would be the more practical choice.

on the contrary mate plasmas do suffer from burn in even the new models.which is said in the review of this panasonic plasma.
Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ81E - DigitalVersus

oh no.....
i was thinking to wait for FHD plasma..... again confused now... :mad:

i think i should go with Sam A5 or Sony V - 40"
sarang - man..... what you say...

avi_avadhut said:
oh no.....
i was thinking to wait for FHD plasma..... again confused now... :mad:

i think i should go with Sam A5 or Sony V - 40"
sarang - man..... what you say...

Mate if you are interested ping me, even I am going to buy the same. I am going to get Sam A5 by 20th. I am just waiting for good numbers of buyers so that I can bargain with the distributor.

Let me know.

~LT

well... i can but i am thinking what to do?
sony V 40" model which costs 83 MRP... sarang said one dealer can manage it upto 66 something..... tempting price for me re...
ask dist for prices and schemes like 0% interest and 0% processing fees.
that is what mentioned in Times so check for it. and other details like down payement and installments and free gifts off course :)
if dist comes with killer dill then i might jump with you for A5.
coz no double scheme for sony :(

not able to decide sony V series 40" or sam A5 40"

anybody else can help me between these ???

@Avi: The large display is for Movies/TV/Gaming usage, and not as a PC monitor. As a monitor for my HTPC i'll get a small 13-14" lcd if at all needed. The monitorish isage is only going to be for configuration tuning of the PC, so it can take a lower priority.

I'm sticking to my decision of getting a plasma as it clearly outperforms the LCD on many counts that i care about.

I always believe is getting things best for their usage, and i am convinced that the PV80 is the best i could afford to do the intended job.

avi_avadhut said:
sony V 40" model which costs 83 MRP... sarang said one dealer can manage it upto 66 something..... tempting price for me re...
that is what mentioned in Times so check for it. and other details like down payement and installments and free gifts off course :)

Sam A5, post many reviews and readings.

Afterall its the same panel.

~LT

avi_avadhut said:

well the sony has a advantage is contrast and black levels.so simple thing is are u prepared to pay for the advantage.

Back