Video Plasma or LCD ? HD Ready or Full HD?

adder said:
well the sony has a advantage is contrast and black levels.so simple thing is are u prepared to pay for the advantage.

Honestly had them compared, with same visual settings. I had to strain hard to find them.

~LT

hey man sarang...
dont make me more confuse yaar...
SD and DVD upsacling is very much important for me.
coz my usage will be
Cable TV + DVD only.... hardly 0.0001% gaming or computer stuff....

avi_avadhut said:
hey man sarang...
coz my usage will be

Then there's nothing to be confused about. Go get the PV80 :)

avi_avadhut said:
hey man sarang...
coz my usage will be

zhopu stated correctly there.
If you are gonna watch mostly SD content, then remember that lesser the upsscaling needed by the panel's processing engine the better image quality u'll get.

The PV80 being a non FHD panel, has to upscale the image lesser as compared to the series 5 or Sony fhds you are cosidering.

I wonder what tiled you in favour of the LCD even after seeing the evidence in broad daylight (pun intended: remember the Chroma experience :p )

Stick to the PV80.

avi_avadhut said:
hey man sarang...
coz my usage will be

well for ur application choice is simple,get a plasma.

Whats the difference between the S series and V series?? I thought they were the same panels except in looks... So y do u want to spend more and get the V?

jaber said:
Whats the difference between the S series and V series?? I thought they were the same panels except in looks... So y do u want to spend more and get the V?

well they use a different backlight(wide gamot color display) in V series.

Guys,

Had an excellent chance of using HDMI demoed on LCD (FHD) and Plasma(HD Ready).

I am 1000% convinced that I am going to go for LCD Sam A550. Everything was set at the same setting. There was no difference among 6vs5.

HDMI display was glorious on Sammy.

We tried the same thing with Plasma and instantly felt that Plasma's invariably end up blurring pixels on the display, hence giving a false impression of smooth where in reality that have just blurred edges (Common trick in Adobe Photoshop).

So guys if you ever decide attaching a PC/Laptop to your Plasma, then Plasma is the wrong decision. Plasma cant come close to crisp clear display as compared to LCD.

~LT

more confusion :(
anyway what did you see using HDMI ?
any content from laptop to LCD and Plasma ?
you tried PV80 ? i was thinking that i wont connect PC to display but no DVD player is capable of HD content so i have to play HD movies on PC and get them to panel ....... so as per you plasma is bad ?

avi_avadhut said:
more confusion :(

anyway what did you see using HDMI ?

any content from laptop to LCD and Plasma ?

Yup thats what we did, what you see on monitor is whats displayed on LCD, nothing converted/reinterpreted.

avi_avadhut said:
you tried PV80 ? i was thinking that i wont connect PC to display but no DVD player is capable of HD content so i have to play HD movies on PC and get them to panel ....... so as per you plasma is bad ?

PV80 wasnt there.

If its PC/LAPTOP yeah its bad, 1000%, the problem is in plasma, the pixels is never in its area, but overflows, hence blurry. If you want to try it, visit xcite at Aundh (near Rahul), just after the bridge once you come from wakad. The guys there will give you the demo.

Ok BTW I am getting quote of max 60k for 550 Samsung, anyone interested in joining in? I can bargain better :p.

Yeah one more thing Samsung A550 now has DC:40000.

~LT

linuxtechie said:
Ok BTW I am getting quote of max 60k for 550 Samsung, anyone interested in joining in? I can bargain better :p.

~LT

well if u guys want to buy for a cheaper rate why dont u try the grey market,bcause if u buy it officialy in showroom u only get a 1 year warranty which isnt a big deal since even if the something goes wrong with lcds it will be electronics so they just change the entire circuit board which costs about 4k to 8k.and the u will still be saving more then that when u buy in the grey.

linuxtechie said:
Yup thats what we did, what you see on monitor is whats displayed on LCD, nothing converted/reinterpreted.

PV80 wasnt there.

If its PC/LAPTOP yeah its bad, 1000%, the problem is in plasma, the pixels is never in its area, but overflows, hence blurry. If you want to try it, visit xcite at Aundh (near Rahul), just after the bridge once you come from wakad. The guys there will give you the demo.

~LT

i presume that 60k is for the 42" LCD right? can you get the price for a 32" 5 Series there as well? just for my reference?

adder said:
well even in other forums around the world u well never get a honest reply about the discussion lcd vs plasma,since there a lot of plasma fan boys and lcd fan boys,if plasma was so superior then why is that lcds have take over the lead in flat screen displays,even though the lcds was more expensive then plasma people still prefered lcds,why is pioneer who makes the best reference level plasmas also is switching to lcds and they are are not going to produce in house plasma panels anymore but are going to use panasonic plasma.

and the samsung LA40A550 is realy good,but being a FHD lcd will not be good for SD content for that matter any flat panel display that is FHD including the pioneer KURO plasma is no better then FHD LCD,and lcds like samsung series 8 contrast levels are so close to the pioneer kuro just around 20% less.

Why plasma is dying is anybody's guess. If you have a reason, please feel free to share it. Its not the first time that better technology has been displaced by more 'popular' tech.

Couple of reasons I can think of :

- LCDs are 'new' (compared to plasmas). Public perception is to go with the latest, regardless of whether its good or bad. LCDs too have seen a lot of development, stuff like HD resolutions and all are pushed as great new features even though they're a little pointless for day-to-day use; whereas Plasma tech has largely matured to the point where its more about refining the tech.

- Plasmas suffer(ed) from burn-in issues, which have largely been taken care of. But, you know how it is once you're caught on the wrong foot. A simple analogy is how the "AMD processors overheat" comment is still floating around even now.

- LCDs are more power efficient. This is true, but not entirely.

The biggest power hog in an LCD is its backlight; this backlight remains on perpetually.. hence an LCD that claims a power consumption of 200W will use ~200W regardless of what images are displayed on the screen. In comparison a plasma's pixel cells can be thought of as acting as individual 'lights' that go on and off. If you're watching a movie with dark scenes - assuming 50% of the scene is black - then effectively half the cells are off and consuming no power at that moment, which means the plasma's power consumption is automatically cut by almost half. In other words, an LCD's power consumption is consistent.. a plasma's power consumption can vary dramatically based on what you're viewing.

- Another reason I can think of is sizes. Plasma TVs were and still are made at sizes >50 inches. LCDs in comparison have gone right down to 20 inches. Not everyone is looking at a screen large enough to fill their wall.

Pioneer is looking to outsource their panels from Panasonic due to financial reasons, not because their technology is bad. Who knows, they'll probably license their Kuro tech to Panasonic.

adder said:
anyway take a look at the comparison shots from series 8 vs the very best pioneer,notice how improved the image processing in samsung series 8 compared to older series.

a SD content in a samsung series 8.notice the detail under the turban in the shadow region which the pioneer plasma cannot show.

Good luck spotting that in a full-motion video :hap2:

When looking at the screenshots, the first thing that strikes me is that the colours seem off on the Samsung - is it just me or is that an unnaturally pink statue and blue wall in the Samsung? Not to mention the blurriness on the Samsung even on the 1080p vid.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Why plasma is dying is anybody's guess. If you have a reason, please feel free to share it. Its not the first time that better technology has been displaced by more 'popular' tech.

Couple of reasons I can think of :
- LCDs are 'new' (compared to plasmas). Public perception is to go with the latest, regardless of whether its good or bad. LCDs too have seen a lot of development, stuff like HD resolutions and all are pushed as great new features even though they're a little pointless for day-to-day use; whereas Plasma tech has largely matured to the point where its more about refining the tech.
- Plasmas suffer(ed) from burn-in issues, which have largely been taken care of. But, you know how it is once you're caught on the wrong foot. A simple analogy is how the "AMD processors overheat" comment is still floating around even now.
- LCDs are more power efficient. This is true, but not entirely.
The biggest power hog in an LCD is its backlight; this backlight remains on perpetually.. hence an LCD that claims a power consumption of 200W will use ~200W regardless of what images are displayed on the screen. In comparison a plasma's pixel cells can be thought of as acting as individual 'lights' that go on and off. If you're watching a movie with dark scenes - assuming 50% of the scene is black - then effectively half the cells are off and consuming no power at that moment, which means the plasma's power consumption is automatically cut by almost half. In other words, an LCD's power consumption is consistent.. a plasma's power consumption can vary dramatically based on what you're viewing.
- Another reason I can think of is sizes. Plasma TVs were and still are made at sizes >50 inches. LCDs in comparison have gone right down to 20 inches. Not everyone is looking at a screen large enough to fill their wall.

Pioneer is looking to outsource their panels from Panasonic due to financial reasons, not because their technology is bad. Who knows, they'll probably license their Kuro tech to Panasonic.
Good luck spotting that in a full-motion video :hap2:
When looking at the screenshots, the first thing that strikes me is that the colours seem off on the Samsung - is it just me or is that an unnaturally pink statue and blue wall in the Samsung? Not to mention the blurriness on the Samsung even on the 1080p vid.
well lcds arent exactly new infact i knew about plasmas only around 1999,but i knew lcds even before that, but lcds were very small used mostly in aircrafts,cockpit displays,and monitors.at that time large lcds were just too expensive was very very inferior to plasma.
but times have changed.today lcds are very competitive despite the fact they were expensive people prefererd the sharp picture of the lcds,if u had seen gadget guru 2years ago in NDTV a long time back there were various flat screen tvs switched On and people were asked which picture they prefered and picture of lcds is what 90% prefered and the they weren't told which was plasma or lcd nor the brands and logo which were covered.
companies like SONY who used to make the finest CRT TV,used to sell plasmas as well as lcds but a company like sony decided to go for lcd (i know there could be various reasons),but if lcds were bad why do u thing they went for it and they themself neither made plasma nor lcds but they did go lcd route.and i remember clearly at the time when they were just about to quit selling plasma a 32inch sony lcd used to be priced at 1.6lakh to 2lakhs for the same price they used to sell a 42inch plasma.

finaly just like audio where one person may like boomy bass and other a tight bass ,same goes for this ,its upto the consumer to decide.u may find the picture of plasma good ,but other may find the picture of lcds better.:)
IMO late 2009 lcds tech may surpass the contrast levels of plasma like pioneer kuro.

and about burn in plasmas they still suffer
Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ81E - DigitalVersus and this one of the latest and most expensive models.

My mom recently bought a 42" LG plasma model 42pg21r. Well she got this plasma as she got it for 45k in exchange for the old 29" inch crt. I wasnt really excited when i heard she told me abt it (mainly coz i wasnt asked for my expert opinion :bleh: ) because LG really doesnt make anything good according to me.

But i am pleasantly suprised by this display. Well the tata sky signal really isnt good enuf to be viewed on a 42" display but it seemed pretty good after i was done with the picture settings (the default presets are hopeless). Also the burnout paradise and blue ray movies look pretty damm good on this panel. Its a shame that is just HD ready but since its mostly going to be used to view tata sky its ok i guess.

I am no expert but how do these pictures look?

Back